Sign in with
Your question

Need opinions on this build for 1,000$

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2012 12:16:42 PM

I am making a PC build from these parts, and I was wondering if these were good enough for good fps on any game, I'm making a gaming computer. I would also like opinions and suggestions on different things, it will help me out a lot since this is my first time building. Here's the parts :) 

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive:

Hard Drive:

Video Card:

Power Supply:

RAM:

MotherBoard:

CPU:

More about : opinions build 000

February 5, 2012 12:32:47 PM

Looks pretty good as long as you don't plan on overclocking (if you do want to overclock, go with the 2500k over the 2500).

The 6950 2GB is a good card - you should get pretty good FPS in most games at most resolutions. What games/res are you looking at?
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2012 12:33:23 PM

dish_moose said:
Get an i5-2500K and a 212 evo cooler.
-Bruce

No reason to get the K and an aftermarket cooler if he's not OCing.
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:37:12 PM

^ correct but... To go this far and not spend a small amount more for substantial performance gains would be ....
-Bruce
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:38:02 PM

inanition02 said:
Looks pretty good as long as you don't plan on overclocking (if you do want to overclock, go with the 2500k over the 2500).

The 6950 2GB is a good card - you should get pretty good FPS in most games at most resolutions. What games/res are you looking at?

I'm going to be playing games like SKyrim, Battlefield 3, not very graphics inducing games other than those, but I alwase like a good video card :) 
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:38:12 PM

I also don't plan on overclocking, since I have no idea how to do it :p 
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:41:32 PM

We will help you easily get to 4.3Ghz... Wanna learn?
-Bruce
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:43:37 PM

Sure, I would love to, just so you know this is my first build.
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:59:02 PM

Peter9930 said:
Sure, I would love to, just so you know this is my first build.

If you do want to try overclocking, then you need the 2500K processor and an aftermarket heatsink (like the 212 Evo linked above). Do note - not all SB procs can reach that 4.3ghz "easily" though most can. Also note, if you don't carefully monitor your temps (especially if you are changing voltage) you can risk damage to the proc/shortening it's life.

As far as the games - what resolution/details do you want? BF3 is a beastly game - the 6950 will play it pretty well, but not at ultra settings on super high resolution. Even a top of the line 7970 struggles at that. 1920x1080 at high/medium would be fine though.
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:03:54 PM

inanition02 said:
If you do want to try overclocking, then you need the 2500K processor and an aftermarket heatsink (like the 212 Evo linked above). Do note - not all SB procs can reach that 4.3ghz "easily" though most can. Also note, if you don't carefully monitor your temps (especially if you are changing voltage) you can risk damage to the proc/shortening it's life.

As far as the games - what resolution/details do you want? BF3 is a beastly game - the 6950 will play it pretty well, but not at ultra settings on super high resolution. Even a top of the line 7970 struggles at that. 1920x1080 at high/medium would be fine though.

If there is a chance of damaging my componets, i'll just keep it the same as it says since the 3.7 ghz turbo boost would work well anyway, also I do plan to record gameplay since I've been wanting to do that for a while and, I don't need my games to look that amazing since im used to low graphics anyway.
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:22:28 PM

Peter9930 said:
If there is a chance of damaging my componets, i'll just keep it the same as it says since the 3.7 ghz turbo boost would work well anyway, also I do plan to record gameplay since I've been wanting to do that for a while and, I don't need my games to look that amazing since im used to low graphics anyway.

Slim chance - but a chance nonetheless. I didn't mean to discourage you from trying if you want, I just wanted you to have all the info. Sandy Bridge processors tend to overclock so easily that many people take it for granted that "my 3.3ghz proc is really a 4.3-4.5ghz proc if you just flip a switch" - which really isn't the case. Yes, many can overclock like that, but not all - think about it, if they did and there was no risk of damage, why wouldn't intel market them as 4.3ghz processors? They could charge more...

