mytomshardwareacc

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
hello, im trying to install an asus HD 6950 DirectCUII

im running

Mixcorosoft Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3

Motherboard: DG31PR

Processor: E8400 @3.00GHz

RAM: 3.00 GHz, 3.24 GB (not too sure just lifted off of system properties)

PSU: 500W OCZ500SXS

so when i tried to start up my computer with the card in my monitor just went into sleep mode.

not sure what is going on or if the card is even compatible with my motherboard?

what can be the issue and what can i do to try and fix it?

Solution

You need to also plug in 2 more pins, you could have possibly fried your card out.

mytomshardwareacc

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
there are two slots for power on the card, an 8pin slot and a 6pin one. my power supply only has the 6pin available and that is all i plugged into it.

what kind of problems will the e8400 have running alongside the 6950? it should at least start up though?

You need to also plug in 2 more pins, you could have possibly fried your card out.

Solution

mytomshardwareacc

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

the fans turned on fine fwiw.

are you saying that the 6pin slot for power on the video card is useless and i should just be using the 8pin one instead?
the manual referred to it as an auxiliary power connector.

my friend thought that the card my be incompatible with my what should be now an old motherboard.

i've searched many threads where people were still contemplating upgrading their video card on this particular motherboard so i dont think that would be the issue, although no one has followed up in those threads.

i just want to make sure before dishing out another $100 for a power supply that i might need another cpu which would probably be better suited for another motherboard and drop another $500+ on everything :D...

...sooo power supply is the most likely fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.