Winrar issues massive CRC errors

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
This is a very weird problem. Anytime i download .rar files from the internet, it doesn't seem to matter if its a set of 50, 200mb files. or single files that ar anywhere from 40-100mbs i get completely random CRC errors in those files.

Example 1: I downloaded a set of 57 200mb files, and files 08,10,11,12,24, and 36 are corrupted. However if i re-download those files i will have a different set of corrupted files.

Example 2: I download a set of random sized files anywhere from 40-100mbs each all single files not .001 style setup of rar files. perhaps 2 or 3 of those files will have files inside that are corrupted. However if i wait a short while, and retry rarely but sometimes, they actually work, and do not seem to be corrupted. Sometimes after 3 or 4 tries they are still corrupted.

Example 3: I had a set of files totaling around 8gigs and i decided to pack them up. So i compressed them in rar format. to double check my work, i uncompressed them immediately and used them. they worked fine. around a month later i needed those files again and i uncompressed them again. around 4 of the files were corrupted. Every time i unrar them its the same files that are corrupted.

Many files have been downloaded off of rapidshare but not all.

I have already updated all my drivers to the latest including BIOS drivers
I have tried this problem on Winrar and 7zip same problem on both.
I have been advised my problem could be having a messy registry so i have used registry cleaners to no luck.

My current system setup is:
Asus Striker II NSE
2GB of OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Fatal1ty Edition Ram x2
Nvidia 9800 519mb x2 SLI
WD Raptor 150gb x2 Raid 0
Windows7 Professional x64bit
(also had this same problem on Windows7 Ultimate x64bit)

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
First thing I would do is a memtest as it seems like a likely cause to me. Could also be a hard drive issue but check RAM first.

NB: if it fails the memtest, it could either be the RAM or the motherboard at fault so further testing may be required.

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Ok thank you, i thought i had this fixed because i bought a stick of ram and did a memtest before and i had stopped the test around 7 million errors, so i RMA'd my ram. Now i did memtest again and i have only 378 errors, after around 12 hours I don't know which stick but i know i will test both of them.

G

To help with your archive, when you create a multi-part Rar archive, be sure under the General Options tab to use these options:

Archive Options - Put Recovery Record (Do not use - Put Authenticity verification)
Compression method - Best or Good
Split to volumes, bytes - DVD+R: 4481 mb or Zip 100: 98078 kb

On the Advanced tab - Set Recovery Record to about 5%

These days, many people either forget about the recovery options in WinRar or they aren't even aware of it's presence.

The other thing you can do to help protect the files is to use QuickPar to create a Par2 recovery file set.
You will find direction on the site, how to use QuickPar for this purpose.

If you're into downloading from UseNet, NewsBinPro is an excellent tool for this purpose and supports .nzb files

RAM errors are very, very bad. If you're getting ANY RAM errors on a test then you're entire system is seriously at risk. Unless you have ECC memory, RAM errors can silently corrupt your data at any time, even if you're just copying it from one place to another.

I personally wouldn't use that system at all until you're absolutely sure that the RAM is solid.

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
The problem i am having is that at the moment this is my only computer, everything i have is backed up externally and has been. and i am still testing to make sure if its the ram or the motherboard.

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I wanted to thank those for their comments and help, I have tested both sticks of ram individually that i have and both came up in my first DIMM with 0 errors. which leads me to believe it is the DIMM slot on my motherboard that is presenting errors. If anyone can think of any other possibility that this could be please let me know. Otherwise i am going to look to RMA my motherboard unfortunately.

If it's that second DIMM slot that's the only common thing in the error scenarios then you've probably identified the problem. It might just be some junk in the connector that's preventing the module from making solid contact. A magnifying glass and flashlight might reveal something.

You could try running a flat screwdriver or perhaps some emery cloth along the contacts - use care, you want to try to scrape off any gunk without actually bending the metal contacts past their elastic limit. Once you're done blow them out with compressed air to make sure that there's nothing in there that could short out a pair of contacts.

G

Before you RMA the motherboard, download the latest Western Digital diagnostic software for your hard drives and check them for any problems as this can cause corruption also.

Not knowing what type of connection you are using, it's also possible that the files could be getting corrupted during transfer. Bad line quality can do this or even problems anywhere between where you are and the server location.

This last is why I gave you the recommendations for using the recovery record in Rar archives and Par2 recovery sets.

Some Anti-Virus programs can even cause corruption by accessing the files during download or upload, causing some bits to go missing.

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Well, i think i might have figured it out. I thought it was weird that when my memory stick was bad last time and i had received 7 million errors and stopped. I figure if it was the DIMM i would recieve another 7 million or the stick would just not be recognized. So when i tried solo sticks it would have been in single channel mode, but with dual sticks it changes to dual channel mode. I just found out my memory timings were off in my bios for the memory sticks, as well as my voltage slightly. and i guess OCZ is more touchy memory than i'm used to. I just tested it with a recent download i just completed. and i got it with 0 errors. first time in like a month that has happened to me. I will run another memtest again, but i suspect it might be 0 errors this time.

By the way, i thank you for the info on winrar. I was one of the people who did not realize that option even existed...

G

Downloading files from NewsGroups (UseNet) is nothing new as it pre-dates P2P networks and Bittorrents. :)

I used to be heavily involved in the scene since 1994. But I got bored with the whole thing roughly a year ago.

Now everything I like to watch I can find on NetFlix, Hulu, FUNimation and other sites via internet streaming. As for software, most everything I have found useful, I pay for these days or I get through my TechNet Plus subscription.

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Well ok, so after further testing i was wrong. It gets even more interesting. When running memtest86 with memory stick 1, in DIMM A1 i get 0 errors, when running the same stick in DIMM B1 i get 0 errors.

