No video on newly built computer, no display.

chromelobez

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hello, I have a problem with my new cpu build. I just recently built it, everything seems to be working in perfect order, but when i try to plug it into a monitor there is no video that shows up. Everything seems to be working fine. What could be the problem and how can I solve it without going to a computer repair shop.

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Im new to PC's in general I just built my first one 2 weeks ago but , What are you using Hdmi/dvi/Vga and what gpu ?

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

If you have on board graphics , or an old GPU remove the 6770 and Put in the old gpu and try it or onboard graphics - If That doesn't work Its not your Gpu and if it does the gpu is probably defective

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Im sorry then I have no idea , I would try to get someone way more experienced to help you , Im just gonna throw some extra things out there - could be Bad Psu or you didn't connect the wires correctly , It could be a monitor issue - Oh and if you never got your comp to work , then try putting in the windows operating system disk then boot it up , As I said , It could be something Simple or something Complicated , Sorry I couldn't help

marikenio

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Ok, try these:

1) Check that the motherboard is not laying flat on the case (use motherboard stands, if not you're shorting the board) or don't have more than what is needed (also shorting the board). This is usually a beginner mistake.
2) Unplug everything (HDDs, USB Front I/O, PCI cards), leave just the power connectors on the board (ATX, AUX) and just plug the keyboard and the mouse.
3) Just use one memory stick only and test it on each slot until you get POST/Beep.

RussK1

Splendid
i know it's a pain in the arse, but I would breadboard like Linus does in the provided video above [:russwood1488:7] ... it'll save you a lot of heartache in the end.

What's the power supply by the way? And the 6-pin PCIe power connector is plugged into the card?

It's not a trial and error thing.....you don't keep trying different things and hope something works.....open the manual....put it in the slots that the manual says it is supposed to go in. Start on page 1 and go thru the manual step by step making sure you didnt miss anything.

Do you have the power cables plugged into the vid card ?

IS the 8 pin EPS cable plugged into the MoBo ?

Did you use the monitor's OSD to select the proper input ?