Gaming PC Build Advice

mitchbob123

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Hi, I am wanting to get more into pc gaming and as such have decided to build a "mid-range" computer. This is the first time I am going to attempt anything like this so my knowledge of these subjects only go as far as my few days of research.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next couple of months

Budget Range: $800 - $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/Recording

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor(Specs), Case (Can find out if needed)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Thus far have used Newegg.ca

Parts Preferences: Anything Reliable, and somewhat cost efficient

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: According to the Specs page 1680 x 1050 @60Hz. Will probably get a newer one, but not till awhile after I order my pc parts so any suggestions on monitors would also be nice.

Additional Comments: Want a reliable machine that will last me years and give me a smooth gaming experience.

I already have done some research the past couple of days and found some parts, please give me some feedback on the parts I have chosen as well as any way I can decrease price/enhance performance.

Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 $149.99

Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) $229.99

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB $49.99

Graphics - Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB $279.99

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM $109.99

Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast Series V2 650W $99.99

Cooling - Cool Master Hyper 212+ $34.99
Also looked at - Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler $70.99, but this is a considerably more expensive and newegg.ca is currently out of stock.

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit $119.99

My Newegg.ca cart is at $1074.92. As I previously said, if there is anything in here that could be changed for lower price or better performance, please let me know. If theres anything I missed or if additional information is required also let me know. Thanks.

You can upgrade to the 6970 for better performance. Get the Hyper 212 EVO instead; better contact with cpu via heatpipes. Don't bother with the H-coolers. They perform the same as EVO (the one you have atleast); otherwise, at most it will be a 2C diff or so.