Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

3D Vision 2 or 40' 3DTV?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 6, 2011 8:49:10 PM

Im an owner of a 560 Ti Twin FrozR. Been using for a long time now, even on my new rig, a 37" 720p/1080i HDTV at 1360x768.

Im considering now that more and more games and movies come out on 3D that its mostly the onlything missing from my system. Even soundwise ( DTS speaking :)  ) ive been set for over a full 5 year period. Im going to SLI my 560 Ti soon and first thing I know I need a new display generally. Cant stand this low resolution.

Im having in mind the Asus VG278H 27" which seems small to me but the only released at decent size 3D Vision 2 ready monitor so far. Which then made me wonder why not just stick with HDTVs since those also have the same lame resolution as the nerfed new monitors nowdays at only 1900x1080. ( Anyone care to explain why this happens and monitors are not any higher at resolution except some exceptions anymore? Just a side question!).

The whole things as you understand led me to wonder whats the difference in a 3D TV vs Nvidia's 3D Vision 2? I know that even TV brands have diferences in their products using almost the same tech for 3D on their models. How can Nvidias be he same when it comes to games or movies? Anyone that has actually tested that can tell me?

TH's stuff are more than welcome :)  Im tired looking. Wasted all my day off looking around for info on key differences and can't find anything usefull other than the fact that I would have to use 3D Play by nvidia. Btw if I dont have to use a 3D Vision monitor cause a good 3D TV will give me same results Im going for UE40D8000 Samsung :D 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/telev...

Thank you in advance,

Manos :) 

More about : vision 3dtv

December 6, 2011 9:09:01 PM

3D Vision 2 is way better, unless you want a big tv...
December 6, 2011 9:11:40 PM

Simple answer is 3D Vision 2 monitor is designed to be compatible with the 3D effect produced by NVidia cards. This uses the cards you have to produce a 3D effect which displays on the monitor and uses NVidia active shutter glasses.

The Samsung has a processor of some sort that produces the 3D effect from the input it receives. My suspicion is that the NVidia 3D Vision will have a better 3D effect because more hardware is being used to produce it, but I haven't watched them side by side to compare.

The NVidia solution will require active shutter glasses, which cause more eyestrain for some people. It also slows down your cards some because they are rendering a 3D effect in addition to everything else they are doing. The Samsung will avoid this problem.

Which option you want to go with is up to you. If you have a chance to try both, you might see which you prefer. I don't know anywhere that has done a quality comparison.
Related resources
December 8, 2011 9:26:59 AM

legendkiller said:
3D Vision 2 is way better, unless you want a big tv...



I want both quality and also am a strong believer that size does matter ^.^
December 8, 2011 9:31:55 AM

aspleme said:
Simple answer is 3D Vision 2 monitor is designed to be compatible with the 3D effect produced by NVidia cards. This uses the cards you have to produce a 3D effect which displays on the monitor and uses NVidia active shutter glasses.

The Samsung has a processor of some sort that produces the 3D effect from the input it receives. My suspicion is that the NVidia 3D Vision will have a better 3D effect because more hardware is being used to produce it, but I haven't watched them side by side to compare.

The NVidia solution will require active shutter glasses, which cause more eyestrain for some people. It also slows down your cards some because they are rendering a 3D effect in addition to everything else they are doing. The Samsung will avoid this problem.

Which option you want to go with is up to you. If you have a chance to try both, you might see which you prefer. I don't know anywhere that has done a quality comparison.



That's the thing. I cant find a comparison anywhere! You are most likely completely right. 3D vision has to be offering much more when it comes to gaming but what about movies? It's probably the same thing. I just wish I could see for myself or have an actual comparison pinpointing the benefits of each.

