Concerned about my 3770k temperatures

jdx3ds

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I guess "Technically" it's overclocked since the turbo limit ratios are 39-39-38-37.. so when all 4 cores/8 threads are under load its clock rate is 3700mhz. I ran some different things including prime95 and in RealTemp 3.70 the highest temps were

61 - 63 - 61 - 59

They could be lower if all my fans were on max speed, I believe. I don't think AI suite is accurately measuring the temperature and thus not ramping up the fan speeds correctly. case: nzxt phantom, cooler: cooler master n520

My only worry is that I didn't seat the heatsink correctly and/or applied the thermal paste wrong

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
I am not new at this. But I am really wondering if I have a defective CPU. But it seems so unlikely. At max load using IBT or anything. I get 4 core ranges of 90-100+ C within 3 mins. i7-3770K at stock speeds using the stock Intel PIB bundled cooler. This just can't be right! Fresh system, BIOS up to date. Fresh install, etc. Unfortunately I didn't check the temps with the stock cooler first. I was just using it for a day installing Windows waiting for my CPU cooler. I then didn't like the aftermarket cooler I bought so I removed it and re-installed the stock cooler with Arctic Silver 5. And then decided to start stress testing at everything stock while looking for a new cooler for OCing.

And so I am here. With temps that just can't be right. I have tried reinstalling the Intel cooler 4 times now and I know I am using the right amount of compound, but the last 2 times I tried a tiny amount less and a tiny amount more, same results.

Oh, and my idle temps seem a little high at 42C in the bios at full 3900Mhz, and about 32C in windows when throttled down to 1600Mhz. Both seem too high at idle even for a stock cooler on a 77W TDP chip.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Not saying you didn't read my posts. But I am not a newbie at this. I have been building PCs for over a decade. I start my benchmarking and stress testing with stock and then move up. The stock cooler is mounted correctly. And have been re-mounted with different thermal compound several times to try different things. I have confirmed with each removal and clean up that it was mounted correctly. Fan is also throttling correctly. etc. It's just so simple that I think the CPU is defective. But at the same time, I have never had a defective CPU that runs and even stress tests successfully. The only issue I am having is heat. And I don't want to mask the issue with a huge heatsink since my next step is overclocking. And I will always wonder if my chip is really good or not.

You are right I didn't read your posts, but the most common cause of extreme temps is the push pins being incorrectly fitted, i've lost count of how many people I have encountered on these forums with that problem, and a good portion of them claimed to be an expert builder and only a few weeks later came back and said, 'reseated HSF, it wasn't fitted properly, problem resolved'. So its always the first port of call. Period.

I've just checked, you've only got one post, your statement of 'I'm not new at this' doesn't really tell me a lot, and you've hijacked jdx3ds's thread, so my answer is perfectly valid, take it or leave it.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Fair enough. You didn't quote anyone, so obviously your comments are for the OP and not me. I didn't start my own thread because I have the same question and I don't like to make duplicate threads. And the OP seems to have abandoned this thread. Though maybe you are right and I should open my own thread. I was hoping more 3770K owners with the stock cooler and stock speeds would chime in on this thread to share results. Though at this point I think it's time to start my own thread on my journey with the 3770K.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
And off I go. I will start my own thread if needed, but for now I have processed an exchange with Amazon and will have to wait for more stock. I will say again to the OP, I don't think your temps are anything to worry about all stock. And I wish mine were that low and I would have kept it. Now to wait for the new one.

OK off you go then

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

I have taken my "journey" on my specific issue(s) to another thread. I am certainly still welcome to post comments in this thread. Are you just trying to be inconsiderate? And what is with the back-handed comments like "oh-so-experienced one"? Did I make you mad or something? I was only trying to help other that come across this thread, like I did, by posting what I have been going through.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

And I agree with you and would and have made the same suggestions to many people over the years for such issues.

I have a new 3770K now and since I only have one Ivy Bridge compatible motherboard, CPU, and stock cooler, I will never know if there was ever anything really wrong with my CPU die. Though I doubt it. It was likely the stock cooler that was bundled with the last 3770K and the new one is fine. My Noctua NH-D14 is coming. I just wanted to make sure everything was fine and now I am confident that it is with the new bundle I got yesterday.

ausnorton

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
hi
i've noticed a lot of post regarding ivy bridge temps so thought would quickly post.
i'm still in process of finishing of my system and havent done any load testing at all but on a 22deg C day my cpu is showing in bios as having a temp of 23deg C after 20min idle and a motherboard temp of 25deg C.

aerocool expredator (modded)
P8Z77-V PRO
I5-3570K auto tuned to 4.223ghz in bios at 1.29volts
ek water block through ek dp4.0 water pump to dul bay xspc resevior to black ice 240mm rad with 2 x enermax 140 fans.

when putting the waterblock n the cpu i quickly srewed it down and then removed it, thermal paste was only covering about 60% of the chip so i applied a few more dabs in the obvious spots and reinstalled. seems to be running cool.

whats it like at load though, most of them idle cool.

I'd also say don't autotune, those volts might be high, my auto tune got me to 3.8 I think, I then left everything at auto and reached 4.3 but with a -0.01 offset, this left me at 1.10-1.11 volts, much better, much cooler, and my case much faster. Also on a V-Pro.