Crossfire or a single card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tig3rbait

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
im thinking of getting a cyberpower desktop
whats a good pair of cards to get without breaking the bank?
i wanna run shooter games maxed out at say 1600x1200.
im looking at 2x 6850's.or should i get 1 powerful card.thx
for the help guys.

Solution
If you don't want to take the time and learn to put together your own rig (nothing wrong with that), then I wouldn't recommend messing with a dual card setup. It can be a nuisance and unless you like messing with it to get it to work right regularly, you will probably be happier with one decent card that works all the time.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
It's always better to get a single, more powerful card initially so you leave yourself open for upgrades in the future. You'll be saving on noise and power consumption as well. HD6950 or 560Ti are both absolutely great cards at the price point.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Cyberpower... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We can help you put a better, cheaper build together.

But if it must be Cyberpower, if you can stretch for 2x6950, go ahead and do crossfire. If not, get a single 6970. 2x6850 is probably similar in performance (maybe a little better) than a 6970, but if prices and performance are similar, single card is always the better option.

But there's a rumor AMD is releasing their 7xxx series cards (at least some of them) before the end of the year, so it might not be a bad idea to wait.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Let him be. If he want CP to build it for him, we cannot do anything. Anyway, its his money. But OP, if you DIY, you can save some money.

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
If you don't want to take the time and learn to put together your own rig (nothing wrong with that), then I wouldn't recommend messing with a dual card setup. It can be a nuisance and unless you like messing with it to get it to work right regularly, you will probably be happier with one decent card that works all the time.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.