I apreciate a lot your reply. I'll keep gathering ino but most likely I'll have to go for the monitor and a second 560Ti in order to not suffer in fps when activated the 3D Vision effect. Guess what I can do is get another pair of Monitors and create a 3D vision Surround setup but my 560Ti in SLI wont handle that :) 

Im just sad knowing that I'll have to give up on enjoying my 1080p Movies in here on a bigger screen.. Guess its time to start redoing the rest of the house too >.< I do hope I find proof that even out of games I can get the same somehow with a 3D TV but I honestly dont think so :/ 
December 8, 2011 10:49:42 AM

Manos said:
I want both quality and also am a strong believer that size does matter ^.^

LOL, How much you spending because there's no 40" 3d Vision II yet... There's 40" 3D but not 3D Vision II
December 8, 2011 3:59:23 PM

legendkiller said:
LOL, How much you spending because there's no 40" 3d Vision II yet... There's 40" 3D but not 3D Vision II



I have already mentioned that the 40" is a Samsung 3DTV. I even have the model posted and why the whole subject was brought up in the first place. 3DTV Vs Nvision. Not 27" vs 40".
a c 81 Î Nvidia
December 8, 2011 6:25:25 PM

The big questions are these:
1) Do you want a big TV for watching movies at 1080p, but be limited to 24hz with video games or 720p at 60hz in 3D vision (60hz per eye).

or

2) Do you want 1080p with 3D vision 2 @ 60hz and a brighter screen in 3D, but have a smaller screen for watching movies.
December 8, 2011 7:42:38 PM

bystander said:
The big questions are these:
1) Do you want a big TV for watching movies at 1080p, but be limited to 24hz with video games or 720p at 60hz in 3D vision (60hz per eye).

or

2) Do you want 1080p with 3D vision 2 @ 60hz and a brighter screen in 3D, but have a smaller screen for watching movies.


I love knowing that no matter how much I paid for, I paid for whats best. If I know that a 3D TV gives me the same quality of 3D in both 3D Nvision games as a 3D Vision monitor then Id probably go for the big ass TV cause Im used to it. Plus I use it mostly for Movies and then gaming. But if I get less out of 3D gaming with it I would probably go for a 3D VIsion monitor.

I wish I could know the actual differences in 3D Vision games when it came to a 3D TV and a 3D Vision monitor. For example the Samsung I want isn't just 40" but also @ 800Hz. Im just in love with it. But if I cant get the max out of games Id have to find another solution. That's why Im in such desperation for help to getting the facts on their differences.

Im obviously going shopping when I get my Xmass bonus from work in a week or 2 :S I wanna buy me at least something thats 3D capable at its best. Im still looking around but havent found the differences anywhere!

P.S. Would I really be limited to 24Hz gaming when the TV is 800Hz capable? Never thought about that.
a c 81 Î Nvidia
December 8, 2011 10:30:18 PM

Manos said:
I love knowing that no matter how much I paid for, I paid for whats best. If I know that a 3D TV gives me the same quality of 3D in both 3D Nvision games as a 3D Vision monitor then Id probably go for the big ass TV cause Im used to it. Plus I use it mostly for Movies and then gaming. But if I get less out of 3D gaming with it I would probably go for a 3D VIsion monitor.

I wish I could know the actual differences in 3D Vision games when it came to a 3D TV and a 3D Vision monitor. For example the Samsung I want isn't just 40" but also @ 800Hz. Im just in love with it. But if I cant get the max out of games Id have to find another solution. That's why Im in such desperation for help to getting the facts on their differences.

Im obviously going shopping when I get my Xmass bonus from work in a week or 2 :S I wanna buy me at least something thats 3D capable at its best. Im still looking around but havent found the differences anywhere!

P.S. Would I really be limited to 24Hz gaming when the TV is 800Hz capable? Never thought about that.


I thought I gave you the run down already. Let me try again.

All 3D TV's are limited in gaming. All of them cannot receive more than 24hz per eye at 1080p. If you get a 3D TV, your limited to 720p if you want 60hz.

That 800hz is some sort of gimmick that will not help you with 3D gaming.
December 8, 2011 11:40:29 PM

bystander said:
I thought I gave you the run down already. Let me try again.

All 3D TV's are limited in gaming. All of them cannot receive more than 24hz per eye at 1080p. If you get a 3D TV, your limited to 720p if you want 60hz.

That 800hz is some sort of gimmick that will not help you with 3D gaming.



