how do I restore changes to File Type

I have XP Pro.

I was trying to add "command" to the list of actions when
I right click on a folder in the left pane of windows
explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on any
folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with the
command line already pointing to the directory I was in.

A was told to follow these step:
1. From window explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File
Types
2. Select "(NONE) File Folder" and clicked on the
Advanced button.
3. Clicked on New button.
4. Under "Action" I put "command".
5. Under "Application used to perform action" I navigated
to Windows\system32\cmd.exe

When I opened window explorer and click on the left pane
file tree structure and right clicked a folder, it worked.

BUT when I attempt to left click any folder or file on
the right pane, it trys to open a commad box instead of
exploring the folder/file.

I went back into File Types, but Edit and Remove are
disabled. How do I restore my file type so that when I
left click in the right pane of windows explore on a
folder/file, it will explore the folder/file instead of
trying to open a command box.

This is very important that it gets restored, please help!

What's so important about it? Will it free the Palestinians?

There a bug in the dialog. Each time you use it on File folder or Drive you need to type in Start Run
regsvr32 /i shell32

http://www.uscricket.com
"Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:436e01c49f8b$f58dfbd0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>I have XP Pro.
>
> I was trying to add "command" to the list of actions when
> I right click on a folder in the left pane of windows
> explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on any
> folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with the
> command line already pointing to the directory I was in.
>
> A was told to follow these step:
> 1. From window explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File
> Types
> 2. Select "(NONE) File Folder" and clicked on the
> Advanced button.
> 3. Clicked on New button.
> 4. Under "Action" I put "command".
> 5. Under "Application used to perform action" I navigated
> to Windows\system32\cmd.exe
>
> When I opened window explorer and click on the left pane
> file tree structure and right clicked a folder, it worked.
>
> BUT when I attempt to left click any folder or file on
> the right pane, it trys to open a commad box instead of
> exploring the folder/file.
>
> I went back into File Types, but Edit and Remove are
> disabled. How do I restore my file type so that when I
> left click in the right pane of windows explore on a
> folder/file, it will explore the folder/file instead of
> trying to open a command box.
>
> This is very important that it gets restored, please help!

Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't edit
the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in the
right click menu.

-
>http://www.uscricket.com
>"Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
message news:436e01c49f8b$f58dfbd0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>>I have XP Pro.
>>
>> I was trying to add "command" to the list of actions
when
>> I right click on a folder in the left pane of windows
>> explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on any
>> folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with the
>> command line already pointing to the directory I was
in.

>> A was told to follow these step:
>> 1. From window explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File
>> Types
>> 2. Select "(NONE) File Folder" and clicked on the
>> Advanced button.
>> 3. Clicked on New button.
>> 4. Under "Action" I put "command".
>> 5. Under "Application used to perform action" I
navigated
>> to Windows\system32\cmd.exe
>>
>> When I opened window explorer and click on the left
pane
>> file tree structure and right clicked a folder, it
worked.

>> BUT when I attempt to left click any folder or file on
>> the right pane, it trys to open a commad box instead
of
>> exploring the folder/file.
>>
>> I went back into File Types, but Edit and Remove are
>> disabled. How do I restore my file type so that when
>> left click in the right pane of windows explore on a
>> folder/file, it will explore the folder/file instead
of
>> trying to open a command box.
>>
>> This is very important that it gets restored, please
help!

>.

Andrés,

Try deleting from the registry directly: The options will be present under:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

-
>http://www.uscricket.com
>"Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
message news:436e01c49f8b$f58dfbd0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>>I have XP Pro.
>>
>> I was trying to add "command" to the list of actions
when
>> I right click on a folder in the left pane of windows
>> explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on any
>> folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with the
>> command line already pointing to the directory I was
in.

>> A was told to follow these step:
>> 1. From window explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File
>> Types
>> 2. Select "(NONE) File Folder" and clicked on the
>> Advanced button.
>> 3. Clicked on New button.
>> 4. Under "Action" I put "command".
>> 5. Under "Application used to perform action" I
navigated
>> to Windows\system32\cmd.exe
>>
>> When I opened window explorer and click on the left
pane
>> file tree structure and right clicked a folder, it
worked.

>> BUT when I attempt to left click any folder or file on
>> the right pane, it trys to open a commad box instead
of
>> exploring the folder/file.
>>
>> I went back into File Types, but Edit and Remove are
>> disabled. How do I restore my file type so that when
>> left click in the right pane of windows explore on a
>> folder/file, it will explore the folder/file instead
of
>> trying to open a command box.
>>
>> This is very important that it gets restored, please
help!

>.

But it's not the addition that is causing the problem. It is a bug in that dialog that whenever it edits file folders or drives it writes a windows 95/98 entry instead of a windows xp entry. The entries changed in a minor way and you get wierd behaviour. The solution is not to use the dialog, of if you do to type that command afterwards. It writes the winxp entry.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%2346UJT5nEHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Andrés,
>
> Try deleting from the registry directly: The options will be present under:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't edit
> the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
> remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in the
> right click menu.

Hi David,

Looks like the regsvr32 /i shell32 has worked (as always), was just trying
to guide Andrés on removing the extra items.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
But it's not the addition that is causing the problem. It is a bug in that
dialog that whenever it edits file folders or drives it writes a windows
95/98 entry instead of a windows xp entry. The entries changed in a minor
way and you get wierd behaviour. The solution is not to use the dialog, of
if you do to type that command afterwards. It writes the winxp entry.

http://www.uscricket.com
> Andrés,
>
> Try deleting from the registry directly: The options will be present
> under:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't edit
> the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
> remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in the
> right click menu.

Thanks David the probem was fixed using how you
suggested. I want to remove the extra items... Ramesh, I
navigated to the directory... what exactly am I suppose
to change there? I don't see anything familiar.

-
>http://www.uscricket.com
>"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote
in message
>> Andrés,
>>
>> Try deleting from the registry directly: The options
will be present
>> under:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>

>> "Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
message
>> Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't
edit
>> the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
>> remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in
the
>> right click menu.

Right-click the key and choose Export. Post the contents here.

"Find" is present by default, don't remove it.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

-
>http://www.uscricket.com
>"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote
in message
>> Andrés,
>>
>> Try deleting from the registry directly: The options
will be present
>> under:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>

>> "Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
message
>> Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't
edit
>> the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
>> remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in
the
>> right click menu.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find]
"SuppressionPolicy"=dword:00000080

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\command]
@=hex
(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,
6f,00,74,00,25,\

00,5c,00,45,00,78,00,70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,72,00,2
e,00,65,00,78,00,\
65,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec]
@="[FindFolder(\"%l\", %I)]"
"NoActivateHandler"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec\applicatio
n]
@="Folders"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec\topic]
@="AppProperties"

-

-
>--
>>> -
>>> message news:436e01c49f8b$f58dfbd0$a401280a@phx.gbl...

>>> when
windows
>>> in.

>File
>>> navigated

>>> pane
>>> worked.

>on
>>> of

when
>>> of

>>> help!

>>.
>>

>.

any ideas?

-

-
>-
>>--
in
$a401280a@phx.gbl...

actions
>windows
any
the
was

>>File

>>on
instead

are
>when
instead

please

>>>.
>>>

>>.
>>
>.

kelly

"I was trying to add "command" to the list of
actions when I right click on a folder in the left pane of
windows explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on
any folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with
the command line already pointing to the directory I
was in."

Add Command Line to the right click (Line 26)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here]
@="Command &Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here\command]
@="cmd.exe /k cd %1 "

--
All the Best,
Kelly