Is a 750w psu enough for this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbetor20

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Quick idiotic question, I'm pretty embarrassed to be asking this in the first place.

This is the build, in case you didn't see the title I'm just wondering if a 750w power supply is enough.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H

Video card: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB

PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 750w (in case you were wondering)

CPU: Intel i5 3570k

Hard drive: WD Caviar black 1tb 64mb cache/7200 rpm

SSD: Samsung 830 series 128gb SATA 3

RAM: corsair vengeance low profile 8 gb (2 x 4gb) 1.5v

Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST OEM

CPU cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo (don't know if this really matters)

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (included for the heck of it :whistle:)

I think that is about it, let me know if I missed anything. Also let me know is 750w is too much, wouldn't mind saving a few extra bucks. :D

Solution
Often people look only at which psi has the "highest watt number" without knowing that a great part of unbranded PSUs does not even come close to the declared number.
Corsair is a good brand, for PSUs too. Real 750w should be more than enough for your setup. Of course... the more the merrier! Keep in mind that the case and the PSU can be used for several years, they can outlast your whole setup at least a couple of times.

So... spending more for a REAL 1000w capable PSU makes sense since maybe in the future 750w won't be enough and you would be forced to buy another PSU (so you would end up spending more money). Plus you will have a quieter unit meanwhile ^_^

Ask your wallet and let me know :)
Bye.
AD

jediarron

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Let me tell you something. I was putting my computer together yesterday, it worked for about 30s (test run), then I plugged it into a monitor, it didn't turn on again. I took it to PC World (Large UK PC shops) and they said my PSU was blown. It was a 650W, and I had a 670 and a 3770k. You have a similar build to me, I am going to buy 800-1000 soon. I think you should do the same xD

Corsair TX750 will run that no problem as its a quality psu

you could probably add a second gtx670 and it would still run it

so the suggestion you need 800w to 1000w is about what would be expected from some one who goes to pc world--most of

their staff are clueless as well--think their technica/repair department had to re-name itself recently as its name was mud

arbetor20

Honorable
May 10, 2012
That isn't good... My budget is already tight enough as it is. :cry:

arbetor20

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Ok thanks for the reply, saved me from revising my components.

as a guide i have the corsair tx750 myself

am running slightly older components than you so they are a bit less power effecient

and are heavily overclocked

2600k at 5ghz

gtx570 at 875mhz and 4600mhz memory

corsair h80 cooler

1 dvd-rw drive

3 x ssd

1 x mechanical drive

fan controllers and other add ons

6 fans

no problems

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Often people look only at which psi has the "highest watt number" without knowing that a great part of unbranded PSUs does not even come close to the declared number.
Corsair is a good brand, for PSUs too. Real 750w should be more than enough for your setup. Of course... the more the merrier! Keep in mind that the case and the PSU can be used for several years, they can outlast your whole setup at least a couple of times.

So... spending more for a REAL 1000w capable PSU makes sense since maybe in the future 750w won't be enough and you would be forced to buy another PSU (so you would end up spending more money). Plus you will have a quieter unit meanwhile ^_^

Ask your wallet and let me know :)
Bye.
AD

Solution

650 watts is enough power for you to safely add a second GTX670 to your machine
Your psu failed, it happens, no point in telling yourself or others that they need more power because of it

Status
Not open for further replies.