Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 RC 32-bit or Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows 7
January 11, 2010 5:56:40 AM

I recently built a new computer (Athlon II X4 630, 4gig DDR3 1600) and am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit RC. I just got a OEM copy of Vista Home Premium 64-bit for free and want to install it so that I will have a 64-bit OS. Is this a good idea? I cannot afford to buy Windows 7 right now but plan on doing so in the future. I was thinking that if I install Vista 64-bit now I will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit when I have the money without having to reinstall all my programs. I know there is a lot of Vista hate out there but I'm been using it on my laptop for a few years now and have few complaints. All the negatives I read about online don't seem that bad to me. I do like Windows 7 RC and will upgrade when I can get the pennies. But for now, isn't Vista Home Premium 64-bit better than Windows 7 RC 32-bit (which will only be good until March)? (I cannot seem to find a copy of Windows 7 RC 64-bit.)

More about : windows bit vista home premium bit

a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2010 6:30:26 AM

You're probably best off with the Vista installed as the RC will become a pig to use before too long. You can do an upgrade install but a clean install is always recommended.
m
l
January 11, 2010 3:53:58 PM

That's what I was thinking. I had a question about the benifits of 64-bit. The main advantage is the use of all my memory. If 32-bit uses up to 4gb, and I only have 4gb than there is not really any advantage. I know I don't get all 4gb with 32-bit because of bios, drivers, video and other things. I only get 3.25gb. But wont that be the case with 64-bit as well? Until I decide to get more memory, I will still only have access to the 3.25gb?
m
l
Related resources
!