Burnt CPU paste

G

Hi guys,

I have an i7 860 @2.93ghz and I attempted to overclock. When that failed, I reset the BIOS.

Everything was working sweet until my idiot, paranoid self decided to clean out all the dust in my computer.

Whilst doing that, I decided to remove the cpu cooler and get ALL the dust out of the stock heat sink.

I then reseated my CPU WITHOUT PUTTING NEW THERMAL PASTE (what an idiot, right?)

Anyway, realising my error, after my comp crashed a couple of times I bought some thermal paste from a local computer shop. The paste was called Cooler Master thermal paste compound. It was the only one they had.

Anyway, I applied a smallish half pea size and made a thin layer of paste. I then reseated the cpu heat sink and fan and booted up.

Upon booting up my comp started to smell like ozone (melting or burning smell) but the cpu only reached 44 degrees Celsius.

I promptly turned the computer off.

Is it possible I incorrectly reinstalled the heat sink/buggered up with the paste?

You did clean off the old paste I assume?
Coolermasters pastes aren't bad, theres better but its not an issue,
you may have gotten some overspill and its cooked, visually inspect to ensure no paste is anywhere it shouldn't be, reclean the Hs and Cpu, apply fresh paste and reseat the Hs,
you should be fine
Moto

was this the tube??
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=149
if it was it normal for some paste to smell intell they cure..some take a few days to a few hours under load.
for the first few hours after a new build or a cpu fan replacment use fanspeed or hardware monitor to watch your cpu temps.
as long as they stay flat...and not hot...over 50c or greater. just running web stuff then you know you put the sink on right.

G

Hi Moto,

Yes I did remove the old paste from both the cpu and the heat sink.

I will recheck and have and another go.