Worries about skyrim

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hey there guys ;)

I post on youtube and going to do a Skyrim PC let play however I was wondering what you guy think of my spec and could my PC play and record at the same time. My spec are visible down in my signature :)

Thanks

Cain.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
You will want to oc that cpu as much as you can to alleviate any slow down as much as possible.
The 460 is a good card but dont expect to be able to do maximum settings in some games whilst recording.

What do I do then D: New CPU and graphics card ;( Look like I'm getting it on PS3 but that has poor graphic and glitches saving great...

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
As i said you could always try overclocking the cpu.
You will almost always get better results on a pc vs console.

I tried to OC it before but It worked for a month then I booted and it said 'Bad overclock F2 to go back to default' I got scared so never entered bios again lol D:

For me with Fraps, recording has never been that much of an issue, I have 1920x1200 stuff recorded back from 2008 and earlier without issues. The only way you will know is to try.

That said. You may have got the overclock failed message if you powered up the system then decided you did not need it and powered off before it had fully posted.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

I'm not overclocking again lol scared me to death -____-- The volts scare me also. Can't I get it to 3.5 with no change in volts?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t-overclocking_3.html#sect0

Looks confusing lol ;( I will give it a better look over later after work. Could I take it to PC world get them to OC it lol

Ok skyrim is cpu intensive.
Also you will struggle with the phenom in recording.
I use a 2500k at 4.5ghz, with a highly overclocked GTX 480 and 8GB ram, and here are some of my results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17q7wbyQEMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q0Hosm5fcQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgppEY-ye6w

Phenom isn't that slow, I play and fraps records just fine at a decent fps without any dips. The secret to getting decent fps in fraps while recording is to have a decent hard drive that can handle the load without to much lag. I often use fraps with a seperate drive while everything else is normal.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
When i was with my 955 i could'nt play smoothly whilst recording...
Albeit i was at max settings on all games which could be detrimental to performance.
I now have silky smooth recordings on the 2500k.
I went by experience that's all.. :D

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2500k and maybe another gtx 460 would that do the trick?

More power never hurts. A small number of programs may prefer the extra cores of your X6, but not many games.....

But you will overclock that one right? You have one of(best IMO) the BEST air coolers made.

majorgibly, nobody will be able to tell whether you will be able to do it or not. The only way to find out is try. I take you bought Skyrim already, if so you can download trial fraps version with the watermark. It won't be good for posting videos, but you will get an idea whether your PC is up to the task.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

If i bought it i would not be here asking questions, I have full version of fraps. Some people just know this stuff therefore they might know if it will or won't work.

Both will without a doubt put the pedal to the metal but the way to cheat with fraps is what I have already said use a separate drive for recording. One that has rather decent performance and no programs are installed on. For me I got a 2TB Hitachi deskstar to do the job and doesn't lag on me at all.

Who said that you have to use the trial version lol.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

This is going to sound silly, I installed one HDD is it the same someone once told me I needed to connect them? Shed any light on this?

Just install the drive as normal and when windows is loaded up, load fraps and go to movies then change the folder that it records to. Make a folder on the new drive and change fraps to record to it instead default ie c drive.