Sign in with
Your question

Modding Antec Three Hundred for larger video card.

Last response: in Components
May 22, 2012 1:38:51 AM

Hey everyone.

I have an Antec Three Hundred but I'm interested in buying a GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670, which is said to be 11.2" long. From what it looks like, the inside of the Antec Three Hundred case will only accommodate an 11" card.

http://es.gigabyte.com/media/8982

The card looks like it is 11.2" long because of the Windforce housing... so, what I'm thinking is just taking my grinder and notching out one of the drive bays, if needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - You can find a picture of the inside of the case, there.

Anyways, if I needed to get an extra 1" of space or something, is it advisable to not do this? I would remove all the components, take the case to the garage and use a metal grinder (or metal blade on the recip saw) to cut the metal, and then I'd file the edges smooth.

Thoughts?
a c 130 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 2:01:56 AM

Welcome to the world of modding... I will offer here that your initial cut will be the scariest - after that, it almost becomes addictive (or is that just me?)
It will of course void any warranty you may still have on the case - hehe - but there is no structural reason not to do it.
Just want to emphisize the need to clean your shavings out real well afterward.
Enjoy
m
l
May 22, 2012 5:22:01 AM

I think a lot of people have had to do this at one time or another, I usually see if I can remove HDD bays by knocking out the rivets though I've hacked into some optical bays with a dremel before to. Make sure to do a decent job filing the edges, nothing worse then leaving a sharp edge then cutting your hand trying to mount your graphics card. Also as Friedman said, make sure you clean out the case afterwards, don't wanna short something out by being sloppy.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 6:00:57 AM

**Welcome to the world of modding... I will offer here that your initial cut will be the scariest - after that, it almost becomes addictive (or is that just me?)**

nope, meth addicts are currently undergoing modding therapy as we type :p 

@Op, drill rivets out with a 3-4mm drillbit, use pliers to grab any tricksy ones from behind, dremel/hacksaw/angle grind out the required section and replace the remains,
you can use optic drive screws to hold it in place if you didn't mangle the holes too badly
tidy cuts as mentioned and then vacuum the empty case out, turn ity upside down, wpie with wet cloth, the whole 9, you do not want scurf/ metal particles in there at all
Another option is to trim the offending inch or so off the shroud of the card, but for resale purposes I wouldn't advise that route unless you are going to W/c it later and sell as a watercooled card
Moto

m
l
!