Alrighty. I dont wanna be anoying. I guess I didnt quite get it :)  Might be that English isnt my primary language ( excuses I know :p  )

I just read that Nvidia supports 1080p60 through DL DVI. From an Nvidia support guy that is and not someone random. Does that not matter or am I getting it still wrong? If still not the case and I thought I was on something then I guess Im going for a 3D Vision monitor and not a TV :) 

And again, sorry for my lack of understanding. I just dont wanna mess this up.
a c 81 Î Nvidia
December 9, 2011 12:20:25 AM

Manos said:
Alrighty. I dont wanna be anoying. I guess I didnt quite get it :)  Might be that English isnt my primary language ( excuses I know :p  )

I just read that Nvidia supports 1080p60 through DL DVI. From an Nvidia support guy that is and not someone random. Does that not matter or am I getting it still wrong? If still not the case and I thought I was on something then I guess Im going for a 3D Vision monitor and not a TV :) 

And again, sorry for my lack of understanding. I just dont wanna mess this up.


You are right, it does require a DL DVI connection for 60hz 3D vision, and 3D TV's do not offer such connections.
December 9, 2011 12:21:45 AM

bystander said:
I thought I gave you the run down already. Let me try again.

All 3D TV's are limited in gaming. All of them cannot receive more than 24hz per eye at 1080p. If you get a 3D TV, your limited to 720p if you want 60hz.

That 800hz is some sort of gimmick that will not help you with 3D gaming.



Nvm, the UE40D8000 eitherway doesnt support DVI-DL from what I realise and neither do any 3DTVs so far ive gone through. And yeah I get the whole limitation is due to the HDMI itself as I read already.

I guess I will probably either start going for a 3D Vision and turn it into a triple Monitor setup later on or stick with one Monitor and place a bit higher a 3D TV later on wallmounted behind the monitor or something.

If anyone has any other ideas on what to do and more affordable or more info on thematter please let me know. I like being educated on things Im left out so far :p  And 3D has been one of those.

Thank you for your replies guys. Actually helped a lot! :) 

I'll keep checking in case I change my own mind somehow. Damn small size monitors with just 1080p :S
a c 81 Î Nvidia
December 9, 2011 1:33:58 AM

Manos said:
Nvm, the UE40D8000 eitherway doesnt support DVI-DL from what I realise and neither do any 3DTVs so far ive gone through. And yeah I get the whole limitation is due to the HDMI itself as I read already.

I guess I will probably either start going for a 3D Vision and turn it into a triple Monitor setup later on or stick with one Monitor and place a bit higher a 3D TV later on wallmounted behind the monitor or something.

If anyone has any other ideas on what to do and more affordable or more info on thematter please let me know. I like being educated on things Im left out so far :p  And 3D has been one of those.

Thank you for your replies guys. Actually helped a lot! :) 

I'll keep checking in case I change my own mind somehow. Damn small size monitors with just 1080p :S


The largest 3D monitors I know of are 27", which is a nice size if you are within 3 feet of it. You also must realize that there are no shutter glasses 3D monitors with a higher resolution than 1080p. It takes a DL-DVI connection to handle 1080p at 120hz (or 60hz per eye) and it takes a DL-DVI connection to handle those 2560x1600 resolution monitors at 60hz. If a 2560x1440 monitor was to be 3D, it would use a polarized version, which effective gives each eye half of the pixels on the screen.

The limitation is due to DL-DVI cables.
December 9, 2011 3:05:00 AM

bystander said:
The largest 3D monitors I know of are 27", which is a nice size if you are within 3 feet of it. You also must realize that there are no shutter glasses 3D monitors with a higher resolution than 1080p. It takes a DL-DVI connection to handle 1080p at 120hz (or 60hz per eye) and it takes a DL-DVI connection to handle those 2560x1600 resolution monitors at 60hz. If a 2560x1440 monitor was to be 3D, it would use a polarized version, which effective gives each eye half of the pixels on the screen.

The limitation is due to DL-DVI cables.



I simply had to ask myself "Do I really wanna be playing games like BF3 etc with 24fps?" The answer is simple. And with your replies and explanations ( Credit goes to the rest of the guys for helping out! ) I got things straight. Im already looking for ordering my second 560 Ti Twin FrozR II and a new PSU since my tower is a Mini one ( Armored A30 with a Maximus Gene-z in it ) Im trying to figure out what I need and which is best to fit in the damn case XD I should open a new thread for it for a reply huh?

Again thank you. I rather play at 60 FPS ( much acceptable ) in 3D than 24.. 24 is plain bad. No 3DTV play for me :)  You saved me from making a huge mistake!
!