Cingular data options

If I don't want to go with an edge card, but rather just an emergency backup
for those times when I otherwise cannot connect, is it possible to use a
standard connection as a slow-speed (9600 baud) internet connection? I seem
to recall that ATTWS prohibited that sort of thing entirely, but perhaps in
the new world order...

My phone is an SE T68i, but that might change to a Motorola Razr V3.

Thanks-

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
15 answers Last reply
More about cingular data options

    You already have Pay As You Go Data with Cingular. The 68i has GPRS. If you
    just Pay As You Go its billed at .01 per KB. Unfortunately you cant get CSD
    anymore, as just like ATTWS they dont want to put people on it. Old and slow
    technology. You could also get a package with some MB included.

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message
    > If I don't want to go with an edge card, but rather just an emergency
    backup
    > for those times when I otherwise cannot connect, is it possible to use a
    > standard connection as a slow-speed (9600 baud) internet connection? I
    seem
    > to recall that ATTWS prohibited that sort of thing entirely, but perhaps
    in
    > the new world order...
    >
    > My phone is an SE T68i, but that might change to a Motorola Razr V3.
    >
    > Thanks-
    >
    > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    > Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReaction.com
    > Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Oh yes you can get CSD. It does cost $3.99 a month for the privilege, but
    you can get it. I added it to my phone myself using the website. I added
    the feature called "Wireless Internet" for $3.99 a month. It even comes
    with an ISP to dial in to. Make sure you add "Wireless Internet" and not
    "Wireless Internet Express."

    Also, as the PDA Man mentioned, your phone does have GPRS, and it is so much
    better anyways, and that's what I just switched to now. ($19.99 a month
    unlimited, and that would work with edge too if you get that razr) It also
    comes with the CSD features as a back up in when traveling in rural areas.

    "PDA Man" <pdaman@man.net> wrote in message
    > You already have Pay As You Go Data with Cingular. The 68i has GPRS. If
    you
    > just Pay As You Go its billed at .01 per KB. Unfortunately you cant get
    CSD
    > anymore, as just like ATTWS they dont want to put people on it. Old and
    slow
    > technology. You could also get a package with some MB included.
    >

    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message
    > > If I don't want to go with an edge card, but rather just an emergency
    > backup
    > > for those times when I otherwise cannot connect, is it possible to use a
    > > standard connection as a slow-speed (9600 baud) internet connection? I
    > seem
    > > to recall that ATTWS prohibited that sort of thing entirely, but perhaps
    > in
    > > the new world order...
    > >
    > > My phone is an SE T68i, but that might change to a Motorola Razr V3.
    > >
    > > Thanks-
    > >
    > > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    > > Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > > www.ChainReaction.com
    > > Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Its funny, I have read were people are refused, I was 3 months ago, yet you
    just added CSD Its almost like going to Los Vegas, getting certain data
    plans and options with Cingular is a hit and miss it appears. I guess if one
    CSR says no, try another.. If CSD works for you, give it a whirl!.

    "ja" <__jame_sayton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Oh yes you can get CSD. It does cost $3.99 a month for the privilege, but
    > you can get it. I added it to my phone myself using the website. I added
    > the feature called "Wireless Internet" for $3.99 a month. It even comes
    > with an ISP to dial in to. Make sure you add "Wireless Internet" and not
    > "Wireless Internet Express."
    >
    > Also, as the PDA Man mentioned, your phone does have GPRS, and it is so
    much
    > better anyways, and that's what I just switched to now. ($19.99 a month
    > unlimited, and that would work with edge too if you get that razr) It
    also
    > comes with the CSD features as a back up in when traveling in rural areas.
    >

    > "PDA Man" <pdaman@man.net> wrote in message
    > > You already have Pay As You Go Data with Cingular. The 68i has GPRS. If
    > you
    > > just Pay As You Go its billed at .01 per KB. Unfortunately you cant get
    > CSD
    > > anymore, as just like ATTWS they dont want to put people on it. Old and
    > slow
    > > technology. You could also get a package with some MB included.
    > >

    > > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message
    > > > If I don't want to go with an edge card, but rather just an emergency
    > > backup
    > > > for those times when I otherwise cannot connect, is it possible to use
    > > > standard connection as a slow-speed (9600 baud) internet connection? I
    > > seem
    > > > to recall that ATTWS prohibited that sort of thing entirely, but
    perhaps
    > > in
    > > > the new world order...
    > > >
    > > > My phone is an SE T68i, but that might change to a Motorola Razr V3.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks-
    > > >
    > > > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    > > > Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > > > www.ChainReaction.com
    > > > Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    The problem with Cingular is that most of their salemen and customer
    support reps are not trained in data connection options. They haven't
    the foggiest. :O

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    > But... isn't that $3.99/month (CSD)/$19.99/month (Edge) restricted to
    > web use for the cell-phone only... not something that can be sent to a
    > laptop? And how is the $19.99/month "unlimited" edge/gprs consistent
    > with the outrageous fees for their "data" plans?

    That's just what I thought. But someone else replied that they do use
    their phone tethered to their Palm with the Media Connect Unlimited
    plan. He claimed that there was nothing in Cingular's legel statement
    prohibiting tethering to a Palm or laptop. I read the statement a
    little differently. See the link below:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.cellular.cingular/browse_thread/thread/1d61ad01d80087e9/997dbedd05c1df13?q=tethered+tony+clark&rnum=1#997dbedd05c1df13

    In article <XOZze.42774$J12.4508@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote:

    > But... isn't that $3.99/month (CSD)/$19.99/month (Edge) restricted to web
    > use for the cell-phone only... not something that can be sent to a laptop?
    > And how is the $19.99/month "unlimited" edge/gprs consistent with the
    > outrageous fees for their "data" plans?

    What I was told by someone from Cingular was that the less expensive
    plan (I think he quoted about $40/month, not $19.99) required a "pda
    phone" such as a Treo, while the $80/month was for either a wireless
    card in a laptop or an ordinary cell phone used as a modem on a laptop.

    But he did not sound as though he understood the subject very well, so
    might easily have been wrong.

    --
    Remove NOPSAM to email
    www.daviddfriedman.com

    In <XOZze.42774$J12.4508@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005
    00:17:59 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote:

    >> Oh yes you can get CSD. It does cost $3.99 a month for the privilege, but
    >> you can get it. I added it to my phone myself using the website. I added
    >> the feature called "Wireless Internet" for $3.99 a month. It even comes
    >> with an ISP to dial in to. Make sure you add "Wireless Internet" and not
    >> "Wireless Internet Express."
    >>
    >> Also, as the PDA Man mentioned, your phone does have GPRS, and it is so
    >> much
    >> better anyways, and that's what I just switched to now. ($19.99 a month
    >> unlimited, and that would work with edge too if you get that razr) It
    >> also
    >> comes with the CSD features as a back up in when traveling in rural areas.
    >
    >But... isn't that $3.99/month (CSD)/$19.99/month (Edge) restricted to web
    >use for the cell-phone only... not something that can be sent to a laptop?
    >And how is the $19.99/month "unlimited" edge/gprs consistent with the
    >outrageous fees for their "data" plans?

    While there are some minor service restrictions, these plans *can* be used
    with a "tethered" device (e.g., laptop) -- I do it all the time.

    In article <wt2Ae.3654$p%3.22064@typhoon.sonic.net>,

    > In <XOZze.42774$J12.4508@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005
    > 00:17:59 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> Oh yes you can get CSD. It does cost $3.99 a month for the privilege, but
    > >> you can get it. I added it to my phone myself using the website. I added
    > >> the feature called "Wireless Internet" for $3.99 a month. It even comes
    > >> with an ISP to dial in to. Make sure you add "Wireless Internet" and not
    > >> "Wireless Internet Express."
    > >>
    > >> Also, as the PDA Man mentioned, your phone does have GPRS, and it is so
    > >> much
    > >> better anyways, and that's what I just switched to now. ($19.99 a month
    > >> unlimited, and that would work with edge too if you get that razr) It
    > >> also
    > >> comes with the CSD features as a back up in when traveling in rural areas.
    > >
    > >But... isn't that $3.99/month (CSD)/$19.99/month (Edge) restricted to web
    > >use for the cell-phone only... not something that can be sent to a laptop?
    > >And how is the $19.99/month "unlimited" edge/gprs consistent with the
    > >outrageous fees for their "data" plans?
    >
    > While there are some minor service restrictions, these plans *can* be used
    > with a "tethered" device (e.g., laptop) -- I do it all the time.