Now Running stick 2 in DIMM B1 i get 13 errors, running the same stick in DIMM A1 i got 4 errors.

This is on 1 pass...
So i was thinking it was the memory. So i said ok fine, I'll just keep Stick 1 in DIMM A1, i reran memtest86 again just to be sure, and again it came with 0 errors. So i have also spoke with ASUS and we both thought that perhaps it was just Memory stick 2 that's busted. Which makes me really pissed off because i just got both of these sticks back from RMA services at OCZ.

We were thinking because Stick 2 is recieving different errors in different DIMMs and stick 1 is not receiving errors it cannot be possible to be the motherboard. Or the memory controller on the motherboard... It is most likely the memory. Any thoughts on this possibility from any of you while i continue to figure things out?

I really do appreciate everyone's help.

It sounds like you're doing fairly well at tracking down the issue.

I'd re-check the memory specs against your motherboard settings (voltage, memory speed, latencies) to make sure you're not trying to overdrive the memory. I once had a *very* intermittent memory problem which I eventually solved by lowering the memory frequency *below* the rated speed.

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I figured i should post actual info on the memory sorry:

OCZ PC3-10666 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Fatal1ty Edition Dual Channel Kit.

It is 2 sticks of 2GB memory

Timings were at 7-7-7-16 and voltage at Auto

Changed according to the recommendation of the manufacture to 9-9-9-20 and Voltage between 1.7 - 1.8 (currently at 1.7)

I did get the following report on test 1 on my DIMM B1 with the stick that gave me the most errors:

Error Confidence Value: 154
Lowest Error Address: 00043fcec80 - 1087.8MB
Highest Error Address: 00000000000 - 0.0MB
Bits in Error Mask: 00000002
Bits in Error = Total: 1 Min: 1 Max: 1 Avg: 0
Max Contigous Errors: 1

Errors per Memory Slot:
0:0 8:0
1:0 9:0
2:1 10:0
3:0 11:0
4:0 12:0
5:0 13:0
6:0 14:0
7:0 15:0

Test #5: 12 Errors
#7: 1 Error

Which was the largest report on my DIMM. I'm not sure if this helps anyone, I am barely able to read it. Keep in mind this was memtest86's report after 1 pass on the DIMM in B1 Slot. When i transfered the stick to the A1 slot it only had 4 errors total. and they were completely different errors.

You didn't mention what clock speed you're running the memory at - is it 1333? You could try lowering it to 1066 to see if that helps.

And when you said "changed according to the recommendation of the manufacturer...", does that mean the error report you included was produced with the motherboard set to the 9-9-9-20 latencies?

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
You know what, i did not even think to look at what clock speed i'm running my memory at. So i dont know, I will look into that as soon as i get home. I believe the memory is rated at 1333, so i'm guessing my bios is set to run on Auto. Upon speaking with ASUS again they said that auto is usually the best way to go because the onboard memory controller will do a great job running dual channel memory for you. (Apparenlty not in my case :lol: )

As for the test, it was run with the 9-9-9-20 latencies from the manufacturers recomendation. I should have been more clear...

At this point i believe it is only 1 stick running problems. I have only the 1st stick in at the moment and i have 0 problems with crc errors and things. So my wonder now is:
1) Is it possible that the 2nd stick of memory has some bad parts to it? with only 15 errors is that possible?
2) Is this just a problem running 2 sticks at once and nothing to do with the actual 2nd stick itself.

I'm more inclined to believe #2 because when i ran a test with stick 2 in solo i still had errors as i previously stated in DIMM A1 and DIMM B1...

Ideas? Thoughts?

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

Now i am home i checked in my bios and i believe, if i am reading it correctly, the memory is currently at 1066.7. The memory is rated for 1333. Could this be a problem?

What i see in my bios is as follows:

xMEM (DDR), Mhz Auto
Actual Mem (DDR),Mhz 1066.7

The problem is, its grey'd out, and does not give me the option to test it and play with it. As for testing various combinations...

I do not know any more combination's i can test because i have only 2 sticks of DDR3 memory...

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
yea, i dont really have a choice as to what my memory runs at in my bios. However i am at a point i do not know where else to go with this... other than calling OCZ for an RMA again, which i am really not happy about.

othernametaken

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I wanted thank everyone for their help. I also posted once or twice on another forum and someone suggested this following to me:

"
Give these settings a try:

Set AI Overclock Tuner to {Manual}
Set FSB Memory Clock Mode to {Unlinked}
Set MEM (DDR) Mhz to {1333}
Set LDT Frequency to {4X}
Set CPU VTT Voltage to {1.35 volts}
Set Memory Voltage to {1.7 volts}
Set ALL Spread Spectrum Controls to {Disabled}

Set Memory Timings to CL 9-9-9-20 (TCL-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Set Command Per Clock to {2 Clock}

See how these settings work for you. Report back your findings.
"

By doing this, and running memtest86 with both sticks in for 1 1/2 hours i came up with 0 errors. I'm assuming its fixed with that. I'm posting this for any future people who might look at this combination problem in the future. Again Thank you all so much for your help.

Christopher_35

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

mmmmmmmmm, why don't you take help of a software program?
It will be good for you as you have already tried your best and didn't get success. As far as I think, your files are corrupted. Yes they are corrupted. And to repair them, you need a repair tool. :)
Last month, I was also facing quite similar situation of CRC error. Then I first used the demo version and after having satisfactory, I got the full one. But never purchase without checking. :non:
But, you can try the free demo version. The tool is well known to fix the CRC error.
http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/archive-recovery.html