$570 Gaming Build: Thoughts?

Philosomanic

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Okay, I've been doing some research, and I've come up with this build. I include the peripherals I'm buying, because I have nothing right now. Please tell me what you think of this as a budget gaming build. My goal is to have a computer able to play SWTOR on medium settings at 30+ FPS (I know, really ambitious, right?).

My thanks to Bang for Buck Gaming. A large part of this build came from their February $400 Gaming Build. However, I'm willing to spend a little more money to get things new, and I took advantage of a few deals I found on Newegg. Still, they did most of the work for me.

CPU: ($70**) Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core
GPU: ($60*) HIS Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1
Motherboard: ($55) ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX
RAM: ($19*) CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Hard Drive: ($85) Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Case: ($40) Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
DVD Drive: ($10**) LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA
Keyboard: ($7) Rosewill RK-100 Black
Speakers: ($9) Cyber Acoustics CA-2002 2.0 2 Piece

*After Rebates.
**Bundled for $80.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If you plan to upgrade your motherboard at all in the life time of windows 7 i suggest getting the full version of windows. Other wise when you replace your motherboard your oem version of windows can not be installed on your new system with the new motherboard as per microsofts terms of service.

Philosomanic

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

The case includes a 350W 20+4 pin PSU. Made it a really nice value.

According to the copy of the Windows 7 License Agreement I found, you actually can transfer your copy of Windows 7. Is that document incorrect, or inaplicable for some reason? If so, how much will a transferable version cost me?

(This is the one I'm currently planning on buying.)

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details_ss.asp?EdpNo=5213932&CatId=4622

Click detail features and scroll down to Software Terms of Use it states:

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

Now on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Click details and read the Disclaimer:

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

Microsoft tells them to put that there but you have to hunt for it to actually find it most of the time. It is the small print intended to snag an extra 100.00 bucks from you.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

They were lucky if they had told microsoft which version of windows they were calling about and that they performed a motherboard upgrade then i do not think things would have gone as smoothly. Its clear in their terms of service. I can not 100% say for sure they will reactivate your windows can you? I'd rather be safe then sorry. Some may get lucky but generally most won't. Do you really want to take a 100.00 gamble? I know i don't.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

You do realize that installing oem on your system for home is considered illegal by microsofts terms of service? I suggest reading up on it. Just because your cousins best friend doug had no problems and your sisters boyfriends dad had no problems does that mean you won't? Try calling the microsoft support then explain how you installed an oem version on your home pc and are now switching it to your new pc because you upgraded your old motherboard and processor and ask if that is acceptable then mention how you read on their oem site that you are not allowed to do that if you built the pc yourself. Saying anything less would be lying to them and your install of oem even if they oked it would be considered illegal as well as pirated.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

So...

How many people do you know of?

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I was going to install an OEM version of Windows 7 (was tempted to pirate, but wanted to "do the right thing"), and then heard how it was apparently "illegal" by Windows 7 EULA. I was conflicted, and finally called Microsoft and directly asked them. I continually said, "I built a PC myself, and want to install Windows 7. Is it okay if I purchase the OEM disc?"

The person replied with a yes. So I repeated the question multiple times, clearly stating and emphasizing that it will be my personal computer not resold. Every time I received a yes.

So I recently purchased Windows 7 OEM on Newegg.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I thought about upgrading the motherboard down the road in my build, but I saw no point.
I would be upgrading my monitor and installing a video card long before I would think of a new Mobo.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

I can search and find alot of roms as well as mp3's and movies and download them. Does that make them any less illegal that i can do it? Just because you can do it does not make it legal. The terms of service from microsoft are clear on using the oem version of windows. Telling some one that they can put in a new motherboard and reinstall their oem is basically going against microsofts tos and also telling some one its ok to do something illegal. I suggest you read these forums tos Violations - It violates the Tom's Hardware Rules of Conduct if you engage in any of the following activity:
Post, promote or distribute any content that is illegal.
Promote or encourage activity which is illegal, such as hacking, cracking, scamming.
By microsofts tos it is even illegal to reccomend an oem version for a system build that is to be used by the person building it as it clearly states you can only install an oem in a pc meant for resell.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Do you really think you are smart by repeatedly posting the same question over and over? You would not believe me either way as you have your own view on this. So what is the point? The terms of service on oems are very clear that they are not meant to be put in a persons own pc. And if you do use it (illegally by microsofts tos) and try to upgrade your system you need to buy a new oem (although technically your first version was illegal and a second is just repeating the illegal action).

jdwii

Splendid

Dude take it down a notch its not like this person is the only person who does this and by the way Microsoft does not care if you use this for a system build just if you reuse it over and over again. And by that matter your not even suppose to do that on the 200$ version of windows. I've actually ask some one at Microsoft about this and they said you can use this if your a system builder. Just only on 1 board.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Did you see this yet? :eek:

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Yes if you are a System builder but those building a pc for themselves are called hobbyist and as such put in another category. The home full version you can reinstall it in as many new systems as you want as long as its only active on one pc at a time (meaning you must uninstall the old os on the old system first) that one has the most flexible license key. The oem is meant to be used in a new build to be sold and has no support they expect the builder to handle any and all support for the system. They tie the oem to the motherboard any change in the motherboard from the one that the os is installed on nullifies the license agreement and you are not meant to install it on the system with the new motherboard.

jdwii

Splendid

+1 That's what i did! If this Person is building a 570$ build and need 7 this is the very first thing he needs to do is get the Oem edition!

jdwii

Splendid

DO you work for Microsoft???????????? DO you I'm wondering, If you don't give them a call before giving wrong info Please!

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Yes and it makes my point in that it is licensed to the motherboard now if he upgraded the motherboard even if the motherboard was defective you can not install it on that new system. The only exception is if you replace it with the same exact make and model motherboard that was in the system before.

TRENDING THREADS