Great Video for First Time Builders

chosen12k6

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Since deciding to build my own system I have endlessly searched the internet for some of the best and most detailed videos on it. After viewing multiple videos multiple times I have determined this one to be the best. Not only will it answer you questions on figuring out compatibility of parts but it even makes some suggestions on processors, after-market heatsink/fans etc. Enjoy :D

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Promotion.aspx?storeid=33&name=DIY-PC-Combos&cm_sp=Pillar2-_-BuildYourOwn-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fhomepage%2fpillar%2fhomepage2011%2fbnr_lifestyle_combo.jpg

just copy and paste into the address bar then click go

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

Well the thing is, you can probably buy better parts at cheaper prices than the parts picked by NewEgg. As for compatiblity people should know this:

intel:
LGA1155: All i3, i5, i7 CPUs, most support the Celeron and Pentium series (most, not all)
LGA2011: The extreme line of i7 CPUs made by Intel. Most people don't have to worry about this socket since it is extremely pricey
Other Intel sockets: Not worth the money, go with LGA1155. The LGA2011 socket is NOT worth the money

AMD:
AM3: Phenom II cpus, such as the 960T, 965BE, and 1090T. Most Support the Athlon II and Sempron series (most not all)
AM3+: This is the newest AMD socket, it supports the FX CPUs. Be aware that some motherboards require a BIOS flash before the FX CPUs are recognized, which means you'll need an older AM3 CPU to flash the BIOS

People should also know that ATX form factor motherboards will NOT fit in micro ATX cases and sometimes mATX mobos won't fit in ATX cases, but most gaming computers support multiple form factors.

I have noticed that a distressing number of Newegg combos feature Logisys (or similar) PSU-shaped objects, which should never be connected to computer components if there is any chance they will be attached to an A/C power source at the same time.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

Me no use combos. EVAR
:lol:

chosen12k6

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
yeah I felt like newegg was "pushing certain products" especially choosing to not show an AMD build but I wasnt saying buy from newegg. Just that for learning how to check for compatibility on your own and piecing together the hardware this is a detailed video on that. If you went with that build in the video you would be spending at least $1000

chosen12k6

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Thanks for posting that I was just about to add the FX series processors issue with AM3+ mobos

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

The problem can be easily solved with a BIOS flash, but that requires a supported CPU, which many people DO NOT have.