    What sort of a phone are you using to do it?

    --
    Remove NOPSAM to email
    www.daviddfriedman.com

    In <ddfr-773828.23451609072005@news.isp.giganews.com> on Sat, 09 Jul 2005
    23:45:16 -0700, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:

    >In article <wt2Ae.3654$p%3.22064@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >> >But... isn't that $3.99/month (CSD)/$19.99/month (Edge) restricted to web
    >> >use for the cell-phone only... not something that can be sent to a laptop?
    >> >And how is the $19.99/month "unlimited" edge/gprs consistent with the
    >> >outrageous fees for their "data" plans?
    >>
    >> While there are some minor service restrictions, these plans *can* be used
    >> with a "tethered" device (e.g., laptop) -- I do it all the time.
    >
    >What sort of a phone are you using to do it?

    * Sony Ericsson Z600
    * Motorola V551
    * Sony Ericsson GC82 (PC card modem)

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    you can still tether to a laptop using the unlimited media net plan.
    You don't need the more expensive data plan.

    --
    troyboy30
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    The current razr does not have edge.

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:51:53 -0400, "ja" <__jame_sayton@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >Oh yes you can get CSD. It does cost $3.99 a month for the privilege, but
    >you can get it. I added it to my phone myself using the website. I added
    >the feature called "Wireless Internet" for $3.99 a month. It even comes
    >with an ISP to dial in to. Make sure you add "Wireless Internet" and not
    >"Wireless Internet Express."
    >
    >Also, as the PDA Man mentioned, your phone does have GPRS, and it is so much
    >better anyways, and that's what I just switched to now. ($19.99 a month
    >unlimited, and that would work with edge too if you get that razr) It also
    >comes with the CSD features as a back up in when traveling in rural areas.
    >

    >"PDA Man" <pdaman@man.net> wrote in message
    >> You already have Pay As You Go Data with Cingular. The 68i has GPRS. If
    >you
    >> just Pay As You Go its billed at .01 per KB. Unfortunately you cant get
    >CSD
    >> anymore, as just like ATTWS they dont want to put people on it. Old and
    >slow
    >> technology. You could also get a package with some MB included.
    >>

    >> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message
    >> > If I don't want to go with an edge card, but rather just an emergency
    >> backup
    >> > for those times when I otherwise cannot connect, is it possible to use a
    >> > standard connection as a slow-speed (9600 baud) internet connection? I
    >> seem
    >> > to recall that ATTWS prohibited that sort of thing entirely, but perhaps
    >> in
    >> > the new world order...
    >> >
    >> > My phone is an SE T68i, but that might change to a Motorola Razr V3.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks-
    >> >
    >> > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    >> > Chain Reaction Bicycles
    >> > www.ChainReaction.com
    >> > Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    sure don't

    --
    troyboy30
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I've got the V551 and have tried the motorola software, the cingular
    software....random website information... I am out of ideas. Are you
    guys customizing the connection in some way?

    laptop running xp home
    usb teather
    v551
    wireless internet express (Unlimited Meda Package) 19.99
    Motorola software (updated)
    Cingular connection manager (updated)

    Thanks!
    Marshall
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <1121998369.330873.3430@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on 21 Jul 2005
    19:12:49 -0700, mwolfe83@gmail.com wrote:

    >I've got the V551 and have tried the motorola software, the cingular
    >software....random website information... I am out of ideas. Are you
    >guys customizing the connection in some way?
    >
    >laptop running xp home
    >usb teather
    >v551
    >wireless internet express (Unlimited Meda Package) 19.99
    >Motorola software (updated)
    >Cingular connection manager (updated)
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Marshall

    See my webpages below.

Cingular Connection Internet Connection Internet Service Providers