Advice on $2000 rig for webdesign, video and gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

getfunky

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
First off, this site is awesome. I spent the last 48hrs reading and researching as much as I could and at the time of writing this, I'm thoroughly exhausted :sleep: So forgive me I forgot to mention something.

Approximate Purchase Date: Before Feb end
Budget Range: $2000. If i can get all I need for less that is even better.
System Usage: Adobe CS5 for web and HD video editing(short films) and gaming
Parts Not Required: None. Have nothing. Need to buy everything needed.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com, directcanada.com or any other recommended canadian site
Parts Preferences: None. Open to any suggestions.
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Yes but depending on card and cost might be done later.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200
Additional Comments: Would love if it is quiet, as compact as possible and stable/reliable parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final build!

CPU: i7 2600k
Motherboard: Asus p8z68 pro-v GEN3
Memory RAM: 16GB (4x4gb) 1600 - Corsairs vengeance low profile
Video Card: Powercolor OC Radeon HD 7950
Cooling fan: Hyper 212 EVO
Cases: HAF 922
Power Supply: xfx 850w
Hard Drives: 120gb Crucial M4 SSD with Western Digital 1TB
Optical Drives: Liteon lightscribe dvd-rw
Monitor: Dell U2412M
Keyboard: Razer Mamba
Mouse: Logitech k800
Speakers or Headset: Logitech k980

Solution

The 850 will handle two of those cards just fine and for a few $ more you can get the TX850 modular. Also look at the XFX 850w psu seeing how like Corsair psu's, they are both manufactured by Seasonic.

As far as keeping that case cool, you can add a side 200mm red LED CM case fan for around $15 which will help keep the temps down even more. Best Direct Canada has them and Direct Canada might have them also.

getfunky

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Awesome! That did help a lot. But i have a few questions based on the build you recommended.
Given my priority is video editing and web designing, would I be better of with the i7 2600k or is the i5 2500k enough? Same questions with regards to HD 7970 vs 7950. And finally, would i need 16gb or is 8gb enough for my usage?

Once again, thanks for that link.

The 2600K for sure and as cheap as RAM is atm, 16gb.

getfunky

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I've updated the original post with many of your options. How does this build look now? Any recommendations on which to pick from those that have two choices?

Everything looks good. That asrock board you have listed is a single card board so you don't want that one.

Here's some cheaper alternatives with mobo's that are set up to run dual vid cards although that Asus board you have up there is a good one.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950BD8569&vpn=Z68%20Extreme4&manufacture=Others

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950BD6381&vpn=P8Z68-V/GEN3&manufacture=Others

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950BD2247&vpn=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3&manufacture=Others <---- this board has 2 USB 3.0 ports in the rear as all these boards have, but it doesn't have a front USB 3.0 header for 2 front USB 3.0 ports. To some people it matters, to others it's no big deal.

getfunky

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I pretty much narrowed down it too what should be the final list. Only question I have is, will the PSU chosen be more than enough to handle this build? And if I add another same videocard down the line for crossfire, OC to 4.5, will it still be enough?

Thanks why_me for helping me reach this final list.

getfunky

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks azeem. I plan to OC to 4.5 as well. The TX850 you recommend is able to handle it? Finally, with 2 7950's and OC i7 is the Hyper 212 EVO good enough to keep things cool inside?

The 850 will handle two of those cards just fine and for a few $ more you can get the TX850 modular. Also look at the XFX 850w psu seeing how like Corsair psu's, they are both manufactured by Seasonic.

As far as keeping that case cool, you can add a side 200mm red LED CM case fan for around $15 which will help keep the temps down even more. Best Direct Canada has them and Direct Canada might have them also.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.