Will win 7 64 allow 2 nvidia 6200 video cardsun

dagermedia

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I am trying to run 2 Nvidia 6200 video cards both of which support dual monitors, how ever thus far I cant get windows to boot with both cards installed without blue screening. My system board is an Arima SW350 running 2 dual cor Opteron 275's with 16 gb of ECC 400 DDR RAM and an RME HDSP-9652. Its the main workstation in my 24track re. The system runs about the same with either card mounted. one is PCI format and the other is PCIe. This did not effect their performance before when the two were mounted on another board. They ran well in concert in vista 32bit environment. To have the resources I needed to run an aray of software pluging I ended up moving to the 64 bit environment to utilize the advanced RAM structure available in a 64bit high availability platform. I need to know if my efforts are going to be in vain or it this has been achieved before. The PCIE Card is running on a rizer that boasts a 1x to 16x conversion. The mobo slots are only 8x but I was unable to find an 8x to 16x converter. As I sad it will run on this card alone. I have upgraded to the latest driver and to no avail. Would I be better off using 2 usb to vga or dvi converters for monitors 3 and 4? I am not so worried about 3D performance it just has to run Sonar or Adobe Audition.

Visually frustrated!
:eek:

dagermedia

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
jaguarskx,

Thanks I will have to check which software update I did last. I attempted to simply add the PCIe card to the system and the system reported that no drivers were loaded for the second card despite the initial search and claim by the system that new hardware had been found and installed. So I saw on another blog a suggestion about uninstalling and re-installing the driver when both cards are installed. So I tried that and unfortunately on reboot, I got a blue screen until I removed one of the cards. This by the way was with what reported to be the most recent driver on the nVidia site. I will check to make sure that the driver you suggested was the one I tried if not I will give it a go. Thanks again! I will get back to you once I have had the opportunity to check this out.

All the best,

dagermedia

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
It looks like it simply won't work! It will only recognize one card at a time. I purchased 2 USB video devices for monitors 3 and 4. I tried all the latest drivers to no avail. I had heard that nividea blocks other card with their driver. Even their own. IN Vista 32 you could run 2 identical cards so long as they used the same driver but in win7 it only seems to work with the USB devices because they use some very different thecnology and a driver that is designed to work in spite of the existing cards.