HD 5850 performance trouble

bc5777

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help or advise. I just got a new hd 5850, upgrading from a 4870, I'm having bad issues in some games - Alice Madness returns, NFS Shift 2 and Duke Nukem Forever specifically, the moment it hits gameplay after the menu I get freezing/stuttering black screen pause like it's 1FPS or something. BUT in other games like Spider Man Shattered Dimensions and Sonic Generations play fine. DIRT 3 I can set everything to maximum and it plays like butter, benchmark test at 1080p is AVG 53 FPS?? That's good right??

What gives?? When I installed, I removed previous drivers in safe mode, then installed latest CCC fresh. The games that play bad now, I could play better with my 4870.

I'm kinda stumped.

Please Help :cry:

bc5777

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

I haven't noticed any display driver error messages, is there a log to check? and the games don't completely crash, it goes black and stutters as if I'm trying to play the games on a really old card, it's jerky and the sound quits. When I C A Delete Task Manager shoes it running ok, not saying "not responding" or anything.