Integrated Video Going Bad? Can I get a PCI Graphics Card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

benaford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I own an HP Pavilion a1240n, and it was working great until the other night when I decided to clean it out. Using my air compressor and some low pressure air, I blew some dust out of the case and off of the components and then replaced the cover and returned it to my desk. When I went to power it on, I recieved this black fuzzy screen:
IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Thinking it was a fluke, I unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in - same thing. Restarted the computer several times, replaced monitor cables, replaced monitors, everything I could think of and still the same black fuzzy screen.

I'm thinking that something I did while cleaning fouled up the Integrated Video Card - that is the only thing that makes sense. I've inspected it for damage as much as possible with it being so hard to get to, but it looks fine. Any ideas?

If it is blown, is there a video card that will fit in my PCI slots? From what I can tell I have a PCI Classic Regular slot - can someone confirm this? Here is what I have:
IMG_0459.jpg

Now, I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money, but it would be nice if I could find a video card with decent performance so that I can run dual monitors, possibly do some gaming (COD MW1) etc. I would appreciate some recommendations on a budget card that would fit that bill.

Solution
Actually their are a lot more symptoms then just a black screen if the RAM isn't working properly.

You should try removing the new RAM stick(s).
Decent performance via a PCI VGA card and MW1 ? with your P4 machine, i guess this is really hard, as it's hard to find a PCI GFX, Try removing the RAM and cleaning it with any dry cleaner also make sure there's no nails or metal pins that's touching your PCB.

Anyhow, i guess it's time to upgrade. :D

Yah I also suggest upgrading.But if you can't or you'd rather not this card should work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161353

Even though it is the lowest card offered from the 5xxx series it is still much much faster than the intergrated GPU.I just don't understand why it is so expensive.I think it has something to do with the PCI slot.

Or their is the option of the GT430,which is much faster than the 5450.Just note that you will have to upgrade your PSU if you decide to go with the GT430.

benaford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Please do not buy anything ever from BestBuy in terms of computer components. Not saying they are not good, its just that they are more expensive then what you could get on a different online source.

Answering the question, I have no clue what video cards can still run PCI anymore, yet the suggestion by tinmann will do you well and is probably the best PCI card I have seen.

benaford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
That really sucks. I was hoping to get out of this mess without spending a bunch of money - the computer itself was given to me, and It's definitely not a performance machine. I'm not sure if it's worth spending $100+ on.

Anyone have any idea how the integrated piece went out like that? No problems before, blew some air across it and then it goes out... doesn't make much sense to me.

Well if you used a high powered air compressor it's possible you may have damage it that way.Theirs hundreds of tiny fragile parts on a motherboard and the force of that much air may have damaged it.Although it might even have been caused by ESD.Who knows.

Honestly I have no idea why PCI cards are priced so high.Theirs no reason they should be.The PCI slot doesn't even serve a purpose on modern motherboards and i'm sure is going to be outlawed in the next year.

benaford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
It's possible. I did add some RAM right before cleaning (completely forgot that until you mentioned it) so it might be worth a try. My experience with RAM has been all or nothing - if there's an issue you just get a black screen. That's why I never thought of checking RAM. I'll give it a shot tonight. Crazier things have happened.

That's not RAM. RAM malfunction would cause fatal errors, not image corruption. You probably do have a bad VGA, or maybe a bad VGA cable. Try another cable/mointor if possible, if not give it a few pushes and twists and see if it makes a difference.

benaford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I've tried different cables, different monitors, pushing, pulling, wiggling, barely inserting plug, pushing the plug in with plenty of force - nothing makes any difference on the screen. The only difference you will see is a RED/BLUE/GREEN tint as different pins disconnect, but no change in the pattern on the screen.

benaford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Wonder of wonders... I reset the RAM to the original configuration and it booted right up. Who knew? The extra RAM came from another computer that died in a lightning strike Wonder of wonders... I reset the RA...rum/311212-28-power-lightning-strike#t2340677

I'm not sure that they aren't messed up from that. Or it could be that they are just incompatible.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave advice - it's nice to fix something without having to spend anything at all.

Gracias-

Status
Not open for further replies.