Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will 2x GTX 560s in sli be bottlenecked by my i5 ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2011 11:23:38 AM

Hi there

I currently have a rig with a 750 i5 2.67 GHz CPU and 1 GTX 560 . I can play most of my games on full settings but sometimes my frame rate will drop for brief periods which can get a bit annoying, so I was considering buying a second GTX 560 to SLi with my current one .I have enough power to supply a second GPU , but I'm wondering if they will then be bottlenecked by my cpu .

If anyone can offer me some advice or answers it would be greatly apreciated . I've never tried overclocking my cpu because I don't really know how much is safe to push, the same with my GPU .

Best solution

December 6, 2011 11:35:01 AM

I would assume so - Given the gtx560 is a decent video chipset. Lots of new games now require at least the highest end CPU with a high end "single" video card, or a CPU like yours with dual mod ranged cards to play at high resolutions. Examples, BF3, Shogun Total War 2, etc.

I'm sure that number of games will grow into 2012.

That being said, I have a Q9550(at stock speed) which crushes anything fine so far with a single AMD 6870 (budget card but great!)

I haven't attempted those titles but based on the reviews i assume a second one is needed to play at 1080p, or 1900*1080 if that's a need for you, Then the second card should be fine. IMO when you hit 60 fps+ it really doesn't matter anymore.

So yes, Adding a second card wouldn't hurt. There are plenty of reviews on the gtx series on Toms.

Example:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-...

Use that as reference - If your CPU is less than the test one, take off a few FPS as a ballpark.

This review shows a single card config, adding that second one should be fine for awhile.

a c 88 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2011 12:11:13 PM

Drop in another 560 and overclock your cpu and it will perform really well :) 
Related resources
December 6, 2011 12:16:57 PM

Awsome ^^ thanks for the fast reply . Do you think it would be worthwhile to overclock my Cpu by a bit aswell ? and maybe my Gpu instead of getting another one ? I'm just worried that spending the cash isn't really worth the gain in performance . I've tried playing bf3 , which works great If I can get the game to stop crashing , I'd like to play Skyrim on everyhting maxed out without those annoying fps dips when I turn around or enter a new area.
December 6, 2011 12:18:52 PM

@monsta

How much do you reckon I can overclock it without cooling ? or I getting a cooling system needed ? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to these things :p 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2011 12:22:20 PM

no bottleneck.
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2011 12:24:14 PM

I think it would be worth overclocking your cpu...but unfortunately games like BF3 arent too cpu dependant....Going for SLI would be the better option for that game.
Im not sure how much you can overclock your cpu , I'm not the best at overclocking to be honest , I always get too ahead of myself and blow something up.lol
Another thing I have noticed with alot of pcs I have worked on , is in the power options in Windows 7 they havent selected High performance even for a desktop, check yours and make sure its on high performance to get the most out of your pc for gaming.
Aftermarket cooling is a good option for overclocking, depends if you wanna go air or liquid cooling. The Corsair liquid cooling options seem to be popular and easy to use.
Go for the other 560 in SLI , that would give you the performance jump you really need right now without a bottleneck.
December 6, 2011 1:03:28 PM

templar101101 said:
Awsome ^^ thanks for the fast reply . Do you think it would be worthwhile to overclock my Cpu by a bit aswell ? and maybe my Gpu instead of getting another one ? I'm just worried that spending the cash isn't really worth the gain in performance . I've tried playing bf3 , which works great If I can get the game to stop crashing , I'd like to play Skyrim on everyhting maxed out without those annoying fps dips when I turn around or enter a new area.

That is weird you mention you get FPS dips in Skyrim. I only notice this if i leave a cave and rush into the open area. But its far and few between. This game remains capped at 60fps almost always, and during these random low fps dips slightly lower.

I have 8 gb of ram, so maybe adding more ram never hurts?
If BF3 crashes alot, make sure you upgrade the motherboard drives, and video card drivers to see if there is better performance, Especially on these specific crashes and dips you mention.

I've never been a fan of over clocking systems - Yes it will improve it say if you bump it up to 3-3.2 ghz but marginally. Any higher is unnecessary simply for bragging rights. Strong base quad core is really all that matters at this point going into 2012.

Update the drivers for the motherboard and video card first, test. Then consider below:
Upgrading to a dual video card, and maxing the ram is the best option(6-8 gb), and upping to 3 ghz, even if its needed. Test before to see if its even required.

