Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Interesting Issue with multiple GPUs: No Signal to Monitor

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 6, 2011 11:57:11 PM

I recently upgraded a video card on my system. When I installed the new video card, making sure all connections were secure,
and the appropriate power cables were connected, everything went smoothly.

Upon power up, the case fans turn on, all LEDs on the motherboard are lit, the CPU fan turns on, and the fan on the video card turns on, but the monitor gives a "No SIgnal" message and there are 3 red lights lit on the back of the new video card.

I know most would say this is an issue with the power supply, but I'm positive it's not. The supply is good quality and is above the requirements of the new card.

The interesting is, when I attempting to re-install the old card I've been using this entire time without problems, the same things happens and there is a red light on the back of the card.

Additional information:

Upon power up the motherboard does not beep, and it does not seem like the actual computer is booting (no hard drive noises/general windows start up sounds from the speakers).

I've attempted to reset the BIOS by removing the battery on the mobo for 5 mins, but it didn't help.

Also, I don't have another system to test parts in or integrated graphics to test with.


At this point I'm completely stumped and getting a little frustrated, so ANY information you can give me at this point would save me from a lot of stress.

More about : interesting issue multiple gpus signal monitor

a c 247 U Graphics card
a c 85 C Monitor
December 7, 2011 12:03:13 AM

Did you uninstall the old drivers before removing the card / ....install new drivers after installing the new card ? Have the 6/8 pin PCI-E connectors plugged in at both ends ?
m
0
l
December 7, 2011 12:21:31 AM

I did not uninstall the old drivers before intsalling the new card, but it is of the same series as the old card.

Also, the OLD card is not working now with the old drivers installed, so I don't see how that could be the problem.

The system won't boot so I can't install new drivers or remove the old ones now.

Also, yes, the correct 6 pin PCI-E connectors are being used
m
0
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 12:36:56 AM

Your CPU isn't compatible with your motherboard. I have no idea how it worked before. But obviously it doesn't work now.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 1:26:27 AM

4745454b said:
Your CPU isn't compatible with your motherboard. I have no idea how it worked before. But obviously it doesn't work now.



I am not trying to be a smart ass maybe I am more like a dumb ass. I do know you know what you are talking about, but how did you come to the conclusion that it is his CPU? Please don't take it the wrong way. I would like to learn how you did that. is it something you have experinced before? I would of never guessed in a million years that would be his problem.
m
0
l
December 7, 2011 1:45:58 AM

DM186 said:
I am not trying to be a smart ass maybe I am more like a dumb ass. I do know you know what you are talking about, but how did you come to the conclusion that it is his CPU? Please don't take it the wrong way. I would like to learn how you did that. is it something you have experinced before? I would of never guessed in a million years that would be his problem.


I don't know, I feel he may be trolling me slightly. Either way, I'm 100% positive my mobo and cpu are compatible, and they have been running fine for over a year now.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 2:22:16 AM

sweetd said:
I don't know, I feel he may be trolling me slightly. Either way, I'm 100% positive my mobo and cpu are compatible, and they have been running fine for over a year now.



That may be but I have seen this guy on here and he has always given very good advise. But who knows we are what we are and Good luck with your problem I hope you get it fix.
m
0
l
December 7, 2011 4:12:32 AM

I have been messing around with my cards lately I am trying to crossfire and am having issues.
I did have the same problem after I installed the other card to my board windows auto installed a driver think that might have messed things up and or I forgot to hook up power to the to the card.
Either or.. Been having so many issues with getting cross-firing stability.. blah blah..ect

1.power to card
2.hold F8 to get into safe mode"even tho if you dont see anything on screen" Drive sweep.."download it is free.
3.uninstall in add in remove programs of driver also for insurance. then re-install driver from web sight.
m
0
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 5:32:19 AM

I'm only trolling slightly. I was trying to point out that seeing as we have NO idea what his system is made up off, trying to figure out whats wrong is pretty hard. System specs always help.

My first guess is dead motherboard. I've had it happen before where I replaced/upgraded X device, and the board just happened to die. (my P5K-E wifi) If nothing powers up and you've tested with a known good PSU, then its usually the board. Probably not the new card seeing as the old one doesn't work either. Breadboard it and see if you have any luck, but I'm guessing dead board/PSU.
m
0
l
December 7, 2011 7:53:16 PM

4745454b said:
I'm only trolling slightly. I was trying to point out that seeing as we have NO idea what his system is made up off, trying to figure out whats wrong is pretty hard. System specs always help.

My first guess is dead motherboard. I've had it happen before where I replaced/upgraded X device, and the board just happened to die. (my P5K-E wifi) If nothing powers up and you've tested with a known good PSU, then its usually the board. Probably not the new card seeing as the old one doesn't work either. Breadboard it and see if you have any luck, but I'm guessing dead board/PSU.


Honestly, the reason I didn't post system specs was because I know everything is perfectly compatible, and has been running fine for over a year now together. I also know the new card is compatible.

Would you still say it's a dead motherboard, even if all the LEDs on the motherboard light up, and the CPU fan turn on when I press the power button? These are the reasons I'm having a hard time going with this diagnosis. It's a Gigabyte board btw.
m
0
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 8, 2011 3:03:58 PM

Interesting, wish I could help with that. (mods don't like it when people bump posts btw.)
m
0
l
!