Here's my build (First time):

CPU | [1] Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard | [2] Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) ATX LGA1155
Memory | [3] G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive | [4] Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM
Hard Drive | [5] Crucial m4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card | [6] Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card
Power Supply | [7] CORSAIR Professional Series HX850

I haven't messed around in the BIOS except to make the RAM run at 1600 instead of auto settings (fixed a previous issue with Windows loading).

Simply put, the computer locks up under heavy loads but not on a consistent timeframe. No BSOD, just a complete lock-up with a frozen screen. Whatever sound is being made repeats over and over through the speakers as well. It may BSOD eventually, but I haven't let it get that far. The fans in the case all keep running when it locks up and the hard drive light remains on. There aren't any problems upon re-starting, and I can run it all day at low loads. I have to turn it off with the power button on the case.

I've tried stress testing it with Prime95, and it doesn't get very far before locking up. When playing games (SWTOR) and running iTunes simultaneously, I get about 30 minutes or so out of it before it goes down, but it could be longer and it could be shorter - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Playing games without iTunes buys me a bit more time.

I've run memory diagnostics on it and the chips check out as far as I know. HWinFO64 says that the computer runs really hot (around 90C) when running Prime95. I know that that's incredibly hot, but it won't run for more than a half hour before the freeze. SWTOR runs a bit north of 60C - still really hot.

I use the stock cooler right now and have an additional case fan set up in my Cooler Master HAF 912 case. I just ordered a Hyper 212+ cooling unit as well, but it's not installed yet.

I originally thought it was an issue with my previous PSU (DiabloTEK ATX 675W), but the new PSU I've installed hasn't fixed it. My thoughts are that it's one of 3 things:

1. Computer is simply too hot and processor shuts down
2. Issues with the motherboard (really hope not, but I don't know how to check for this with the constant locking up)
3. Software issues with Windows 7 (64-bit, legit install) - lockup still occurs with Prime95 in Safe Mode. The only errors I've been able to find in the Application Log is here. I haven't done the suggested fix because I have SP1 installed already and I'm not sure that would help.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution

The key to your problem seems to be right here.

First, make sure your case is set up properly and you have good airflow through the case. What kind of case?

Second, make sure your HSF is installed correctly.

Third, reset your BIOS to factory default. This will also reset your RAM speed to DDR3-1333 (standard Intel speeds).

If you are at stock system speeds, you should be able to run Prime95 indefinitely.

Now, run Prime95 small fft's about 30 minutes while monitoring your core temps. Your core temps should stay under 70 C even with the stock cooler. This will execise your CPU and drive your CPU load temps to max.

Now, run the Prime95...

The key to your problem seems to be right here.

First, make sure your case is set up properly and you have good airflow through the case. What kind of case?

Second, make sure your HSF is installed correctly.

Third, reset your BIOS to factory default. This will also reset your RAM speed to DDR3-1333 (standard Intel speeds).

If you are at stock system speeds, you should be able to run Prime95 indefinitely.

Now, run Prime95 small fft's about 30 minutes while monitoring your core temps. Your core temps should stay under 70 C even with the stock cooler. This will execise your CPU and drive your CPU load temps to max.

Now, run the Prime95 large fft's test for about an hour. This does not work the CPU as hard, but it really stresses the memory.

It is very important to get your system running reliably at stock speeds before you do anything else.

This is probably a separate problem caused by by a small glitch in the PSU or motherboard. Simple way to isolate is to try the PSU in another system.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.