Sign in with
Your question

5970 help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2011 7:47:26 PM

So as some people may know, quite a few people bought the Diamond 5970 from newegg on blackfriday because it was on sale for $299.99, I realise many other people may be having troubles with it just like me, so i am going to clarify some of the big issues in hope that people will see and may have a solution, Feel free to add other issues below.

One issue I am seeing alot is that some people are not getting there full performance out of there card. And by this I mean low FPS on games that lower end cards can max out. The 5970 is a beast card considering it's basicly 2 GPU's in one, So seeing low fps on games such as Left 4 Dead 2, GTA IV, A.V.A, Brink is heartbreaking.

Another issue I have seen a couple times (and has happened to me alot) is the 5970 is causing peoples computer to lock up and or crash. I figured out that it may be led to overclocking or overheating, However I had this issue so I turned my settings back to stock and it has worked fine ever since, mind the fact that its still hitting very high temps for stock clocks (60c idle and up to 80c ingame).

These are just a couple issues I have found in my 5 days of having this card.

System specs:
Intel core i5 2500k
8gb PNY 1333mhz DDR3
Diamond 5970 HD GPU
Corsair 750w power supply
asRock p67 extreme6 mobo

More about : 5970

December 6, 2011 8:00:44 PM

Any ideas on how to get more out of this card? I don't know whether to RMA is or keep it and see what happens.
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:06:37 PM

I have a small coolermaster 212, i could OC it up to 4.4ghz with that cooler, however i have no idea how to set the voltage, and to be honest i dont wanna mess anything up.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2011 8:22:16 PM

to turn to the voltage up would i go to "aditional turbo voltage" in my bios and click +0.8?
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:31:47 PM

ok. I went to Cpu core voltage, changed it to fixed voltage, and changed the voltage to 1.30v... correct?
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:45:02 PM

I have the same card from the BF deal. I agree with you on everything except the temperatures. They are pretty common for 5970's. Knowing we all have issues might be indicative of driver problems.
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:46:44 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Sorry for being such a bother, But setting the fixed voltage to 1.300v is 1.3volts right? I just don't wanna risk frying my CPU thats why im taking all these measures.
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:47:23 PM

phatman2600 said:
I have the same card from the BF deal. I agree with you on everything except the temperatures. They are pretty common for 5970's. Knowing we all have issues might be indicative of driver problems.

Its very much possible its just a driver issue, But the real question is if it is, when will it be fixed...
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:51:39 PM

Mcpepsii said:
Sorry for being such a bother, But setting the fixed voltage to 1.300v is 1.3volts right? I just don't wanna risk frying my CPU thats why im taking all these measures.

Setting the fixed voltage to 1.300v is the same as 1.3volts. I really hope we can resolve this issue. I have looked throughout the internet to see how to diagnose a faulty card. The truth is crossfire is working. I see both cards are working in MSI Afterburner. The only conclusion I can come up with is poor scaling.
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:59:53 PM

phatman2600 said:
Setting the fixed voltage to 1.300v is the same as 1.3volts. I really hope we can resolve this issue. I have looked throughout the internet to see how to diagnose a faulty card. The truth is crossfire is working. I see both cards are working in MSI Afterburner. The only conclusion I can come up with is poor scaling.

Oh ok thanks. And about the card, Yea i really hope we can resolve this. I know quite a few people who also got this card, and it seems as thought almost all of them are having problems, so it can't just be us. However right now im clueless on what to do next. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the newest drivers, I tried OCing, Ive done everything possible. I finally got the crashes to stop by turning my card back to stock clocks, but now were onto the next issue.
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:18:19 PM

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers several times. This is so frustrating!
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:44:45 PM

Hmm ok, so i overclocked my CPU to 4.5ghz, and that helped a little bit in some games. But what i just noticed, is that i think the problem we are all having is our cards are microstuttering, or maybe just mine, But that would explain the choppyness in some games.
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:48:11 PM

Mcpepsii said:
Hmm ok, so i overclocked my CPU to 4.5ghz, and that helped a little bit in some games. But what i just noticed, is that i think the problem we are all having is our cards are microstuttering, or maybe just mine, But that would explain the choppyness in some games.

What are your frame rates at though? I have noticed the micro stuttering too.
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:51:38 PM

I have the same problem, my computer simply freezes whenever i try to play games, i have tried multiple drivers i even installed a fresh new copy of windows 7, nothing seems to work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2011 9:52:48 PM

Mcpepsii said:
Its very much possible its just a driver issue, But the real question is if it is, when will it be fixed...

