Sign in with
Your question

1st computer build, thanks alot amd, now i'm over budget.

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2012 1:46:20 PM

Hey all-

Approximate Purchase Date: If the IRS is good, this week. If not, then next.

Budget Range: as it stands, about 1500. am willing to spend a little more if I will see good performance improvements, but am trying to reduce costs mostly.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the web,

Parts Not Required: Moniter, keyboard, mouse, soundcard (dont want one yet), speakers, HDD: will get when prices drop or when I need the space, whichever comes first.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: cheap and reliable.

Parts Preferences: Really want a 7950

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: when the 7950 wont keep up.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments:

I'm loving the setup as it is, but dont know if there is money to be saved by going with something different. Specifically, the power supply, the motherboard (mostly worried about not getting "enough" motherboard, if you know what I mean)...

The HAF 932 is what I decided on, but if there is something similar that is cheaper, please let me know. I want room to expand, a side window, good ventilation.

So, if you guys can take a look at this for:
1) compatability
2) "trimming the fat"
3) Future proofing
4) performance: if there are things I can change increase performance (specifically motherboard, not so sure about that one), or if there are things I can reduce that would not ruin the performace to save money.
5) Lastly, how "solid" the build is- good, bad, etc.

Here you go:
Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($27.97 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1443.66
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-02-05 10:22 EST-0500)
February 5, 2012 2:06:31 PM

Wow, what the hell is up with the video card? XD
You aren't gaming at 1080P+ or multiple monitors, so why such an expensive card?
February 5, 2012 2:16:24 PM

I'm building for what I want in the future, not what I have now.

Now i have a single 22 inch acer moniter with a line of blue pixals running vertically down the right of the screen.

I will either be going with a multi moniter setup, or with a hi resolution single moniter. Haven't decided yet.

By all means, If I am off base, please suggest something else. 1600 bucks is a huge kick in the nutts.

And that's my girlfriends job, not my computers.

Related resources
February 5, 2012 2:16:24 PM

@singing.....ST,no offence but by no means that's a 'such an expensive card'.it can max almost every game at 1080p.it's 'enough' for modern games.no way overkill unless you are playing mincecraft! lollll!!!!
@Xero,that's hell of a high end rig.your selection is very good.i am using 1kw silent pro gold and it's very good but i am not sure about other models from coolermaster.many people are not happy with them.XFX is a better choice,here's one highly efficient psu enough for your rig with crossfire-
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bnlg...
February 5, 2012 2:22:19 PM

hellfire24 said:
@singing.....ST,no offence but by no means that's a 'such an expensive card'.it can max almost every game at 1080p.it's 'enough' for modern games.no way overkill unless you are playing mincecraft! lollll!!!!
@Xero,that's hell of a high end rig.your selection is very good.i am using 1kw silent pro gold and it's very good but i am not sure about other models from coolermaster.many people are not happy with them.XFX is a better choice,here's one highly efficient psu enough for your rig with crossfire-
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bnlg...

Seems pretty expensive when he stated that originally he wouldn't be even gaming at 1080P or multiple monitors.

Now that he stated he intends to upgrade his monitor and get multiple higher resolution monitors, then that sort of changes things doesn't it? :p 

No offence taken or meant to be dealt. :) 
February 5, 2012 3:08:11 PM

^ well said but still 79xx will do fine with 1080p res.a crossfire setup is required to do eyefinity.i would suggest a 7950 for now cause it will do better when he will upgrade his monitor.BTW i would suggest going with a bigger single monitor then 3-monitor.it's kinda weird to see blacks rods in your display.at least in my opinion!
February 5, 2012 3:42:50 PM

It's tought to take advice from someone with michael jackson as an avatar.

Nah, just messing. Just noticed it, and had to comment. To be honest, I'm going to make the decision after I get the computer up and running. Once I get the computer up and running, I'm going to look into overclocking, learn about that, and then do that.

Then comes the monitors, and what I'm doing for that.

February 6, 2012 1:18:17 AM

any more suggestions or ideas?

February 6, 2012 7:21:41 AM

it depends on your taste.some like multi-monitor but some like a single larger display.i am one of them!
February 6, 2012 7:42:15 AM

just get a corsair ax750W or the seasonic x750w both are 80plus gold if not get some 80plus bronze/silver from seasonic or corsair which one can offer the best price if not the 650w should be more than enough but taken would be 750w would be good like the corsair tx750
!