PSP Breaks Records in European Debut

According to press reports:

"Sony's PSP lived up to the hype in its opening weekend in the UK,
becoming the fastest-selling console in history with an estimated
185,000 units sold, according to ChartTrack. The figure is more than
double that achieved by Nintendo DS, which shifted 87,000 units at
launch. According to official data for the week ending September 3rd,
PSP outsold rival portable Nintendo DS by a factor of approximately 40
to one, and Game Boy Advance SP by 30 to one."

Where's Fred when you need him to call this launch another failure? :)

I didn't state that [Nintendo sales comparison]--the news story
included it.

But, yeah, I actually agree with you. Maybe the US launch should have
been delayed until there were more titles and firmware 2.0 in place.

For the record, what is your take on the Nintendo GB Micro? I really
don't think it is going to be successful at $99, but I've been known to
underestimate the devotion of Nintendo fanboys who will purchase a 2
inch screen to play Pokemon. I admit that the Micro is interesting
from a gadget perspective, but not from a gamer's perspective. No MP3,
no JPG/BMP, no MPEG files, and not even 3D games. Why not just buy an
SP with the larger screen and $20 cheaper price? I didn't get it at
E3, and I don't get it now.

"Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote in message

> "Sony's PSP lived up to the hype in its opening weekend in the UK,
> becoming the fastest-selling console in history with an estimated
> 185,000 units sold, according to ChartTrack. The figure is more than
> double that achieved by Nintendo DS, which shifted 87,000 units at
> launch.

Good launch! Makes you wonder how much better the PSP launch would have
been in the US with web and a few more games?

> According to official data for the week ending September 3rd,
> PSP outsold rival portable Nintendo DS by a factor of approximately 40
> to one, and Game Boy Advance SP by 30 to one."

Why would you even state that?

> Where's Fred when you need him to call this launch another failure? :)

Failure?

I read an interesting article on teletext that claims 8million films,
against 9million games have been sold for the PSP worldwide.

--
terry v

GT:terryfied

>I didn't state that [Nintendo sales comparison]--the news story
> included it.
>
> But, yeah, I actually agree with you. Maybe the US launch should have
> been delayed until there were more titles and firmware 2.0 in place.
>
> For the record, what is your take on the Nintendo GB Micro? I really
> don't think it is going to be successful at $99, but I've been known to
> underestimate the devotion of Nintendo fanboys who will purchase a 2
> inch screen to play Pokemon. I admit that the Micro is interesting
> from a gadget perspective, but not from a gamer's perspective. No MP3,
> no JPG/BMP, no MPEG files, and not even 3D games. Why not just buy an
> SP with the larger screen and $20 cheaper price?

Simply size. I honestly don't know how much that will affect the decisions.
If I didn't have a GBA, I don't know what I'd buy. Maybe the Micro if it
fit in the pocket really nicely. Repeat buyers, I don't know. I have a GBA
with an after burner, so I've never upgraded. Now I have a DS, so the Micro
is even farther down the list of useful.

I'm not sure they are counting on the micro to be a huge seller. Just
another offering. I guess I could see where people might want it. Probably
took no effort to create, either.

But, really, slip the micro in your pocket and you can be inconspicuous with
your gaming.

"Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com>'s wild thoughts
were released on 6 Sep 2005 07:36:32 -0700 bearing the
following fruit:

>According to press reports:
>
>"Sony's PSP lived up to the hype in its opening weekend in the UK,
>becoming the fastest-selling console in history with an estimated
>185,000 units sold, according to ChartTrack. The figure is more than
>double that achieved by Nintendo DS, which shifted 87,000 units at
>launch. According to official data for the week ending September 3rd,
>PSP outsold rival portable Nintendo DS by a factor of approximately 40
>to one, and Game Boy Advance SP by 30 to one."
>
>Where's Fred when you need him to call this launch another failure? :)

What did suprise me was that when I went into town on
Saturday there were still PSPs for sale.

I didn't buy one 'cos I got stupid bills to pay, any idea
when the next batch is expected?

Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

--
Plumber: A drain surgeon (Leopold Fechtner)

[Abolish the TV Licence - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Android66 wrote:
snip
>I admit that the Micro is interesting
> from a gadget perspective, but not from a gamer's perspective. No MP3,
> no JPG/BMP, no MPEG files, and not even 3D games.
snip

Only one of those potentially applies to a gamer's perspective, and in
many ways "why would I want it, it doesn't have 3D games" is itself the
perspective of someone who plays games but is essentially a non-gamer.

