Computer randomly reboots

Hello,

So I have been having some issues with my computer for the last few weeks and I just can not figure out what it is.

I first built my computer back in September and it ran great, never crashed at all. Only had a few problems when playing games like Battlefield 3 or Crysis.

Now it could be 30 seconds or 5 days then my machine will restart.

No error's are getting written to the event log, and I have turned off automatically restart to see the blue screen error message, but that hasn't helped, the blue screen never appears. The option also keeps resetting itself to automatically restart.

When I first built my computer I made a system image of it, and restored my machine to this image 2 weeks ago. The problem has followed me though.

At first I thought it was because my CPU was overheating because when i went into the bios my temperature was up around mid 60's(Celsius) and when I took my heat sink off the thermal past was hard almost. I reapplied new thermal paste and the CPU temperature is great now, low 30's, but my machine still resets.

My build is as follows:

Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Intel i7 2600k
eVGA GeForce GTX 570 SuperClocked
16gb ram (mushkin stilletto)
Western Digital 750GB Caviar Black
Corsair Gaming Series GS 700W Power Supply
Windows 7 64-bit Professional

Any help would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks a lot!
18 answers Last reply
More about computer randomly reboots
  1. What speed is your RAM running? If not 1333 MHz, try 1333 and see what happens.
  2. By resets I think, you mean, the BIOS goes to it's default values after a reboot, the random reboots right?
    If that is the case, first replace the CMOS battery. Also need you to remove the sticks of RAM and clean them up with paint brush (Water Color kind ) and a little Isopropyl if you can, make sure no dust has accumulated in the RAM slots. Use a can of compressed air if you have to. Also make sure the the PSU is not clogged with dust and grit.
    That should be a start.
  3. How do I adjust the speed that the RAM is running at? My ASUS diagnostic program is telling me it is running anywhere between 400-600 mhz. I will also try cleaning the RAM. I'll post back with the results.
  4. Absolutely a hardware issue. Glad you got the cpu addressed. As others have stated it could be the ram. If cleaning/replacing them doesn't do it then it may be the chipset or capacitor, i.e. the mobo is going. Hope you can resolve it easily. Best of luck.
  5. So I changed the memory to run at 1333mhz and the computer still restarts. I'm going to try cleaning the memory next and if that doesn't work maybe get some new RAM.

And by resets I mean the option to turn off automatically reboot on system error turns back on.
  6. Yup, it's good thing you ordered the board. I think your problems will disappear once you get that new board running properly. Sorry.
  7. Well I took the memory out and cleaned em up and there was junk in the DIMM slots. I'm still not sure what it was, almost looked like a orange food crumb. I have no idea how that could end up in there.

Anyway I cleaned them out but that didn't see to help. Computer reset 2 times even before the windows 7 logo appeared after I turned it on again.

Once I got the machine started I downloaded Memtest42 (I think it's called that) and I am currently running the memory test. So far it has found 5 errors. I thinking that is not good.
  8. Yeah, that is not good :(
  9. But IMO, give it a little while till we come to conclude some other issue...
    Let the RAM set into the slot like Jelly Sets in a fridge... give it time... let it get a little hot, god know what sort of coating must have covered the mem slot contacts by now due to the food like residue you found there.
    Give it a little time to really break any deposits that may have been formed there....
  10. Well I have switched out the RAM that I had and it seems to be fine now. Havn't had any random reboots since. I'll have to see if I can warranty the RAM i bought, or just buy new stuff. Not sure if I want to take all that time to try and figure out which one is broken. Maybe all 4 sticks are I don't know.

Thanks for the help though everyone.
  11. b0b0oo7 said:
    Well I have switched out the RAM that I had and it seems to be fine now. Havn't had any random reboots since. I'll have to see if I can warranty the RAM i bought, or just buy new stuff. Not sure if I want to take all that time to try and figure out which one is broken. Maybe all 4 sticks are I don't know.

Thanks for the help though everyone.

Don't want to take the time? It only takes a few minutes. Really the time is dependent on how long it takes for your machine to boot up. Stick each ram in one at a time and boot the machine. The bad one will most likely give you issues right away.
  12. Yea good point. I'm going to run memtest86 on them 1 at a time as well. See what happens.
  13. now the VGA_LED is on and wont post. FFS
  14. Okay? So what did you discover on the mem test? What different has happened? Backtrack all steps from then to now, perhaps the answer lies in something happened from then to now.
  15. SOrry about the delay. I tested the memory one at a time and only one came up with errors.

Computers seemed to be running fine with the one piece removed. It didn't restart at all.

However I now had to send my MB to ASUS because I switched my hard drive to ATA from ACHI and my MB tanked and computer wouldn't boot anymore.
  16. Wouldn't boot? means no POST altogether or would not boot from the HDD?
  17. Yeah, on my motherboard there is a VGA_LED light and it would stay on no matter what I did and no video would show on my screen.

I contacted ASUS and they told me to send it in after I tried a whole bunch of "fixes".
  18. So you're waiting for an RMA now? If they send you a new Mobo, then you're not going to have any problems I think, but you will need to test the RAMs again in the new mobo again to confirm that the one we feel is bad is actually bad. And then RMA the RAMs too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems