Alternative cooler for 560ti DS

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have both a stock 560ti and the 560ti DS, both from EVGA and I have to say that the cooling on the DS is terrible....

Is there any alternative cooling solution that would work well?

external exhaust is prefered

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I have read a lot of reviews that had no issue with the stock cooler. I'm curious what the beef is?

I have seen sweet aftermarket liquid cooled solutions. Kinda defeats the purpose of buying a stock overclocked card with a huge heat sink thou...

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Im not sure what the problem is but the stock cooler on the standard 560ti keep the card on average 10 degrees cooler than the DS cooler, and under high load almost 20

I dont overclock my cards typically but when I do i dont like seeing one card at 100 when the other is at 79, especially if the other is supposed to be better at cooling

The case I use is the Cooler Master HAF X case, and I have all of the extra fans installed and in place

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
yeah that is weird. I have an evga 560 ti 448 DS, which runs hotter than the 384 core 560ti. Mine still maxes out at 75C so yes there is something wrong with your card i bet. Check to make sure both fans are actually operating. I had a gigabyte card previously that came with a broken fan...it actually stayed cool somehow, but made a sound like a chainsaw. GL

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Well i took the card out and cleaned it out both fans are running properly abd the rpms look goo in afterburner

the only thing i can think of is that the car is in sli against the other card and in the HAF X case you can get a vga duct fan which kinda covers over the end of the card to bring cool air in, currently im not too concerned as my temp at the moment are

DS:29 C
Standard: 24 C

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
lol yeah r u kiddin me? I'm idling higher than that with like 800 fans in my case. What you have is great.

I think all your seeing here is a difference in the automatic fan speed settings of 2 diff cards. Did you try setting them manually to really test the diff? Is the DS overclocked and the standard not? Is the DS above or below the standard in sli? These things could all contribute.

I have noticed from reviews and personal experience that EVGA's double fan heat sink is technically inferior to MSI and Gigabyte. It does exactly what its supposed to, but runs an insignificant amount hotter than the other brands. I think MSI' twin frozr has been around for a while so its a really refined heat sink. Gigabyte just fits as many big ass fans as they can to the thing with no regard for aesthetics.

My DS runs very quiet, but is not the coolest card at 75C load. My room mate has the same card with standard evga cooling. The 1 small fan really spools up a lot under load especially if your case cooling is anything below mid range. He just put a massive side fan on and it still runs louder than mine, but it still improved noticably.

I still think you should get one of those sweet aftermarket water coolers for it lol.

monsta

Splendid
Actually the Windforce cooler on the Gigabyte cards are excellent, not loud and the card stays cool, the heatsink design is awesome , it not just about slapping as many fans as you can with no regard in aesthetics, I own 2 of the cards and can tell you from my actual experience with them. The MSI cooling is excellent, probably the best on these cards next to the Asus.
The EVGA cards do suffer higher temperatures its just the design of their cooling on their cards...its not the best to be honest.
Check your case for airflow if it can be improved in any way and adjust the fan settings for your cards yourself instead of auto by adding a profile.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
haha wow hit a nerve on the gigabyte hate did i? All I said was that they are hideous. I also mentioned they work better than the evga design. I overgeneralized and I do not apologize. Other than that you just repeated everything I already said lol.

Aesthetics are obviously not even an issue especially for the op, but for the record (ya im keepin one) the 560ti looks pretty cool I think. I had one for a while until it failed. I don't like the way the 570 and 560 448 core looks with just one more fan tacked on. Have you ever seen the gigabyte 560ti superclocked? They don't make it anymore...probably not because its hideous, but ya...just google it.

The gigabyte 560 ti I owned also ran very cool, eventually thou (5 days of use) it developed a screaching noise in one of the fans. I think this is something that could happen to any brand's heatsinks thou rather than a design flaw. These things are all made of very cheap parts in the end.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
LOL this is not an EVGA forum...its toms hardware. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have had hands on experience with the hardware in question...yes that much is obvious.

Feel free to contribute monsta, I apologize, I was angry at first that we kind of repeated each other, but I guess its more of a double confirmation than a repeat.

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i dont think the twin fan design is the problem, adding more fans or a variation of the design wont have much of an affect, I believe its the internal exhaust and the heat generated being trapped in the case and redistributed over the card,

are there any aftermarket external exhaust setups?

lastonestanding

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Well, I am running the evga 560ti DS, the dual fan setup looks fine, very much like a reference design actually yet cools for crap! Now this is the DS so it is overclocked to 900MHz core and 1053MHz mem clock which does factor in to the heat. I have tons of room in the case with a large fan right outside of the gpu slots (thermaltake element G case), and it gets extremely hot. idles around 54*! Once its working decently, say 70% load it runs the fans to 70% or 3400rpms. Still tends to hit 80-82* and holy crap is it loud. I have not had any other 560's but I am thinking this is poor heatsink or vent design on these cards from EVGA.

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Exactly, finally somebody knows my pain lol I wonder if swapping out the thermal paste would make a difference?, I have the HAFX case with all the goodies for fans and the temps just suck on this thing

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
lol yess evga does not make the best heatsinks, MSI does apparently. I think we covered this a few months ago. Now you two can be evga rage buddies who for some reason decided against returning the card.

Running mine at 915mhz 1.1volts and it idles 37C currently and 75ish at load with random spikes near what you guys are getting. 78ish. Fan speed and sound has not been an issue for me at all.

lastonestanding

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
This is a forum, voicing concerns is what you do here. You seemed to let monsta get you agitated and now you're venting at us for some reason.

Why don't you help us out by sharing you're fan profile with us so we can see if that will help keep it a little less noisy? I would guess ambient room temp is the key here. I notice a 5-7* card temp difference when I have the room just 1-2* cooler. I also think maybe the case I have with the 240mm intake fan on the side may not be helping the internally vented card. Would someone who has good temps with the fans staying around 60-65% speed please share the profile you use?

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
yep, ambients. No fan profile, just auto. No venting, just being real with u gentlemen.

I'm curious where this is going is all. Do you hope to start some sort of evga petition or do you really think a fan profile is going to help? lol sorry I dont have anything positive to say. I was just curious where this was going. Good luck.

lastonestanding

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I am just looking to find if this is an issue with the gpu or cooling design, or if there is something I can do to remedy the issue. I have heard quite a few use a custom fan profile to get a 5+ degree cooler average temp so I was hoping to see what people used. I guess I will keep playing around with settings until I see a difference or else I will have to try to RMA for a new one.