I have just built a new system. Specs below;

Gigabyte z68ap-D3
i5 2500k (stock)
Cooler Master Hyper 212
Cooler Master gx650w
WD 1TB harddrive
Samsung DVD/RW drive
XFX 6870

All parts are brand new. I set it up first with internal graphics from the i5 about 4 days ago, and added the XFX 6870 yesterday.

When the 6870 is installed in either pcie slot (x4 or x16) the fan spins full on and no output is displayed on the monitor either through DVI or HDMI. I have changed settings in the BIOS so if a PCIe card is present, it should not enable internal graphics, and also changed the default PCI slot to the PCIx16. Still no output.

I have seen other threads with similar situations saying this can sometimes be caused by an underpowered power supply, but mine has 650W so definitely should be enough.

Any ideas?
February 5, 2012 11:38:05 AM

Just to update, I just tried with a sapphire z1950 and it worked perfectly. So it cant be the motherboard, suggesting it is either the PSU or the card. Anything else I can try?
February 5, 2012 11:54:59 AM

Try it out in another PC if you can and if it doesn't work sent it back.
Related resources
February 5, 2012 1:37:45 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a go a bit later on my friend's computer hopefully.

To update the original post. It actually does post beep, and I could hear it going into windows through the speakers. To test if the card was even being recognised by windows I just plugged in the HDMI to the motherboard (with DVI still plugged into the graphics card and it displayed windows, so it looks like it is just bypassing the graphics card altogether... It doesn't show up in device manager either.
February 5, 2012 1:44:06 PM

It's probably the GPU, try it in a different PC.
February 15, 2012 3:18:56 PM

To follow up it was the GPU in the end. Returned and got a new one and it seems to be working fine. Well, apart from one thing - I have noticed every now and again some slight interfernce (green lines) when in games (Dirt 3 in the menu for example), is this likely a hardware issue or software issue?
!