First ever gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingstar

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I am looking for a little advice and a final check on compatibility for my first ever build. I have swapped HD's and upgraded GPUs but never tried a new build so hopefully it goes well.
Here is a list of what I picked out so far if there is something better for around the same price I would appreciate the advice.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

I would like to overclock eventually

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have a 1TB WD 7200rpm HDD i will be taking out of my current PC to use as a storage drive in this build. The SSD will be for Windows and games

HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

1 for now possibly adding a second in the future if needed I plan on running a 60 in LCD TV to stream netflix on will this card handle that?

LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner X2

Lastly is the case and this has been the hardest to decide on. I want max airflow if I do decide to overclock, lots of room is a plus, enough clearance for larger GPU's and the heat sink is a must. This is what I have decided on so far but could easily change my mind if something better come up.
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 BLUE RC-922M-KWN2-GP Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side window

Any advice would be much appreciated. Is there any problems with this build and do I need anything else besides OS to be up and running (2.5" SSD holder, cables, ect..)?

Solution
Everything you have looks good, but just for the sake of argument a couple challengers near the price points you have given:

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $179 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087
Corsair built their PSU reputation by selling Seasonic manufactured PSUs. I have the x650 and its awesome.

Personally, I think that Silverstone makes some of the best cases. What do you think of this beast? Vertical airflow instead of horizontal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163180 Antec makes some really good cases too.

Just so you know, 128gb doesnt end up holding much more than windows...

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
its all compatable, and a 60 inch tv is still just 1080p just like a super cheap 20 inch monitor. quite sad really. but hell as long as people buy them they dont feel a need to make something better. anyways the tv will run the same as the small monitor on that video card.

you might want to consider different case. i have one thats quite similar and there are two things i would like to change.
1. the open for airflow front, with all the grills that look so nice, let a lot of noise out. top fan does the same thing.
2. blue lights suck ass, i hate them. they are evil. blinding in a dark room. annoying when you try to sleep. and no separate off switch. just evil.
there are cases that still stay cool with out being blinding or loud. the antec p180, p182, p280 are a few that come to mind.
something worth considering.

ebola28

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
everything is compatible and well chosen. I love the HAF series, but only use fractal design cases for builds for their silence.

Also, instead of the 212+, go with the newer designed 212 evo

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Everything you have looks good, but just for the sake of argument a couple challengers near the price points you have given:

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $179 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087
Corsair built their PSU reputation by selling Seasonic manufactured PSUs. I have the x650 and its awesome.

Personally, I think that Silverstone makes some of the best cases. What do you think of this beast? Vertical airflow instead of horizontal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163180 Antec makes some really good cases too.

Just so you know, 128gb doesnt end up holding much more than windows, ati drivers+etc, and a couple games. My M4 filled up fast. I wish they made a 160gb one, because jumping all the way to 256gb is just too expensive.

1 for now possibly adding a second in the future if needed I plan on running a 60 in LCD TV to stream netflix on will this card handle that?
HAHA. You are joking right? This PC and GPU is like 10x more powerful than needed for that. My 6950 2gb can max just about every game at 1080p.

Solution

pingstar

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Updated the cooler master to the EVO

Will 750w be enough to push 2 6950s and the 2500k if I overclock? If so the Seasonic looks like a better PSU for the price.

Still looking for the right case, checking out the different options now thanks for the sugestions

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Yes it can handle it. Most PSU calculators overshoot by a large margin, and honestly the 6950 is a pretty economical card. AMD has gotten better at making them lower draw.

Edit: I haven't run crossfire on my X650 yet, but I intend to when I need the next card - so you are 100w over my personal safety margin.

750w is plenty of juice to push two of those cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.