Sign in with
Your question

Cyclos technology = Bad overclocks??

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 2:08:58 AM

Cyclos technology = Bad overclocks??

Well, basically this cyclos stuff aims at creating an LC tank circuit oscillator throughout the chip to save energy.

However, an LC oscillator will resonate ONLY at one frequency, and the chip will be the most energy efficient at that particular frequency.

Now, Power=c*f*v^2, so going lower than the resonant freq should not be much of an issue. On the other hand, pushing higher that the resonant freq would lead to sudden dramatic increase in power consumption....would it not?!!

Lets say AMD designs the Vishera chips to resonate at 4.4Ghz, wouldn't there be a horrendous increase in power consumption, even trying to push it past a mild OC like 4.8GHz???
Is it right to justify that the Vishera chips will be bad overclockers in terms of excessive heat/power draw??

PS:- Another implication of this, is that if the same AMD Mobile trinity dies are launched as desktop trinity chips, then going from 35W to 100W (~3x increase) will barely allow for a 60% increase in clock speeds?!!
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 5:14:32 PM

well....any electronics engineers or vlsi designer here who can verify this???
I really think this could be a major issue for AMD.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 7:06:00 PM

Ummm... this is normal. As you increase frequency, you need ever increasing amounts of power [voltage] to keep the chip stable, reducing efficiency.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2012 1:41:06 AM

gamerk316 said:
Ummm... this is normal. As you increase frequency, you need ever increasing amounts of power [voltage] to keep the chip stable, reducing efficiency.

dude!!! u completely missed the point:)  i'm talking about a much more drastic increase in power than normal, its something to do with resonance, and the resonant frequency....anyway forget it!!! cheers :) 

PS:- maybe i shall bring this thread back when Tomshardware 'discovers' an issue with the Vishera chips in September:)  lol...just kidding :) 
m
l
!