Maxtor 40.9 gb ATA100

G

The Bios is not detecting my hard drive when I plug in the ATA100 connector, is just seeing it when I plug in the ATA66 connector...

I have a Abit Kt7-Raid motherboard that support ATA100.

Should I remove the jumpers on my hard drive or I have to leave it master like I'm doing now with the ata66 connector.??

I have only one hard drive and I have a DVD rom that I plug in the secondary IDE channel.

Help me!

thanks!

p.s Sorry for my english, I'm not very good.

G

I try what you said with fdisk,
and the program says: No fixed disks present.

I think if I'm unable to see the disk in the Bios, I won't be able to see it with fdisk?

Am I right?

thanks for your reply...

G

Are you referring to the IDE cable being used to connect your drive to the IDE port on the motherboard? If so, try a new ATA100 cable. You could have faulty wiring within the cable.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Try the drive on the regular controllers on the Motherboard instead of the RAID controller. If it still doesn't see the drives I would do what he said and check the cable and the jumpers on the hard drive.

Lars Coleman

G

My drive is working fine on the IDE Channel 1 running at ATA66. My jumpers are set for master. I use the same cable when I plug it in the ATA100 connector but the BIOS doesn't see it. So it's not the cable the problem, no?

G

If the sys doesent auto detect the hdd you can put the specs in manually in the cmos, see if you can do that

G

I try it and it doesn't work more,

do you think it's really faster in ATA100 than ATA66, because if it's not a big difference, I will stop to try all these things.??

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good lord nothing like peope that know nothing offering advice. You need to install the ata 100 drivers for the abit board first to be able to use it. If all else fails read the manual.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

The drivers are already installed and they are for the drive to work fine in Windows, it has nothing to do with the auto detection of the BIOS...

good lord!