Sign in with
Your question

PC Shuts Down After 30 Mins of Gaming ???

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2012 1:59:10 PM

Hi guys i am really confused ATM i have quite a high spec PC but what i cant figure out is after 20-30 mins of battlefeild 3 my screen goes black and teh fans rev and the pc shuts down and the only way to get it back on is if i take out the power cable leave it for 5 minutes and plug it back in here is my specs and im preety sure that it isnt my computer overheating due to i havent got any overclock my CPU runs @40C at full load and thats after an Hour sesh on Call of Duty MW3 and my GFX Cards Dont gets higher than 65C

CPU - AMD x 4 960t @ 3.0GHz
CPU COOLER - Artic Cooler 13 Pro
MOBO - MSI 870a G-46
RAM - 8GB - 2 x 4GB Sticks Corsair Vengence 1600MHz
GFX - Crossfire 6870's 1GB 900/1050
PSU - G7 Extreme Modular 850w
CASE - Antec 900 v2

i think it could be a power supply issue but i thought it would be good to get some decent feedback

any sugestions or questions are welcome

More about : shuts mins gaming

February 5, 2012 2:06:59 PM

If temps look good for cpu and both grafx cards, then look into the rms wattage/amperage for your psu and make sure you have enough amperage to run your rig. If your psu has multiple rails, make sure your drawing power from each rail to balance the load. Thats all I can really think of.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 2:09:26 PM

Quote:
PSU - G7 Extreme Modular 850w

Who makes that??

Don't trust your expensive hardware to cheap generic garbage. The psu is the most important component of a system and the most ignored.
Related resources
February 5, 2012 2:11:15 PM

With 2 6870's I would think you might be putting your PS into protection mode. Same thing was happening to me with a Coolermaster Gold 800w and 2 6950's and an OC Q6600 I bought a SPARKLE Magna 1000w and have not had a problem since. now to upgrade the board and CPU next.
February 5, 2012 2:12:49 PM

http://www.maplin.co.uk/850w-g7-extreme-modular-atx-psu...

thats my PSU as for amperage and 12v rails youve lost me LOL all i know that this was over the Wattage for my build and that it could be capable of crossfire thats pretty much it sorry i cant give you alot thats why i came on here to see if someone could point me in the right direction

and i am more than happy to swap my PSU if anyone has any ideas
February 5, 2012 2:19:51 PM

A quality psu is paramount. You may want to consider looking into an 80 Plus certified psu for that rig. Now be careful when looking for an 80 plus cert psu bc there are a bunch of phony labled ones out there. This website http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.as... will give a full listing of real certified power supply units. Start there.
February 5, 2012 2:22:39 PM

I assume you are in the UK? I don't see one PS on that website (Maplin) that I would run in my system. do you have any other options for purchasing hardware?

I would go for at least a GOOD QUALITY 900w 3 or 4 12v Rail PS. Look at somethig like Corsair, Pc Power and Cooling, SPI (Sparkle), OCZ. Everyone will have their personal favorites but really cant go wrong with any of those. PC Power and Cooling can get very expensive though.
February 5, 2012 2:23:49 PM

i Think im gonna get either the Corsair TXM 850w or the Corsair TXV2 850w supposidly they are a good solid brand and more than capable for my PC but i am open to other suggestions i think my Budget would be around about £150
February 5, 2012 2:33:08 PM

Regardless of which psu you buy, make sure you have enough amps, look into the rms wattage, and it never hurts if its 80 plus cert.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 2:41:38 PM

A quality 650w psu is all you need. Make sure it's a 80+ certified model with at least a bronze certification. ANtec, XFX, Corsair are good.

The 750w is available on Maplin, or whatever it is.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/750w-xfx-pro-series-atx-psu-wit...

One of the best psu's around in the bronze rating. 5yr warranty.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 2:42:48 PM

Dvaughan said:
A quality psu is paramount. You may want to consider looking into an 80 Plus certified psu for that rig. Now be careful when looking for an 80 plus cert psu bc there are a bunch of phony labled ones out there. This website http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.as... will give a full listing of real certified power supply units. Start there.

If you buy a quality brand you don't have to worry about phony labels.
February 5, 2012 2:43:16 PM

well supposidly i need 500W for my crossfire GFX and 125W for the quad core and supposidly the ampage is about 20-25 and about 12
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2012 2:45:15 PM

You can Crossfire a pair of HD6870s on a quality 650W PSU.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch; operates on ~90V-240V A/C) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. If they aren't available to you, FSP is also mostly good. OCZ is mixed, but mostly ok. Apevia, Logisys, CM, and anything besides Enermax with "max" in its name are all not.
February 5, 2012 2:52:38 PM

geekapproved said:
If you buy a quality brand you don't have to worry about phony labels.

Good point! Just wanted to make myself clear to him.
!