Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer case cause?

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2012 5:37:15 AM

My friend asked me to place his hardware in a new case he bought but when i placed all the hardware in the case it would start up for 5 secs and the screen would turn on and then shut off, so i played with the parts over 5 hours now and no solution, so after trying everything i try my hardware in the new case and same problem, so what gives? I never knew a case could do that. But once i placed it back in my case it worked again same hardware only the case. I used the spacers or what ever u call those things that support the mobo on the bottom any suggestions?

More about : computer case

February 5, 2012 5:40:31 AM

Did you use the mobo st andoffs?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 5:42:14 AM

Sounds like 1 of 2 problems to me the first is that the power supply is not sufficient enough or bad. The second one is that you have the motherboard grounded incorrectly in the case some how. Have you bread boarded it using the psu to be used in the case to eliminate the case as as the culprit? (If you didn't know bread boarding is hooking it all up outside the case like on a bread board to test which connections are bad and that it works before putting it into the case)
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2012 5:42:27 AM

angaddev: Yes I did. made sure of that 3 times, even made sure there weren't extras.

zolton33: It can't be psu i tried the psu im using currently and still same resualt and I dont have a bread board so what else can i use?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 5:46:30 AM

crazy4n00bs said:
Yes I did. made sure of that 3 times, even made sure there weren't extras.

It can't be psu i tried the psu im using currently and still same resualt and I dont have a bread board so what else can i use?

Bread board is just the term you can use a kitchen table or coffee table or a hardware bench. :p 
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:58:08 AM

zolton33 said:
Bread board is just the term you can use a kitchen table or coffee table or a hardware bench. :p 

I just tried and same result, could it be the front panal pins? I used it to power it up.
m
l
February 5, 2012 6:00:34 AM

Ok I just tried another case pins and POOF it turned on fully, so i want to use this case, why wont it keep the computer on? any ideas? How could case pins cause this? I swear everytime i ask for help in a forums i find the answer....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 6:06:32 AM

So you hooked up everything outside the case and its working fine? If so check the power button and the reset button on the case to make sure they are not sticking. (you know in case the power button is sticking hence telling the pc to turn off)
m
l
February 5, 2012 6:12:07 AM

zolton33 said:
So you hooked up everything outside the case and its working fine? If so check the power button and the reset button on the case to make sure they are not sticking. (you know in case the power button is sticking hence telling the pc to turn off)

Well i hooked up everything outside and it didnt stay on longer then 5 secs like it was doing, i was using the case causing the problem, so now i used another case to power on the mobo and now it works, but i want to use this case, i will try to take the case apart, i will answer back quickly the tower is right infront of me.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 6:24:21 AM

If its doing it outside the case then the case is not the problem. Have you taken the power supply completely out of the case and tried to hook it up? A topic a bit more detailed on bread boarding

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Just a checklist so you can go through it step by step in case you over looked a step (which can happen so long as we remain human we are forced to make mistakes lol)
m
l
February 5, 2012 6:28:12 AM

zolton33 said:
If its doing it outside the case then the case is not the problem. Have you taken the power supply completely out of the case and tried to hook it up? A topic a bit more detailed on bread boarding

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Just a checklist so you can go through it step by step in case you over looked a step (which can happen so long as we remain human we are forced to make mistakes lol)

No when i use the case he wants it doesnt work, but when i use my case it works, i have all the components outside the case, im only using the case to power, so i just checked the button and its not sticking, so what now, I know its the front panal pins, i just dont know how to fix.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 6:35:00 AM

Whats the make and model of the case in question? and whats the make and model of the motherboard in question?
m
l
February 5, 2012 6:48:36 AM

asus p3pe and its a case from asus. I think ima try to strip the wires from my old case and place them in this case, what u think?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 6:56:47 AM

I'm not clear on what your problem is when you mention the front panel pins, are you talking about the case hook ups from the motherboard to the case? If so this may help some http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/assemble17.php If not being more detailed would help in being able to help you. gutting another case at this point would be like putting the cart in front of the horse.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 6:57:50 AM

Also the case being made by asus helps very little lol they do make alot of different models and designs.
m
l
February 5, 2012 7:04:15 AM

zolton33 said:
I'm not clear on what your problem is when you mention the front panel pins, are you talking about the case hook ups from the motherboard to the case? If so this may help some http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/assemble17.php If not being more detailed would help in being able to help you. gutting another case at this point would be like putting the cart in front of the horse.

Well the problem is the front panel, the case I want to use doesn't work because the front panel connectors seem to trigger the computer to turn off after i turn it on, but when i use another cases front panel connectors it stays on, and works fine. Sorry the case has no info on it.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 7:34:27 AM

No problem are you sure you are connecting the right wires to the right spot on the motherboard? I ask as usually you get a manual with the specs of what goes where and i think you are working without this as the asus case is from a manufactured pc hence their hook ups can differ.
February 5, 2012 8:05:27 AM

zolton33 said:
No problem are you sure you are connecting the right wires to the right spot on the motherboard? I ask as usually you get a manual with the specs of what goes where and i think you are working without this as the asus case is from a manufactured pc hence their hook ups can differ.

i have solved it by striping it and replacing the wire. Thanks for the help i think the wire was defected.
m
l
February 5, 2012 8:05:38 AM

Best answer selected by CrAzY4n00Bs.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 8:06:54 AM

No problem glad you got it fixed :) 
m
l
!