Chris Keegan of Climax totally HYPES Playstation3

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

the source for this interview was PSM or PSM2

Chris Keegan Chris Keegan - Technical Director, Climax

Ok. You're making a top secret PS3 game right now. How much better is PS3
than PS2?

Put it this way, had PS3 existed in 1998 it would have been the most
powerful super-computer in the world. PS2, in comparison, has never been
higher than the top 30. PS3 is roughly 250 times more powerful in raw
processing terms than PS2. And that's not including the power of the RSX.

So games will be that much better then?

It's not quite that simple, I'm afraid. With the extra computing horse-power
comes a not insubstantial downside, namely that writing code efficient
enough to take advantage of it has become an order of magnitude. It requires
programming skills that only the very best developers have, and they're kept
locked away in dark dungeons. Fortunately Climax maintains a bank of
genetically engineered uber-coders, awaiting the dawn of just such an era of
games development.

What will the new machine allow you to do that you couldn't of doing on PS2?

We're talking about more physics, more characters, more detail, more
gorgeous graphics. Much more expansive worlds filled with detail and,
importantly, things to drive your car into and shoot and bound up and over.

So that means I have to buy a new TV to get the most out of PS3?

You can probably get away with only onebut I tell you, this dual HDMI
interface is a bit of all right, fully digital signal all the way to your
plasma or projector is a beatiful thing. Crisp, colourful, high contrast -
black will finally be black, not some cloudy grey. Beautiful. Well worth the
investment.

The Cell processor runs at 3.2Ghz. My PC is faster than that, so why is the
Cell such a big deal?

These days, even Intel has stopped shouting about the clock speed of their
processors. It's now fairly well recognized fact that it's not clocks, but
what you do with them. And in the case of the processor you have nine
processors working at the same time counting up FLOPS, and eight of them are
hardcore fast processors designed for delivering hardcore math-intensive
features like rendering and physics.

Tell us about RSX. What does it do?

That's the kick-ass poly-pusher. It's your GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI'ed badboy
plus a hefty bit on the side. RSX is what's going to blow you all away - you
thought those movies at E3 looked good? You wait!

And what's a Teraflop anyway?

FLOPS are really, really boring but lots of them equal great games. A FLOP
is a floating point operation - basically an operation which adds,
subtracts, multiplies or divides two numbers. A KiloFLOP is a thousand such
operations, a MegaFLOP is a million, a Giga Flop is a billion (PS2 had
roughly seven of them) and a TeraFLOP is a gazillion (or a trillion - 1 with
12 zeroes).

So what are 'shaders' and multi-way programmable parallel floating point
shader pipelines?

Shaders are boring, but remember those programmers that Climax keep secreted
away in dungeons? Well those guys love shaders. Shaders are short programs
that describe the properties of surfaces, they make things shiny or matt and
definethe way they interact with light sources. The goal of us as developers
is to put the artists in control of powerful shaders so that they can create
stunning and creative artwork. That multi-other 'parallel obfuscating widget'
thing gives you an indication that there's a lot going on at once and that
it's very flexible. Which means prettier games.

Why seven controllers?

That's an odd number. It is indeed an odd number. But the answer is another
boring one, I'm afraid. The wireless controllers use Bluetooth and there is
a limitation in that standard that means only seven slave devices can be
active at any one time. Hence seven controllers.

If they're wireless, won't I disturb a game on my next-door-neighbors PS3?

Because the PS3 uses Bluetooth, rather than Wi-Fi, there won't be any
problems with clashing with other PS3 devices. Bluetooth operates in a
number of different modes but I'd imagine Sony would use a low-power mode,
which would provide enough range for a typical living room use but not
enough to send the signal through into next door.

And the PSP connectivity - does this mean I'll be able to stream video from
my PS3 over 8o2.11 on my PSP?

That's certainly possible given the PSP's support for 8o2.11b, which should
be capable of delivering video suitable for the PSP's resolution. It's
clearly Sony's intention to provide this sort of functionality for the PS3
and PSP.

Sony have been blabbing about 'photo realism' for years. Are the graphics of
PS3 finally there?

We're getting closer certainly, but I'd stop and ask the question: Is
photo-realism really what we're aiming for? I want to see the same
creativity in games' visual style as we see in films. Look at Sin City and
you begin to realize that the quest for photo-realism is a throwback to the
days when the hardcore technologists ruled the roost.

Making PS3 games - easy or just a bit scary?

Making PS3 games is going to be a massive challenge that will break many
small developers but at the same time this is an exciting time to be in the
games industry and creating games to make jaws drop. Who wouldn't call that
their dream job? - Technical Director, Climax

[...]

interesting interview, except for the utter bullshit about supercomputers.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

>Making PS3 games is going to be a massive challenge that will break many
>small developers

Hmmmmm, not good, not good at all. Less developers, less innovation, less
variety, less competition, higer prices and more shitty games. Thanks
SONY!!!

carrajo wrote:
>>Making PS3 games is going to be a massive challenge that will break many
>>small developers
>

> Hmmmmm, not good, not good at all. Less developers, less innovation, less
> variety, less competition, higer prices and more shitty games. Thanks
> SONY!!!

just because this was stated in an article referring to PS3, does not
mean Sony are the only ones responsible.

anyway, for my tuppence worth, whats the odds on climax going bust in
the next couple of years ;)

carrajo wrote:
>>Making PS3 games is going to be a massive challenge that will break many
>>small developers

That statement actually makes no sense.
The more power you have at your disposal the sloppier you can be with
your code.

I think making massive and top notch games might break a small developer
but making an average joe game isn't going to do anything but be easier
for a developer.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

this guy is a huge nerd and works for a company called 'climax'

right.

"knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message

> nam75 wrote:
> > the source for this interview was PSM or PSM2

> > Chris Keegan Chris Keegan - Technical Director, Climax
> >
> > Ok. You're making a top secret PS3 game right now. How much better is PS3
> > than PS2?
>
> Yawn. So much bullshit his eyes were turning brown.

Nice line. But some people's eyes actually are brown.

HTH.

-P

Mike

Splendid

"Pessimist" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:dfn9vs$rlp$1@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi...

> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> nam75 wrote:
>> > the source for this interview was PSM or PSM2
>> >

>> > ____________________________________________________
>> > Chris Keegan Chris Keegan - Technical Director, Climax
>> >
>> > Ok. You're making a top secret PS3 game right now. How much better is
>> > PS3
>> > than PS2?
>>
>> Yawn. So much bullshit his eyes were turning brown.
>
> Nice line. But some people's eyes actually are brown.
>
> HTH.
>
> -P

I liked my line better. They haven't yet disclosed plans for a yellow
speckled, brown PS3