stanley1943

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hello,
I just installed a second graphic card (nvidia 560) in addition to my nvidia 9500gs. My power supply is 650Watts. I tried to play battlefield 3 and everthing went smoothly; however, when the first team mission battle starts, my entire computer crashed. No blue screen or anything. Its like a power outage. Now, i am going to try it the second time, but i am currently worried sick. Dont really want to spend another 100 bucks on psu.

Specs. are here:
Intel i7 950 3.0ghz
nvidia 560 and 9500gs
20GB ram
7 fans....
dual screen

Now, i seriously hope it is not the powersupply that causes the crash...but i really need a second opinion.

stanley1943

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Yea, i just did....nvidia 560 worked perfectly with dual screen by itself. Do you think it is the issue with compatibility of 9500 gs and nvidia 560 or it might be the power supply?

Compatibility, you could also try setting the 9500gs to do the physx calculations.

stanley1943

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
The power supply is a generic one...which might be the reason for the crash. And, i have no idea how to do physx calculation, but i'll find out tmr and try it out.

I just want to say thanks...these comments are very very very helpful

open up nvidia control panel, and set physx to 9500gs.

keith2468

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Try installing the GeForce 275.33 WHQL Driver and see if the problem still occurs.

There is a problem, posted about in many places, of people having the exact problem you describe with the drivers after that, including the WHQL Drivers after that. Although usually the discussion is about the crash being triggered by Firefox.

- If this fixes it you know the problem is drivers and won't be fixed with a new power supply or anything else hardware related (other than switching video card vendors).

- If you still get the crashes the problem is something else and you can move on to trying other things.

NVidia is apparently not investigating because it says it can be fixed with a clean install. But (a) It can't. (b) A clean install in W-7 requires getting rid of all your restore points and that is too risky.

General Rule 1: A vendor recommending a clean install is a vendor admitting a bug in his install script.

General Rule 2: A vendor recommending a special procedure to remove his program or drivers is a vendor admitting his standard uninstall has bugs.

General Rule 3: A vendor with software problems that do not go away is a vendor with problems whose root cause is management and a real fix involves fixing management. Installing new drivers in the executive board is the appropriate first action. If that doesn't work, install new drivers on the board of directors are the next step.