Sign in with
Your question

I5 vs I7 real world gaming performance

Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2012 9:04:55 PM

The charts tell us an I5 is the best performance per dollar.

I've read many places
The I7's have diminishing returns in part because games are not optimized for 8 threads so the benefits are nil.
(I'm skipping the over clocking benefits for this topic)

But!

My machine is not a test rig.
I have multiple processes going behind the game such as steam, chrome, antivirus, crap that shouldn't be running...

Do you guys think the extra threads on the I7 would more efficiently handle the extra processes?

a c 283 à CPUs
May 21, 2012 9:11:32 PM

Unless those other processes are actively using the CPU ALL the time (which they shouldn't be), there's no real advantage to the i7 in gaming, IMO.
a c 203 à CPUs
May 21, 2012 9:21:44 PM

ghb70005 said:
My machine is not a test rig.
I have multiple processes going behind the game such as steam, chrome, antivirus, crap that shouldn't be running...
Your system is really no different from anyone else's system.
That article does not apply only to test rigs.
Related resources
a c 188 à CPUs
May 21, 2012 10:11:45 PM

As the others have stated there really isn't much advantage to go with an Intel® Core™ i7 over an Intel Core i5 processor for a gaming system. Unless you are really doing a bunch of work in the background which it doesnt sound like you are then the Intel Core i5 is the way to go.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2012 10:25:12 PM

Not only is the i5 a better value, it's often a better performer in an absolute sense. The only time the i7 pulls ahead is when both CPUs are already pushing well over 100 FPS, i.e. in applications that are optimized for eight incongruent threads.
May 22, 2012 4:35:15 AM

Well that settles that!
Thanks guys!
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 4:35:57 AM

Nada
!