D3Fan4life

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I'm using my computer to run Diablo 3, and my computer is running slow and freezing(my hdd is dying it wont even let me install firefox after formatting and gives me errors on internet explorer sometimes) so I'm hoping that is the reason...

I'm wanting to buy a new motherboard/cpu/ram and curious if dual/triple/quad core would be better? I know I can spend more for a quad, but I could buy a better dual or a triple core for same price?

Should I spend extra for the quad if it is better? I usually run winamp/d3/firefox(and my current computer a dual core runs those fine without any lag) just all of a sudden I think my hdd is dying so..and if it isn't the problem I'm going to upgrade and would like some opinons so if I do I can be ready to buy it.

Yes I have windows vista 64 bit OS to support more than 2 gbs of ram.

Looking to spend around $200 on those 3 parts(also needs a fan for cpu)..thanks

dbfm

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
If it's the hdd that's failing and everything else is already fast enough for your needs, just by a new drive. If you want to make it an upgrade, by an ssd.

D3Fan4life

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I have a AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.61 ghz

4 gb ram

I want to spend $200 or below now that I think about it. I need to buy a PSU also

I dont think it's my OS lol, I have had this computer for 3 years and no problems...I format with my windows vista ultimate x64 cd and Its been doing it for a week, now it wont even let me install software and shuts down internet explorer and stuff.. It ran perfectly before that(i also have a gfx card on it) unless it's my PSU going bad? Its 3 years old too

My comp is running SUPER slow, and before I formatted my Diablo3 would freeze for 15 seconds every 10 mins, now it's just running extremely slow after formatted. I downloaded kaspersky free trial virus scan and have no virus(i shouldn't anyway after formatting)

D3Fan4life

Honorable
May 21, 2012

hey appreciate the help, especially from an expert also, you think those 3 are the best for the price? i was wanting to do a $200 range, but hell for 232 more dollars is it REALLY worth it? thats best cpu for the money at the moment? and could i get a cheaper mother board like 8 gb ram is fine for me, not wanting to get 450+ watt psu, hoping to get a nice gfx card that needs 450 or lower, and hoping a quad dont run my power up! thanks

D3Fan4life

Honorable
May 21, 2012

ahh, so that CPU is the best one for me then? thanks a lot

Does my problem sound like an HDD drive to you? curious...

what kind of power supply do you think I will need? I'm gonna get a 450 to support a g ood gfx card, hoping it will do a quad core

I might cut in to 4 GB of ram for it..and I'll need a good cpu fan for that to. Also when I touch the top of my computer it shocks the *** out of me, is it suppose to do that? I also took a peice of ram out earlier to see if that was a problem, and now I put it back in and it pops in and my comp starts up at a black screen which is why I'm about to just throw this comp out!! lol thanks a lot for the help..Really appreciate it !

tobensg

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I think you've answered your own question. A failing HDD can cause the symptoms you describe, (amoung other things). Check if your HDD is making any clicking noises, or if its active alot of the time. I would guess if you have formatted your HDD and re-installed Windows then its not the OS. Buy a new HDD first (maybe a SSD as they are getting cheaper now), put a fresh install of Windows on it and see how things are. If you do get those new components get a new HDD too.

D3Fan4life

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Idk if it's always done it, but it's been doing it for a while. I'm curious if I need to buy a new case also. Idk why the ram I'm putting in the computer that was always in it all of a sudden not work when I put it back in. It clicked in and then a black screen the entire time when I start up the computer.

so frustrating my computer worked until I got diablo 3 : (

If the PC case shocks you, does it do it repeatedly? You touch the case, pull hand back, touch it again, does it shock you? I ask because typically a PC case will shock you due to it being grounded via the house wiring which is a good thing. So if you have any static electricity built up it will ground out but it should not repeat that again if you pull your hand off and back on the case(without walking round or doing any other action to build up more static electricity).

Since you have such a low budget if you think you need a new case then consider a case+PSU combo like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065

D3Fan4life

Honorable
May 21, 2012

only shocked me once, sometimes it seems to shock me more than once, but i guess i was wrong..

I'm gonna go buy a HDD today at best buy, then if that isn't the problem then i'll order those...if it isn't the problem i'm going to prob still order those anyway just not as quick...

I really appreciate the help guys! I got an idea on what to get now, and if any of you guys play d3! let me know! i'll repay you in helping you some how! thanks

brock234

Honorable
May 23, 2012
bump this. i forgot the pw to the old account, im d3 fan4life..

i bought a new hard drive, and it seems im getting the same error but it's doing better with HDD, except now it's starting to not let do a lil bit more...

Will a bad motherboard make your computer lock up and freeze?? or bad ram? im gonna buy a new motherboard and stuff tomrrow that the guy above suggested..just wondering if its that or i got a bad hdd from best buy?