(I personally think the GBA Micro is a good idea at $20 as a keychain
fob, but not at $100.)

> I didn't state that [Nintendo sales comparison]--the news story
> included it.
>
> But, yeah, I actually agree with you. Maybe the US launch should have
> been delayed until there were more titles and firmware 2.0 in place.
>
> For the record, what is your take on the Nintendo GB Micro? I really
> don't think it is going to be successful at $99, but I've been known to
> underestimate the devotion of Nintendo fanboys who will purchase a 2
> inch screen to play Pokemon. I admit that the Micro is interesting
> from a gadget perspective, but not from a gamer's perspective. No MP3,
> no JPG/BMP, no MPEG files, and not even 3D games. Why not just buy an
> SP with the larger screen and $20 cheaper price? I didn't get it at
> E3, and I don't get it now.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b8-70-xfn.html

So it costs another 80 bucks plus shipping, but it is still less than a
PSP.

"TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
>> I didn't state that [Nintendo sales comparison]--the news story
>> included it.
>>
>> But, yeah, I actually agree with you. Maybe the US launch should have
>> been delayed until there were more titles and firmware 2.0 in place.
>>
>> For the record, what is your take on the Nintendo GB Micro? I really
>> don't think it is going to be successful at $99, but I've been known to
>> underestimate the devotion of Nintendo fanboys who will purchase a 2
>> inch screen to play Pokemon. I admit that the Micro is interesting
>> from a gadget perspective, but not from a gamer's perspective. No MP3,
>> no JPG/BMP, no MPEG files, and not even 3D games. Why not just buy an
>> SP with the larger screen and $20 cheaper price? I didn't get it at
>> E3, and I don't get it now.
>>

> http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b8-70-xfn.html
>
> So it costs another 80 bucks plus shipping, but it is still less than a
> PSP.

That assumes you want to use it as an MP3/4 player.

"Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote in message
> According to press reports:
>
> "Sony's PSP lived up to the hype in its opening weekend in the UK,
> becoming the fastest-selling console in history with an estimated
> 185,000 units sold, according to ChartTrack. The figure is more than
> double that achieved by Nintendo DS, which shifted 87,000 units at
> launch. According to official data for the week ending September 3rd,
> PSP outsold rival portable Nintendo DS by a factor of approximately 40
> to one, and Game Boy Advance SP by 30 to one."
>
> Where's Fred when you need him to call this launch another failure? :)

Wow, they probably could have topped 200,000 if they hadn't waited so darned
long and had all those grey imports.

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> "Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote in message
>
>>I didn't state that [Nintendo sales comparison]--the news story
>> included it.
>>
>> But, yeah, I actually agree with you. Maybe the US launch should have
>> been delayed until there were more titles and firmware 2.0 in place.
>>
>> For the record, what is your take on the Nintendo GB Micro? I really
>> don't think it is going to be successful at $99, but I've been known to
>> underestimate the devotion of Nintendo fanboys who will purchase a 2
>> inch screen to play Pokemon. I admit that the Micro is interesting
>> from a gadget perspective, but not from a gamer's perspective. No MP3,
>> no JPG/BMP, no MPEG files, and not even 3D games. Why not just buy an
>> SP with the larger screen and $20 cheaper price?
>
> Simply size. I honestly don't know how much that will affect the
> decisions. If I didn't have a GBA, I don't know what I'd buy. Maybe the
> Micro if it fit in the pocket really nicely. Repeat buyers, I don't know.
> I have a GBA with an after burner, so I've never upgraded. Now I have a
> DS, so the Micro is even farther down the list of useful.

Now that I have purchased a DS, there is no way on earth I would buy a
micro.

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Simply size. I honestly don't know how much that will affect the
>> decisions. If I didn't have a GBA, I don't know what I'd buy. Maybe the
>> Micro if it fit in the pocket really nicely. Repeat buyers, I don't
>> know. I have a GBA with an after burner, so I've never upgraded. Now I
>> have a DS, so the Micro is even farther down the list of useful.
>>

> Now that I have purchased a DS, there is no way on earth I would buy a
> micro.

I agree. I'm not entirely sure what the market is for it or if it exists to
any meaningful extent. Are they halting production of the SP?