Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Concerned about my 3770k temperatures

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 21, 2012 9:04:44 AM

I guess "Technically" it's overclocked since the turbo limit ratios are 39-39-38-37.. so when all 4 cores/8 threads are under load its clock rate is 3700mhz. I ran some different things including prime95 and in RealTemp 3.70 the highest temps were

61 - 63 - 61 - 59

They could be lower if all my fans were on max speed, I believe. I don't think AI suite is accurately measuring the temperature and thus not ramping up the fan speeds correctly. case: nzxt phantom, cooler: cooler master n520

My only worry is that I didn't seat the heatsink correctly and/or applied the thermal paste wrong
a c 82 à CPUs
May 21, 2012 9:39:11 AM

seems a little warm for stock. on prime i'm at 70C at 4.3Ghz, but the 3770K should be a little warmer than my 3570k.

What is your idle temp?
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 10:08:15 AM

25-29-25-29 as an example
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 82 à CPUs
May 21, 2012 10:13:10 AM

thats good, i'm at 30-33. Proves your HSF is connected ok.

Its like heat struggles to get out of the cores, and so the HSF is only mildly important.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 2:53:13 AM

I am not new at this. But I am really wondering if I have a defective CPU. But it seems so unlikely. At max load using IBT or anything. I get 4 core ranges of 90-100+ C within 3 mins. i7-3770K at stock speeds using the stock Intel PIB bundled cooler. This just can't be right! Fresh system, BIOS up to date. Fresh install, etc. Unfortunately I didn't check the temps with the stock cooler first. I was just using it for a day installing Windows waiting for my CPU cooler. I then didn't like the aftermarket cooler I bought so I removed it and re-installed the stock cooler with Arctic Silver 5. And then decided to start stress testing at everything stock while looking for a new cooler for OCing.

And so I am here. With temps that just can't be right. I have tried reinstalling the Intel cooler 4 times now and I know I am using the right amount of compound, but the last 2 times I tried a tiny amount less and a tiny amount more, same results.

Oh, and my idle temps seem a little high at 42C in the bios at full 3900Mhz, and about 32C in windows when throttled down to 1600Mhz. Both seem too high at idle even for a stock cooler on a 77W TDP chip.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 5:28:08 PM

is your heatsink fitted properly, i.e. all 4 legs all the way through and very firm, it can take a lot more pressure than you'd like. Just wiggle each one, if there is movement it is wrong. Very common problem, from a very poor design.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 5:45:48 PM

13thmonkey said:
is your heatsink fitted properly, i.e. all 4 legs all the way through and very firm, it can take a lot more pressure than you'd like. Just wiggle each one, if there is movement it is wrong. Very common problem, from a very poor design.


Not saying you didn't read my posts. But I am not a newbie at this. I have been building PCs for over a decade. I start my benchmarking and stress testing with stock and then move up. The stock cooler is mounted correctly. And have been re-mounted with different thermal compound several times to try different things. I have confirmed with each removal and clean up that it was mounted correctly. Fan is also throttling correctly. etc. It's just so simple that I think the CPU is defective. But at the same time, I have never had a defective CPU that runs and even stress tests successfully. The only issue I am having is heat. And I don't want to mask the issue with a huge heatsink since my next step is overclocking. And I will always wonder if my chip is really good or not.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 5:51:43 PM

xenon2000 said:
Not saying you didn't read my posts. But I am not a newbie at this. I have been building PCs for over a decade. I start my benchmarking and stress testing with stock and then move up. The stock cooler is mounted correctly. And have been re-mounted with different thermal compound several times to try different things. I have confirmed with each removal and clean up that it was mounted correctly. Fan is also throttling correctly. etc. It's just so simple that I think the CPU is defective. But at the same time, I have never had a defective CPU that runs and even stress tests successfully. The only issue I am having is heat. And I don't want to mask the issue with a huge heatsink since my next step is overclocking. And I will always wonder if my chip is really good or not.


You are right I didn't read your posts, but the most common cause of extreme temps is the push pins being incorrectly fitted, i've lost count of how many people I have encountered on these forums with that problem, and a good portion of them claimed to be an expert builder and only a few weeks later came back and said, 'reseated HSF, it wasn't fitted properly, problem resolved'. So its always the first port of call. Period.

