Sign in with
Your question

Compatibility problem with access point and router

Last response: in Networking
February 23, 2011 6:43:06 PM

Hi. I have a weird problem with my network setup. I have a netgear DG834GT ADSL router which runs fine with my Belkin 51B64C wireless router but when I enable "Use as Access Point" in order for me to see my wireless laptops connected to it the internet performance goes bad, the traffic cuts out momentarily for about 7 seconds at a time, its pretty difficult to surf the net having to wait.

The setup is as follows:

Netgear
Gateway IP: 10.0.0.1
Subnet Msk: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Enabled

Belkin
Gateway IP: 10.0.0.9
Subnet Msk: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Enabled

Any help on why the performance drops greatfuly appreciated, as I said above the reason I enable "Use As Access Point" is so I can see the devices in Explorer for file sharing. Is there a way I can use port forwarding on the router to see the devices it would solve the performance problem.

Thanks in advance!
February 23, 2011 9:50:44 PM

I have a belkin router that I use in access point mode. Its a different model, but I'm sure that things are similar.

When you put the belkin into access point mode there should be no options for DHCP or any of the other firewall settings. Just the wireless security settings.

After you put the belkin into access point mode, all its going to do for you is connect any wireless clients to the wired LAN.

IF you are trying to use it without being in access point mode, the two DHCP servers will conflict with each other and your computers won't be able to connect to anything. Leave the belkin setup in access point mode, and use the netgear to control the network.
February 23, 2011 10:02:09 PM

someone19 said:
I have a belkin router that I use in access point mode. Its a different model, but I'm sure that things are similar.

When you put the belkin into access point mode there should be no options for DHCP or any of the other firewall settings. Just the wireless security settings.

After you put the belkin into access point mode, all its going to do for you is connect any wireless clients to the wired LAN.

IF you are trying to use it without being in access point mode, the two DHCP servers will conflict with each other and your computers won't be able to connect to anything. Leave the belkin setup in access point mode, and use the netgear to control the network.

Just this minute tested a theory, I put the eithernet cable to my router into a standard 1 - 4 port on the belkin and disabled the "access point" option, my pc can now see the devices on belkin and of course no connectivity issues.

I take it I wasnt supposed to have the adsl router connected to the yellow internet port on the belkin
Related resources
February 23, 2011 10:17:14 PM

Not when the belkin is in access point mode.

Your network should be like this:

modem -> netgear's WAN port

netgear switch (any other port) -> belkin switch (any port other than the yellow one)

Computers connected to the switch ports of the netgear and belkin.

Now the belkin should be in access point mode, and wireless computers setup to connect to it.
February 23, 2011 10:32:32 PM

someone19 said:
Not when the belkin is in access point mode.

Your network should be like this:

modem -> netgear's WAN port

netgear switch (any other port) -> belkin switch (any port other than the yellow one)

Computers connected to the switch ports of the netgear and belkin.

Now the belkin should be in access point mode, and wireless computers setup to connect to it.

I've got the belkin "access point mode" disabled and have all the wired connections attached to it, the adsl router is also connected to a spare 1-4 ethernet port and have internet access from it, there's nothing in the yellow one, if I connect the adsl to the yellow one my devices connected to the belkin get belkins own IP addresses, the ADSL DHCP is managing all my belkin ip addresses for me :bounce: 
February 23, 2011 10:41:46 PM

Sorry, just looked up what your netgear was. You still want to have the belkin setup to be in access mode. You will eventually have network stability problems since you have two DHCP servers. You can also connect computers to the netgear ports too.

The netgear combines a modem with a router, so you aren't getting DHCP from the ADSL, its coming from the netgear itself.

The network will appear to work as you have it setup now, but if a computer asks for a lease and gets one from the belkin your network will grind to a halt. Put the belkin into access point mode with everything hooked up the way you have it now and verify its stable.
February 23, 2011 10:59:12 PM

someone19 said:
Sorry, just looked up what your netgear was. You still want to have the belkin setup to be in access mode. You will eventually have network stability problems since you have two DHCP servers. You can also connect computers to the netgear ports too.

The netgear combines a modem with a router, so you aren't getting DHCP from the ADSL, its coming from the netgear itself.

The network will appear to work as you have it setup now, but if a computer asks for a lease and gets one from the belkin your network will grind to a halt. Put the belkin into access point mode with everything hooked up the way you have it now and verify its stable.

Ok I'll try that tomorrow it's 1am now lol

Cheers
February 23, 2011 11:07:51 PM

Agreed.
February 24, 2011 10:27:32 AM

someone19 said:
Agreed.

Well, spent an hour messing about with this belkin (notice I didnt give it a capital B)

I confirm that with belkin DHCP and access point mode disabled and yellow port empty everything works fine and I can see devices for file sharing on it.

If I enable access point (AP) mode the netgear adsl router goes wild and drops connection and all sorts same as before. My belkin devices IPs are managed by the netgear adsl successfully, and tracert doesn't seem to show any signs of the belkin, I cant even ping or connect to the internal setup for it once DHCP is disabled.

But everything seems ok now, except its not in AP mode I think unless there are serious security issues I have overlooked with this I'm gona leave well enough alone

Thanks for your help!
February 24, 2011 11:54:30 PM

cheers mate
March 11, 2011 1:30:03 AM

Also, follow my instructions very carefully, post any problems you have on that thread
March 28, 2011 2:42:09 PM

Hi.. also also have the same problem... but i think i have BIGGER..

already established a connection with my Belkin -n SURF, then the time i enable the "access point mode" on, i lost my connection, then since i have no connection, i cant unable the AP mode anymore,..

i read all your threads but im dont understand any of those things, im not really good in networking..

thanks for help.. please be simple with the words/terms, i might not understand it.. thanks in advance!
March 28, 2011 2:58:10 PM

Ok, gimme a day to summarize it to non-jargon for you.
See you soon
Axxeon
March 29, 2011 12:44:48 PM

ok i'll wait! thanks!!
March 29, 2011 2:41:58 PM

I'm really short for time at the moment (Year 12), so in the mean time until when I get around to it, please do read the Cascading router(LAN to LAN) sections and dot point what you don't understand.

Thanks!!
!