I am a big fan of AMD cards for their price to performance ratio but when I saw this deal I knew there was something fishy. Unfortunately, AMD is not known for posting driver fixes quickly; it took them over 2 weeks to get CrossfireX working in Skyrim after it's release. It may not be a driver issue, but it could very well be a card issue. Perhaps there was a bad batch of cards.
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:55:52 PM

So Skyrim at max settings on my 1920x1200 monitor gave me around 45 fps in the intro part of the game. Is this realistic? Crysis 2 maxed out in ultra gave me around an average of 40 fps, but dipped to 25 fps at its lowest. Battlefield 3 just crashes.
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:55:57 PM

In GTA IV fully maxed out i have an average of like 30-31 which is horrible...
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:56:27 PM

So should i RMA or any of you guys have suggestions? my computer keeps locking up, etc.
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:03:05 PM

Quote:
That game is cpu intensive so i wouldnt blame the gpu so much.

Even so, The i5 2500k is a great gaming CPU and its OC to 4.5ghz... an average of 30fps is rubbish. Could it be that i havnt updated that game? alot of people say that GTA 4 has updates or somthing... i havnt got to really test anymore demanding games to test the real power of my PC yet.
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:03:30 PM

Quote:
Send it to me and i could diagnose the problem :D 
Naa just kidding.
If it persists then i would throw it at the wall as i usually dont care to get my money back as my anger hits the red zone :D 
My ipad lasted 1 month! :/ 

Just RMA it and buy a single powerful gpu.

Should i wait for 7000 series? i need something powerful since i plan on playing on 3 monitors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2011 10:06:09 PM

phatman2600 said:
So Skyrim at max settings on my 1920x1200 monitor gave me around 45 fps in the intro part of the game. Is this realistic? Crysis 2 maxed out in ultra gave me around an average of 40 fps, but dipped to 25 fps at its lowest. Battlefield 3 just crashes.

Something is wrong with those Skyrim frames, especially with that card. I get 45-60 frames per second at max settings on my 1920x1080 monitor with a GTX 275 ...

Even though 45 frames per second isn't bad, that card should be keeping those frames at a constant 60.
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:12:55 PM

Quote:
I would hold onto the 5970 until 7xxx has released.

Well, like i said, my 5970 doesn't work at all. Also, what will be the price range for 7xxx
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:17:23 PM

Oh jees.. I just looked in my CCC and its detecting 2 "Radeon HD 5900 series" cards, however 1 is clocked at 0 everything... and the other one is clocked in at 400core clock and 900memory clock.... what the...
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:21:01 PM

Warmacblu said:
Something is wrong with those Skyrim frames, especially with that card. I get 45-60 frames per second at max settings on my 1920x1080 monitor with a GTX 275 ...

Even though 45 frames per second isn't bad, that card should be keeping those frames at a constant 60.

Do you think these are driver problems? Man, is this annoying.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2011 10:37:39 PM

phatman2600 said:
Do you think these are driver problems? Man, is this annoying.

Could be a host of issues. I honestly have no clue why all of these people are all the sudden having problems with their HD 5970's. It seems like the issues are coming from the cards ordered from Newegg on Black Friday.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2011 10:37:56 PM

i would run a driver cleaner (CCLeaner) and remove all previous drivers.

a friend had the problem when upgrading from 2x 6870's to 2x 6950's.

every game would restart the PC when u tried to start it. even GPUZ did this.

had to fully remove all traces of previous drivers and install fresh 11.11 one's
m
l
December 6, 2011 11:28:58 PM

Warmacblu said:
Could be a host of issues. I honestly have no clue why all of these people are all the sudden having problems with their HD 5970's. It seems like the issues are coming from the cards ordered from Newegg on Black Friday.

Yeah. All of our cards are from Newegg's Black Friday sale. The thing is that I did use a driver cleaner, which resulted in the same issues.
m
l
December 8, 2011 5:24:35 AM

also when using MSI afterburner in skyrim, bf3 and many other games the GPUs are not pegged at 99% they are only at 40-50% and i only get 35-40 fps.

is there any settign to limit the card to 40-50% performance.. driver sweeper new drivers old drivers and power settings changed and nothing has helped..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2011 12:07:38 PM

Skyrim doesn't utilize the entire graphics card at times. While playing my GTX 275 sometimes works at 99% and others around 40-50%.
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:38:21 AM

Those who have fps problems need to learn how to UPDATE your drivers. I got the same exact card and was able to get everything working properly with the latest drivers from AMD (11.11c + CAP2). This is a driver problem, as updating to this card from a non-crossfired card REQUIRES you to uninstall + DRIVER-SWEEP the previous drivers clean before installing the new ones.