I've just checked, you've only got one post, your statement of 'I'm not new at this' doesn't really tell me a lot, and you've hijacked jdx3ds's thread, so my answer is perfectly valid, take it or leave it.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 6:05:56 PM

13thmonkey said:
You are right I didn't read your posts, but the most common cause of extreme temps is the push pins being incorrectly fitted, i've lost count of how many people I have encountered on these forums with that problem, and a good portion of them claimed to be an expert builder and only a few weeks later came back and said, 'reseated HSF, it wasn't fitted properly, problem resolved'. So its always the first port of call. Period.

I've just checked, you've only got one post, your statement of 'I'm not new at this' doesn't really tell me a lot, and you've hijacked jdx3ds's thread, so my answer is perfectly valid, take it or leave it.


Fair enough. You didn't quote anyone, so obviously your comments are for the OP and not me. I didn't start my own thread because I have the same question and I don't like to make duplicate threads. And the OP seems to have abandoned this thread. Though maybe you are right and I should open my own thread. I was hoping more 3770K owners with the stock cooler and stock speeds would chime in on this thread to share results. Though at this point I think it's time to start my own thread on my journey with the 3770K.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 6:23:08 PM

nope my comments are for you,
m
0
l
May 31, 2012 12:58:54 AM

And off I go. I will start my own thread if needed, but for now I have processed an exchange with Amazon and will have to wait for more stock. I will say again to the OP, I don't think your temps are anything to worry about all stock. And I wish mine were that low and I would have kept it. Now to wait for the new one.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 5:52:59 PM

xenon2000 said:
And off I go. I will start my own thread if needed, but for now I have processed an exchange with Amazon and will have to wait for more stock. I will say again to the OP, I don't think your temps are anything to worry about all stock. And I wish mine were that low and I would have kept it. Now to wait for the new one.


OK off you go then
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 7:33:47 AM

13thmonkey said:
OK off you go then


Really?
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 10:01:08 AM

I thought you were going, and leaving this thread, oh-so-experienced one
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 3:15:08 PM

13thmonkey said:
I thought you were going, and leaving this thread, oh-so-experienced one


I have taken my "journey" on my specific issue(s) to another thread. I am certainly still welcome to post comments in this thread. Are you just trying to be inconsiderate? And what is with the back-handed comments like "oh-so-experienced one"? Did I make you mad or something? I was only trying to help other that come across this thread, like I did, by posting what I have been going through.
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 3:35:07 PM

13thmonkey, I am curious, how did you get your "joined" date to be 1970?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2012 4:25:27 PM

The data of joining the THW were lost for members that have joined before certain date,

so they all got the same year now, the 1970 : )
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 4:27:43 PM

its actually about 2000, maybe 2001, can't recall, been so long.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 4:29:20 PM

I've seen one of your other threads about the LED mod, nice work, I still stand by every suggestion regarding your temps and if someone posts the same thing i'd suggest the same fixes as so many times its right.
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 4:35:46 PM

13thmonkey said:
I've seen one of your other threads about the LED mod, nice work, I still stand by every suggestion regarding your temps and if someone posts the same thing i'd suggest the same fixes as so many times its right.


And I agree with you and would and have made the same suggestions to many people over the years for such issues.

I have a new 3770K now and since I only have one Ivy Bridge compatible motherboard, CPU, and stock cooler, I will never know if there was ever anything really wrong with my CPU die. Though I doubt it. It was likely the stock cooler that was bundled with the last 3770K and the new one is fine. My Noctua NH-D14 is coming. I just wanted to make sure everything was fine and now I am confident that it is with the new bundle I got yesterday.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 5:10:59 PM

i'm using a xigmatek achillies on a 3570k, does a good job, HDT is probably the key to this, the noctua is hdt too isn't it?
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 5:28:06 PM

The Noctua NH-D14 is not HDT. Though it does use soldered joints.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 5:30:32 PM

soldered should be good enough, you just need as cold a contact surface as you can get.

and by that I mean that IVB responds to that better than older processors where the HSF is more normally closer to its limit.
m
0
l
June 3, 2012 7:44:23 AM

hi
i've noticed a lot of post regarding ivy bridge temps so thought would quickly post.
i'm still in process of finishing of my system and havent done any load testing at all but on a 22deg C day my cpu is showing in bios as having a temp of 23deg C after 20min idle and a motherboard temp of 25deg C.

aerocool expredator (modded)
P8Z77-V PRO
I5-3570K auto tuned to 4.223ghz in bios at 1.29volts
ek water block through ek dp4.0 water pump to dul bay xspc resevior to black ice 240mm rad with 2 x enermax 140 fans.

when putting the waterblock n the cpu i quickly srewed it down and then removed it, thermal paste was only covering about 60% of the chip so i applied a few more dabs in the obvious spots and reinstalled. seems to be running cool.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 3, 2012 10:16:27 AM

whats it like at load though, most of them idle cool.

