how do I restore changes to File Type

I have XP Pro.

I was trying to add "command" to the list of actions when
I right click on a folder in the left pane of windows
explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on any
folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with the
command line already pointing to the directory I was in.

A was told to follow these step:
1. From window explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File
Types
2. Select "(NONE) File Folder" and clicked on the
Advanced button.
3. Clicked on New button.
4. Under "Action" I put "command".
5. Under "Application used to perform action" I navigated
to Windows\system32\cmd.exe

When I opened window explorer and click on the left pane
file tree structure and right clicked a folder, it worked.

BUT when I attempt to left click any folder or file on
the right pane, it trys to open a commad box instead of
exploring the folder/file.

I went back into File Types, but Edit and Remove are
disabled. How do I restore my file type so that when I
left click in the right pane of windows explore on a
folder/file, it will explore the folder/file instead of
trying to open a command box.

This is very important that it gets restored, please help!
11 answers Last reply
More about restore file type

    What's so important about it? Will it free the Palestinians?

    There a bug in the dialog. Each time you use it on File folder or Drive you need to type in Start Run
    regsvr32 /i shell32

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:436e01c49f8b$f58dfbd0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    >I have XP Pro.
    >
    > I was trying to add "command" to the list of actions when
    > I right click on a folder in the left pane of windows
    > explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on any
    > folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with the
    > command line already pointing to the directory I was in.
    >
    > A was told to follow these step:
    > 1. From window explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File
    > Types
    > 2. Select "(NONE) File Folder" and clicked on the
    > Advanced button.
    > 3. Clicked on New button.
    > 4. Under "Action" I put "command".
    > 5. Under "Application used to perform action" I navigated
    > to Windows\system32\cmd.exe
    >
    > When I opened window explorer and click on the left pane
    > file tree structure and right clicked a folder, it worked.
    >
    > BUT when I attempt to left click any folder or file on
    > the right pane, it trys to open a commad box instead of
    > exploring the folder/file.
    >
    > I went back into File Types, but Edit and Remove are
    > disabled. How do I restore my file type so that when I
    > left click in the right pane of windows explore on a
    > folder/file, it will explore the folder/file instead of
    > trying to open a command box.
    >
    > This is very important that it gets restored, please help!

    Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't edit
    the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
    remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in the
    right click menu.

    Andrés,

    Try deleting from the registry directly: The options will be present under:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't edit
    the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
    remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in the
    right click menu.

    But it's not the addition that is causing the problem. It is a bug in that dialog that whenever it edits file folders or drives it writes a windows 95/98 entry instead of a windows xp entry. The entries changed in a minor way and you get wierd behaviour. The solution is not to use the dialog, of if you do to type that command afterwards. It writes the winxp entry.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%2346UJT5nEHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Andrés,
    >
    > Try deleting from the registry directly: The options will be present under:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't edit
    > the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
    > remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in the
    > right click menu.

    Hi David,

    Looks like the regsvr32 /i shell32 has worked (as always), was just trying
    to guide Andrés on removing the extra items.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    But it's not the addition that is causing the problem. It is a bug in that
    dialog that whenever it edits file folders or drives it writes a windows
    95/98 entry instead of a windows xp entry. The entries changed in a minor
    way and you get wierd behaviour. The solution is not to use the dialog, of
    if you do to type that command afterwards. It writes the winxp entry.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    > Andrés,
    >
    > Try deleting from the registry directly: The options will be present
    > under:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Andrés Cabán Jr." <andrescabanjr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, it now explores the folder but I still can't edit
    > the File Types, Edit and Remove are disabled. How do I
    > remove what I've added so that it doesn't show up in the
    > right click menu.

    Thanks David the probem was fixed using how you
    suggested. I want to remove the extra items... Ramesh, I
    navigated to the directory... what exactly am I suppose
    to change there? I don't see anything familiar.

    Right-click the key and choose Export. Post the contents here.

    "Find" is present by default, don't remove it.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Thanks David the probem was fixed using how you
    suggested. I want to remove the extra items... Ramesh, I
    navigated to the directory... what exactly am I suppose
    to change there? I don't see anything familiar.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find]
    "SuppressionPolicy"=dword:00000080

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\command]
    @=hex
    (2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,
    6f,00,74,00,25,\

    00,5c,00,45,00,78,00,70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,72,00,2
    e,00,65,00,78,00,\
    65,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec]
    @="[FindFolder(\"%l\", %I)]"
    "NoActivateHandler"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec\applicatio
    n]
    @="Folders"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec\topic]
    @="AppProperties"

    any ideas?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "I was trying to add "command" to the list of
    actions when I right click on a folder in the left pane of
    windows explorer. I wanted to be able to right click on
    any folder and click on "command" to launch DOS with
    the command line already pointing to the directory I
    was in."

    Add Command Line to the right click (Line 26)

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here]
    @="Command &Prompt Here"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here\command]
    @="cmd.exe /k cd %1 "

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    any ideas?
> [...]
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    No additional items found.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    any ideas?

Configuration Command Prompt Explorer Windows XP