Painting a corsair 500r

OCGL16

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Hi everyone. I really like the look of the 500r but just want to make it my own. I'm thinking about getting a white chassis, (because white is easier to cover), painting the white parts blue, and installing 6 blue antec 120's and a blue 200mm. But, i dont know what paint i should use. All i know is to not use spray paint and finish it off with a clear coat once everything is dried :p. Also, what do yo guys think about this scheme? Would green or red pook better? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
You can use spray paint (that works on metal). You have to sand down the original paint, apply primer (available as spray, too), let it dry accordingly and than apply a color of your choice. Preferably multiple layers, but pay attention on how to handle that part. Should be noted on the paint.

You should also take apart the case as much as possible, remove all parts than can be removed and paint them separately for the best possible result.

All parts should be free of dust, oil, etc., too.

Btw, it helps to wear long clothes and a face mask of some sort. You don't want to breath in the paint and you don't want it on your skin. It's not that bad, but quite a few people are allergic to the ingredients and it's just a good idea to protect yourself from such kind of chemical stuff, if possible. Paint in the open or at least a well ventilated room. ;)

OCGL16

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
I didn't even think of sanding or primer! Thanks! And now that ithink of it, i would probably ONLY use spray paint because i don't know how the hell i would be able to get an even coat.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
its all about prep, sand and steel-wool the whole thing as well, if the case is smooth and glossy the pait/primer will not stick well, trust me i know, painted with heat resistant paint on an old case and i can scrape the black off with my fingternail, sucks that im going to have to re do the whole thing once i use it, (painted it a long time ago when i didnt know how bad it would be) but you dont need to completely remove the paint taht is already on it, just make it rouch enough for new primer and paint to stick.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

It's not. Like opalarrow said, if you are going for a glossy look it's a no brainer and will add to it. If you want it to be a non glossy finish, it can be quite bad (for the look). You can circumvent the protective part by applying more layers of paint, at least in areas that are likely to get scratched.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
bt with custom paint, sometimes a mix is good too. i painted my lawnmower with gloss metalic silver and some flat black, looks pretty BA for a 30 year old lawn mower xD my case didnt fare so well though.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
yes it is, now if i could stop being so lazy and fix the carburator and clean everything out of old oil and figure out why it sont start, or take a charge from another car battery, aaanyway though after you finish painting it (use scotch blue painters tape, expencive but it make smuch smoother paint lines than when you use masking tape. (for 2-tone painting) and post pics when you are all done! good luck!