I'd also say don't autotune, those volts might be high, my auto tune got me to 3.8 I think, I then left everything at auto and reached 4.3 but with a -0.01 offset, this left me at 1.10-1.11 volts, much better, much cooler, and my case much faster. Also on a V-Pro.
m
0
l
June 3, 2012 7:28:27 PM

I've assembled my new rig just friday. The idle temps were a bit strange to me ,so I've googled a bit. So here am I.

3770K Stock , no OC yet - S-spec: SR0PL , Stepping: 9, Rev: E1
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue LP CL9
GTX570 DCII (not running through iGPU)
Noctua U12P /w NF-F12 PWM
Corsair Graphite 600T - Front+Top 200mm Fan , Back Noctua NF-S12B FLX

I'vereapplied NOCTUA NT-H1 thermal paste twice.

IDLE temps - cpu load under 5-10% (putty,chrome(7tabs),desktop gadgets,ESS,AiSuite...)
core-temp ver. 1.0 RC3 (polling time 500ms) : the temps are jumping like hell - +-3C picked up average 37-37-39-38
AISuite : CPU 36-39.0C , Mobo 35.0C, Vcore 1.022V atm

OT : when the multiplier is changing the temps are jumping with it :D  lol

Prime95 - runtime:5min ;
core-temp : max - 71-73-73-71
AiSuite : 51.0C (???) , Mobo : 35.0C

LinX - 5runs
core-temp : max - 71-73-73-71

Touched the HSF bottom when priming and it wasn't very hot, just warm.
Had Q6600 before 3770K and it was OCed to 3Ghz with 1.325V, I think. In idle was around 30-34C and load max temps 60C. I know, just sayin'. Didn't tried stock hsf.

EDIT: same temps with RealTemp 3.70
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 12:16:27 AM

idle seems to be around

25 - 32 - 25 - 29


Someone said there shouldn't be wiggle, are you talking about the CPU cooler? I shouldn't be able to wiggle at all?
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 4, 2012 12:35:40 AM

jdx3ds said:
idle seems to be around

25 - 32 - 25 - 29


Someone said there shouldn't be wiggle, are you talking about the CPU cooler? I shouldn't be able to wiggle at all?


correct, should be very firm
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 5:04:50 AM

13thmonkey said:
whats it like at load though, most of them idle cool.

I'd also say don't autotune, those volts might be high, my auto tune got me to 3.8 I think, I then left everything at auto and reached 4.3 but with a -0.01 offset, this left me at 1.10-1.11 volts, much better, much cooler, and my case much faster. Also on a V-Pro.


havent installed windows yet due to a drive issue, am awaiting new drives to comein so i can windows on there.
Only went into bios to try and fix the drive error, saw the autotune tune and thought why not see what happens?
when i get it all finished i'll be resetting to std and oc'ing it. 4.4ghz @ 1.15v is what i've seen others getting and would be happy to achieve that. i dont want to really go over 1.25v-1.3v. will be using voltage off set.
system was showing 1.09v at idle with a +0.15 v off set but also displaying 1.29v @4.223ghz. i think this has something to do with PLL(?) compensation?
of course real world testing etc will paint a completely different figure. i just wanted to share a base line no OS temp figure (with watercooling) as a reference point.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 6:11:26 AM

13thmonkey said:
correct, should be very firm


It just feels like if I screw it down any further it would damage it..
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
June 7, 2012 7:07:27 AM

sorry but the merging of the threads has confused issues.

Pushpins (intel stock style but used by others too) need to be firm. screwed ones just need to be tight.

Look to the fourth post, unless things are substantially different to the first and third posts then i stick by my comments in the fourth.
m
0
l
June 10, 2012 3:59:26 AM

Someone merged the threads? Grr I hate when they do that
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 7:25:32 AM

So i was looking around for news on any new cpu's that might be comin out soon and i ended up here. :( 

Well while i am here i will help as much as a i can.

@jdx3ds who started this thread u should take 13thmonkey's advice and check the seating of your heatsink it should not be able to move at all, i know it might seem like your gonna break something when placing it tight but it was made to go on like that so dont worry about it.

Another thing you should look into is changing your thermal paste or get a different cpu cooler (Recommend Cooler Master X6 or V6), if you search google on your High-heating topic you will find that there are others having the same problem, but that was because of the thermal paste that is on the stock cooler apparently it helped most people to change that.

m
0
l
!