Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-2500k Overclocking Question

Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2012 1:53:08 AM

Hey everyone,

I am planning to overclock my i5-2500k to 4GHz in my upcoming build. I'll be using the cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler which has received a great amount of hype. I have seen a few videos where people bring this processor up to 4.5GHz easily, but I don't know if I can do the same. My basic concerns are obviously cooling and the processor fulfilling a long life (I need it to last). I am not very familiar with over clocking, this will be my first true processor OC experience. I wondered if anyone knew what I ought to do with voltages, or if they can help me understand exactly how they work in sync with bringing the processors speed up. Also, if I am only bringing the processor up to 4GHz, do I really need to touch the voltages or can I leave it on an automatic setting? The mobo is the newer asrock z77 extreme4 (uefi bios included). If you have a similar build and want to leave me with some information, I would really appreciate it. It would also be great if anyone has already mimicked what I have said I plan to do. Thanks a bunch,

-kfactor
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 2:13:01 AM

I own an ASROCK board and 2500k, so i think i can help. You shouldn't really have to touch the voltages.

Make sure the RAM is running at the speeds it is supposed to be set to, voltages, speeds, timings, all that good stuff.

Turn off spread spectrum and then change the SpeedStep from auto to manual, and then change the minimum power duration to 100w and the maximum to 150w. Then exit the BIOS and enter it and turn off SpeedStep. You should then be able to change the multiplier to 40 and be set. Make sure voltage don't get too high, but with only 4Ghz, you should be around 1.25v. I would shoot for 1.25v but go as far as 1.3v. Offset voltage helps too because auto tends to overvolt.

Here is a more in-depth guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg...

Hope this helps! :) 
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 3:34:52 AM

Just make it even simpler and just put up the mulitplier. No need to change spread spectrum or speedstep. 4ghz is a low goal, especially since the non k can get to 3.8, which kind of makes getting the k version a waste if you don't go higher.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 21, 2012 4:23:41 PM

4Ghz is not that much, without overvolting it should be fine. Oh and with that cooler it should be a breeze.

For overclocking an i5-2500k I would do these:

1. CPU Ratio (CPU multiplier) set it to manual. Since you want 4.0 GHz as the clock speed and the base clock is 100 MHz, We can put it 40x (The multiplier).
2. Base Clock Put it default to 100 MHz, for an i5 Just change the Multiplier and that's all (Although in other processor such as Phenom II I would change the base clock)
3. Voltage settings should be left at default, unless you see some system instability, increase the Voltage by a bit
4. Power Saving Mode should be disabled

Boot to windows run Prime95 or something and then check out the temperatures close the Prime95 when you see hot temperatures. If you see temperatures like 80C, something must be wrong on the CPU overclock.

GOOD LUCK :) .
May 22, 2012 6:24:50 PM

refillable said:
4Ghz is not that much, without overvolting it should be fine. Oh and with that cooler it should be a breeze.

For overclocking an i5-2500k I would do these:

1. CPU Ratio (CPU multiplier) set it to manual. Since you want 4.0 GHz as the clock speed and the base clock is 100 MHz, We can put it 40x (The multiplier).
2. Base Clock Put it default to 100 MHz, for an i5 Just change the Multiplier and that's all (Although in other processor such as Phenom II I would change the base clock)
3. Voltage settings should be left at default, unless you see some system instability, increase the Voltage by a bit
4. Power Saving Mode should be disabled

Boot to windows run Prime95 or something and then check out the temperatures close the Prime95 when you see hot temperatures. If you see temperatures like 80C, something must be wrong on the CPU overclock.

GOOD LUCK :) .

I'll be giving this a shot. You get best answer for the details, and the pun in the beginning. Thanks.
m
l
May 22, 2012 6:24:59 PM

Best answer selected by kfactor1119.
m
l
!