People say 4 gb is plenty, but 8 is just wicked. Next system will have 12 gb. And why not, its cheap and runs so smooth. Just like buying a TV, always get a few more inches, just because why would you stay the same.

I disagree with the one comment, BF3 is completely CPU dependent and is really one of the only games that maximizes all cores threads.

December 6, 2011 3:46:15 PM

Hmmm, I think I'll get some more RAM now that you mention it, I only have 4gb so it might help and yeah RAM is really cheap now maybe push it to 16GB, apparently my mb can take it :p  . I'll also update my mb drivers now then I'll check if the GPU purchase is needed . Thanks a lot for the advice guys I really appreciate it , its good to hear advice from people who know what they are talking about :) 
December 6, 2011 3:59:20 PM

It all depends on whether the game is GPU or CPU intensive (BF3 is GPU intensive).

You will start pushing the boundaries of your GPU(s) long before you hit the limits of your CPU.

Re RAM, your motherboard may take up to 16GB, but make sure you have the OS for it (I think Win 7 HP has a limit of 16GB of addressable RAM right?)
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2011 4:06:32 PM

Depends on the game and settings as to what the bottleneck will be, and also if that bottleneck will matter. With a 60hz monitor having fps over 60 doesn't mean much, but having minimums under 60 does. If you want to play games on max settings at 1080p then you'll want the second 560Ti to smooth things out. For some of the more CPU demanding games you may want to consider overclocking your CPU which is very formidable when overclocked.
December 6, 2011 6:58:26 PM

I might just add that Im using the GTX 560, not the GTX 560 Ti, dunno if it really makes a big difference
December 6, 2011 7:14:24 PM

n-dru said:
It all depends on whether the game is GPU or CPU intensive (BF3 is GPU intensive).

You will start pushing the boundaries of your GPU(s) long before you hit the limits of your CPU.

Re RAM, your motherboard may take up to 16GB, but make sure you have the OS for it (I think Win 7 HP has a limit of 16GB of addressable RAM right?)

Beats the hell out of me, but I am running Windows 7 Ultimate edition, so it might take 16GB
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2011 8:32:19 PM

Sure it isn't a $300 8 threaded beast but even for it's age it has some years left and isn't much of a bottleneck at all. I got this cpu as well and a simple overclock lets say 3.5ghz is more than enough for two gtx560ti.
December 7, 2011 4:04:57 AM

nforce4max said:
Sure it isn't a $300 8 threaded beast but even for it's age it has some years left and isn't much of a bottleneck at all. I got this cpu as well and a simple overclock lets say 3.5ghz is more than enough for two gtx560ti.

Cool so would I need cooling for this ? Liquid or Air ? :)  I have a ECS P55H-A Deluxe, which is apparently made for overclocking quite a bit
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2011 7:12:29 PM

Ah non ti versions. Yeah like I said a second card will smooth things out though your CPU might still be a limiting factor in some cases so I would recommend overclocking. A good air cooler is fine for overclocking and is the way you should go if you're new at it. Liquid cooling is a little more involved to say the least but hey if you're feeling adventurous ^_^. Just make sure to read an overclocking guide for LGA 1156 CPUs.
December 9, 2011 7:17:12 AM

Awsome :D  I think I have all the advice I need :)  Thanks a lot
January 7, 2012 8:11:27 AM

Okay so I'm about to purchase my second GTX 560, the one I have in my computer now is an ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU graphics card , but I can't get another one like this instead I can get the ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU II OC edition, I just want to know if it's possible to Sli these too cards ? apparently its just the clock speed that differs
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2012 4:44:28 PM

Yes you can SLI them. I believe the drivers will set the clock speeds to be the same but I'm not sure if it will choose the slower or faster speeds. Anyone on this thread SLI cards with different speeds?
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2012 4:59:05 PM

What is your resolution? At 720p it most certainly would be bottlenecked by the cpu, at 1600p it would not be bottlenecked by the CPU
January 14, 2012 11:54:54 AM

I might be wrong but as far as I know its 1080p , but im planning to overclock it anyway . Will my non OC GTX 560 be able to run fine at the clock speed of the OC version without burning itself out ?
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 5:12:09 PM

Yeah it should as long as you have decent case ventilation. The GTX 560 should have no problems reaching 560 ti speeds after all.
January 14, 2012 5:28:24 PM

Awesome thanks for the help guys :) 
January 21, 2012 8:36:03 AM

Best answer selected by templar101101.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:10:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!