Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help choose between these PSUs

Last response: in Components
Share
May 20, 2012 7:14:35 PM

I am trying to decide between these three psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The system will have a single GTX 570, an OC'd i7-3770k, and a few hard drives.

I do care most about reliability, second about noise and price. I don't care whether it's modular. Should I care about efficiency? Are there any other considerations?

Thank you!

More about : choose psus

a c 164 ) Power supply
May 20, 2012 7:40:38 PM

seasonic followed by the corsair TX version 2 followed by the old TX

all three are very good PSU and will do the job.
May 20, 2012 8:07:54 PM

The Corsair V2 is so inexpensive right now, it's hard not to find that attractive. Is there a catch?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2012 8:19:20 PM

if you want a modular psu, the seasonic m12II 620w, OCZ ZT 650w or the Rosewill Hive 650w should fit your need. if you rather use a non modular, that corsair tx 650w, seasonic s12II 620w should cover it.

if you plan to sli, get the 750 watt psu.

for other psu recommendations at various price points, i labled in my sig.
a c 1107 ) Power supply
May 20, 2012 8:42:52 PM

ratsa said:
...
I do care most about reliability, second about noise and price. I don't care whether it's modular. Should I care about efficiency? Are there any other considerations?

Thank you!

Efficiency determines how much heat is created during the AC to DC conversion process.

Since heat is the enemy of electronic components, the more efficient the AC to DC conversion process, the less heat that will be created.

Less heat means that the power supply's cooling fan can operate at a lower speed resulting in a quieter unit.

Is the PSU going to be connected to a UPS?
May 20, 2012 9:23:52 PM

I have not researched UPS's yet. Does that affect choice of PSU?

Best solution

a c 1107 ) Power supply
May 20, 2012 9:47:20 PM
Share

ratsa said:
I have not researched UPS's yet. Does that affect choice of PSU?

It will if you already have a UPS and especially if the UPS is a simulated sine wave type UPS.

Of the three power supplies in your list the Seasonic X-Series 650W is the only one that I know for sure will work with a simulated sine wave UPS.

If you don't have the UPS yet you can avoid any problems by getting a pure sine wave UPS. That way you can use any of the three PSUs in your list with the UPS.
May 20, 2012 11:58:17 PM

ko888 said:
It will if you already have a UPS and especially if the UPS is a simulated sine wave type UPS.

Of the three power supplies in your list the Seasonic X-Series 650W is the only one that I know for sure will work with a simulated sine wave UPS.

If you don't have the UPS yet you can avoid any problems by getting a pure sine wave UPS. That way you can use any of the three PSUs in your list with the UPS.


Is this related to the psu's hold up time? I can't find published hold up times for the PSU's.
a c 1107 ) Power supply
May 21, 2012 12:43:22 AM

ratsa said:
Is this related to the psu's hold up time? I can't find published hold up times for the PSU's.

Hold up time isn't a commonly published spec. Most test reviews don't even test it.

Actually the problem is related to the design of the PSU's Active PFC circuit.

Some Active PFC circuit designs can't deal with a non-sinusoidal waveform when the UPS is operating in battery mode. This causes the UPS to fail the switchover to battery operation or it'll cause the UPS to report an overload condition with odd noises (e.g. groaning noises) resulting in the UPS shutting itself down.
May 21, 2012 5:37:27 PM

Thanks.

If I go with 3930K instead of 3770K, will these 650 watt PSUs still work?

I hope so--I've already ordered the Corsair 650TX v2.
a c 1107 ) Power supply
May 21, 2012 8:42:17 PM

ratsa said:
Thanks.

If I go with 3930K instead of 3770K, will these 650 watt PSUs still work?

I hope so--I've already ordered the Corsair 650TX v2.

How much of an overclock are you expecting to use with the i7-3930K?
May 21, 2012 9:00:07 PM

I wasn't planning to OC.
a c 1107 ) Power supply
May 21, 2012 9:16:49 PM

ratsa said:
I wasn't planning to OC.

Then you should be fine with the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2.
May 25, 2012 2:05:48 AM

ko888 said:
Then you should be fine with the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2.


I bought the Corsair TX650 and it seems to be DOA.
a c 1107 ) Power supply
May 25, 2012 2:19:18 AM

ratsa said:
I bought the Corsair TX650 and it seems to be DOA.

From Corsair's FAQs:

My Machine doesn’t start up when I hit the power button, is the PSU faulty?

Disconnect everything from your PSU except for one single fan that should be connected directly to one of the Molex connectors. Then, get a small piece of wire, paper clip, or suitable object and short the green pin and a black pin on the 24-pin connector on the power supply. The voltage present is a very low signaling voltage so no worries of being shocked. Your PSUs fan should spin along with the fan you have connected to it. If this is the case, your PSU may not be receiving the power on signal from your motherboard and you should consider other causes of the problem you’re having.

If that doesn't work then contact your vendor to exchange it for another new one.

You can also try powering it with a different power supply unit if you have access to one for testing purposes.
May 25, 2012 2:26:10 AM

Best answer selected by ratsa.
!