We actually had a guy on here a month or two ago who was extremely agitated that his 2600k couldn't hit XXXghz like his friends - he thought he was for sure buying a 4.5ghz proc....sorry. And if he'd tried to leave it at 4.5ghz for very long in his case (since it was unstable and high temps), he'd have fried it for sure.
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:27:49 PM

You should go with an SSD drive, something like a 120gb Sata-3 500mbs up, 500mbs down. Very noticeable performance difference. If you are stuck on 1tb use the SSD for the op system and programs and the mechanical drive for storage.

everything else you have is fast, the HDD is going to be the restriction
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:34:28 PM

inanition02 said:
Slim chance - but a chance nonetheless. I didn't mean to discourage you from trying if you want, I just wanted you to have all the info. Sandy Bridge processors tend to overclock so easily that many people take it for granted that "my 3.3ghz proc is really a 4.3-4.5ghz proc if you just flip a switch" - which really isn't the case. Yes, many can overclock like that, but not all - think about it, if they did and there was no risk of damage, why wouldn't intel market them as 4.3ghz processors? They could charge more...

We actually had a guy on here a month or two ago who was extremely agitated that his 2600k couldn't hit XXXghz like his friends - he thought he was for sure buying a 4.5ghz proc....sorry. And if he'd tried to leave it at 4.5ghz for very long in his case (since it was unstable and high temps), he'd have fried it for sure.

I might try to overclock, but I really just want to get my system to work once I build it, since this is my first time building, it is my main priority. Maybe after a few months i'll decide to do it, and i'd definetly come back here for some help with it when I decide to. Oh, and I forgot to mention I might play SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) and I was wondering if this PC can hold it at a nice resolution and stuff, without the shaders, since I heard the shaders really eat at the performance.
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:45:14 PM

Chris Duncan said:
You should go with an SSD drive, something like a 120gb Sata-3 500mbs up, 500mbs down. Very noticeable performance difference. If you are stuck on 1tb use the SSD for the op system and programs and the mechanical drive for storage.

everything else you have is fast, the HDD is going to be the restriction

Also, thanks for the suggestion I might try to squeeze in a SSD since I did hear they improve performance by a nice bit.

Thanks!
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:46:08 PM

Peter9930 said:
I might try to overclock, but I really just want to get my system to work once I build it, since this is my first time building, it is my main priority. Maybe after a few months i'll decide to do it, and i'd definetly come back here for some help with it when I decide to. Oh, and I forgot to mention I might play SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) and I was wondering if this PC can hold it at a nice resolution and stuff, without the shaders, since I heard the shaders really eat at the performance.

Yep, should be great at SWTOR.
m
l
February 5, 2012 2:17:52 PM

inanition02 said:
Yep, should be great at SWTOR.

Alright. thanks for the help so far guys :D 
m
l
February 6, 2012 11:37:36 AM

My original suggestion to OC was based on the fact that the price difference to give him the option was minimal. I get there are no guarantees but chances are you will achieve a decent OC with a 2500K cpu. Also when putting a system together - that is time to put a better cooler on - not in a few months(much easier to do). Also a SSD is very nice - again, get it first and put OS and a few games on. You can get the HDD later. Much easier to add a HDD after the fact - you won't have to re-install the OS. Look at Tom's reviews of the SSDs & make your decision. A reliable boot drive is a good thing.
-Bruce
m
l
February 9, 2012 6:49:09 PM

Alright guys, I'm going to be ordering the parts at the end of the month and when they get here, I will build it. I'll come back and tell you guys if it works and if I have any problems i'll be coming back here Thanks guys!
m
l
February 9, 2012 10:04:25 PM

You should go to Z68 chipset motherboard and i5 2500K CPU because you might want to learn to overclock in the future. Experience the features of Z68 chipset MOBO like Virtu Lucid(utilizing the integrated GPU of the CPU and Discrete Video card) and Intel SRT(SSD caching).
m
l
!