Stop bitching about things immediately if you encounter a problem, learn to solve it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 11:52:22 AM

Fridge_Monster said:
Those who have fps problems need to learn how to UPDATE your drivers. I got the same exact card and was able to get everything working properly with the latest drivers from AMD (11.11c + CAP2). This is a driver problem, as updating to this card from a non-crossfired card REQUIRES you to uninstall + DRIVER-SWEEP the previous drivers clean before installing the new ones.

Stop bitching about things immediately if you encounter a problem, learn to solve it.

Generally I agree with you, but the number of people complaining about these cards in the past few weeks is unacceptable. You purchased yours from Newegg during Black Friday / Cyber Monday as well?
m
l
December 9, 2011 1:22:44 PM

Fridge_Monster said:

Fridge...you sir are a failboat captain sailing the seven seas of idiocy. I bought this card like many others and have the same issue. Unlike your retarded assumption would indicate, I did a completely fresh and clean install of only Windows 7, The exact drivers you mention, and Battlefield 3...and nothing else. This was installed on a brand new SSD. Therefore, there is either something wrong with the card, or the drivers themselves and nothing else.

Please contribute useful suggestions and not try to sound like you know what's up because you apparently are as clueless about the situation as a squirrel's nut sack.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 1:26:35 PM

mulherns said:
Fridge...you sir are a failboat captain sailing the seven seas of idiocy. I bought this card like many others and have the same issue. Unlike your retarded assumption would indicate, I did a completely fresh and clean install of only Windows 7, The exact drivers you mention, and Battlefield 3...and nothing else. This was installed on a brand new SSD. Therefore, there is either something wrong with the card, or the drivers themselves and nothing else.

Please contribute useful suggestions and not try to sound like you know what's up because you apparently are as clueless about the situation as a squirrel's nut sack.

Sheesh, no need to be so harsh.

You could of just said I did a fresh install and I am still having issues ...
m
l
December 9, 2011 1:37:35 PM

mulherns said:

Lol. Same. I reinstalled windows with 11.11c CAP2. It clocked 24 fps on Battlefield 3 on medium settings.
m
l
December 9, 2011 1:48:35 PM

phatman2600 said:
Lol. Same. I reinstalled windows with 11.11c CAP2. It clocked 24 fps on Battlefield 3 on medium settings.

Yep, that's about exactly what I'm getting...24fps on medium. Pathetic!

Last night, I even tried 11.10 and 11.9 cap4 as recommended in a similar thread and no dice.

Maybe we should start posting our OSs to see if there's a pattern between working and non-working configurations..

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I thought about trying 32-bit but that would be a waste of my 8 gigs of RAM.
m
l
December 9, 2011 8:06:51 PM

So Newegg received my card today. I contacted them and they told me that they didn't have any replacements, so they will refund me the money. Sucks, but oh well :( 
m
l
December 9, 2011 8:52:05 PM

WoW. I am dissapointed in newegg
m
l
December 9, 2011 8:52:32 PM

Looks like we didn't really get a deal after all
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 9:08:52 PM

It's not Neweggs fault. I say put that money into an HD 6970.
m
l
December 10, 2011 7:15:57 AM

The 6970 isn't worth it. The 7000 series is right around the corner and the 5970 at $300 was the sweet spot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 12:16:55 PM

phatman2600 said:
The 6970 isn't worth it. The 7000 series is right around the corner and the 5970 at $300 was the sweet spot.

But if the OP doesn't feel like waiting then the HD 6970 is a great card for it's price. Who knows how much the HD 7000 series may be, they may not even be worth the price.
m
l
December 14, 2011 12:32:59 AM

Update:

I bought a new Intel i5 2500k and Gigabyte motherboard and now the 5970 is SWEEEEET!

It now works like I expected. I guess it's picky on what it is paired with. $700 later total and I have the best gaming rig I've ever had!

Sorry for those it didn't work out for.
m
l
January 2, 2012 10:00:08 PM

The Diamond 5970's are junk. I posted in another thread about all the problems I'm having with BOTH of my cards. My suggestion is to RMA them to Newegg. They are currently out of stock and deactivated so you'll most likely get a refund from Newegg.

In my case I purchased two cards so it made sense to just ditch my cards and upgrade to the HD 6990 for $120 more. If you're looking for another cards in the $300 price range, spend the extra $200 and get the HD 7970. I've actually already RMA'ed my cards and purchased a replacement HD 6990.

If you're looking for a HD 6990 check out this page: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/6990...

I can't say this enough, don't ever buy a Diamond product. I'm still currently waiting for Diamond to even look at my support ticket from 6 days ago.
m
l
!