anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
i have comcast internet and the download is supposed to be 12 mbit/s

these two tests from testmy.net says 1.9 mbit/s and 2.1 mbit/s
i used a 50MB file to eliminate 'powerboost'

is anybody getting test results that match what they are supposed to be receiving?

i am getting 12 mbit/s from speedtest.net
but the file is smaller?

**edit**

here are the links to my results:
http://testmy.net/db/F8Y2LGJT6
http://testmy.net/db/2C3UML6S5

While your DL numbers are lame, it's not usual to see values well below those quoted by your cable ISP. Cable is a shared, local resource, so it's always possible network congestion in your immediate area (aka, local loop) is affecting you. Those numbers quoted by your cable provider are only under ideal conditions. That's why ppl who need consistency more than raw speed sometimes turn to DSL (which is not shared locally).

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
funny that you say that because when i play multiplayer games.. my ping remains at 32ms

no jumping from 32 to 33 or 36

i suppose there could be jitter between those increments.

i just think that my webpages arent loading fast enough as my steam downloads hold a 1.5 megabyte per second download.

i'm not trying to contend the knowledge of how the broadband service provider manages their bandwidth.
i dont have a clue.
but i did read up on how tcp works and i suppose i havent done enough downloading to know if these speeds are testmy.net results or all across the board.

i was recently playing around with my tcp window and took some speed tests to see if the lackluster waiting periods would stop.

and that would then bring me to the website bandwidth and server load.
its obnoxious there and the price is a hinderance.
i'm not really getting my full money's worth and thought i would at least try to optimize for an improvement.

there is simply too much nonsensical delay that matches the same results of nearly 10 years ago.