First built computer, issues with heat.

JennyM

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Heya,

Built my first computer since everybody has said that its probably the cheapest thing to do...but I'm not much of a technical wiz. So far everything is functional but I'm concern with the heat being generated by my cpu...
at idle it goes from 38c-45c and when in a game like skyrim, it heats up to 65c-75c ( This is with 4 fans running at Max speed.)

I'm upgrading the case to a full tower, perhaps its just the ventilation...also might just upgrade the stock CPU to a Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm.

Hopefully that will cut out some of the heat...but still. I thought heat wouldn't be much of a concern since the system hasn't been overclocked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE

Cpu: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) (Stock CPU Fan)

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
-----------------

Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200

Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Mid Tower (currently running 4 fans/ Will be upgrading to Thermaltake Level 10 GT Black Edition )

jemm

Distinguished
For some reason your cpu temp is going higher than the max recommended which is 72.6°C. The most likely reason is the case, tough you won´t need to spend that much on a Thermaltake Level 10 GT Black Edition. I´d recommed you a COOLER MASTER HAF 932 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

If you are planning to overclock later, then you get the Noctua NH-D14, which is one of the best air cooler on the market.

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
try not running the fans on max your stock cooler is probably struggling to overcome them .. also will not be as noisey if you don't have a high rpm
check what tempeture your motherboard is while the cpu is that hot

JennyM

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Yes, those are already on order via Newegg, Both case and cooler master.
I have set up an emergency indicator when my system goes up to 72c It was at 75c before.

JennyM

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

I don't mind the noise to be honest, as long as it keeps my system from frying. It would have to do until I get the Cooler Master and new case.

Here is what info I can post, using 3 kinds of monitors. It hit the 74 mark when it was only 5 mins into skyrim.
This is with fans at 65 ( according to evga percision) which is lower that what I had before.

16976715.jpg

16989834.jpg

17549738.jpg

--bit that was cut off.

17551812.jpg

Ah, apologizing beforehand for my newbness with things...

JennyM

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

It's stock Intel cpu fan. It already comes with the thermal grease/paste already applied on it.

BUT YOU KNOW..I did have a bit of an issue when i was installing the fan. The pins were being a pain to push down into the motherboard so it took me awhile to get them down, while worrying I was going to break something. Ugh. I did check to see if they were well locked from behind the motherboard and all of them seemed well in place.

inanition02

Distinguished
I've seen the same performance with the stock Intel fan on a 2500k (virtually identical min/max) even after removing the stock HSF and re-applying different thermal paste.

I think there's something odd about HWMon and CoreTemp - the Gigabyte utility that came with my Z68XP-UD3 shows a range of 28-65 which is much better, though still not ideal.

JennyM

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Well that's rather comforting to know..when it comes to stock fans.
I guess for now I'll keep the action to a minimal and see how things go after the upgrades...

Also..just using the ones I've seen used the most around here, hardware monitor wise.