Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth installing a sata hard drive with ssd also installed ?

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2012 4:12:43 PM

I have mid2010 macbook pro with 128gb ssd installed . Can I install a sata 500gb , 7200 rpm hard drive into the machine & put windows7 on the sata?
February 5, 2012 4:37:49 PM

You want Windows on the SSD. You would be massively downgrading by installing Windows on a mechanical hard drive and taking it off the SSD. What you want a hard drive for is storage. Move all your data, music, movies ,pictures ect. to the hard drive and leave the OS and your programs on the SSD.
m
l
February 5, 2012 4:43:12 PM

garry_79 said:
I have mid2010 macbook pro with 128gb ssd installed . Can I install a sata 500gb , 7200 rpm hard drive into the machine & put windows7 on the sata?

Leave everything on the ssd until you run out of space.

Only then move large files to a hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2012 4:52:53 PM

Macbook pros only have 1 hdd slot or am I looking at the wrong one?
m
l
February 5, 2012 4:56:44 PM

You can replace the optical drive with a hard drive. A friend actually did this and it works fine.
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:00:35 PM

anort3 said:
You want Windows on the SSD. You would be massively downgrading by installing Windows on a mechanical hard drive and taking it off the SSD. What you want a hard drive for is storage. Move all your data, music, movies ,pictures ect. to the hard drive and leave the OS and your programs on the SSD.

this is what i wanted to advice you too.

leave windows and other time critical software (games, some programs, drivers) on your SSD and use your HDD as a data storage for videos, music and backups.
m
l
!