Closed Solved

Cheap AMD build or invest in an i3 build

Hello,
I have an AMD build that my friend is selling for $350, but I have been looking at i3 build for the last few weeks and intel looks like they are the best for a budget gaming pc.

This is the AMD build:

GigaByte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard
AMD Athlon2 x4 630 quad-core 2.8GHz processor with OCZ CPU cooler
8gigs G.SKILL DDR2 RAM
n'Vidia GTX 260 video card. Stock fan removed and replaced with a Thermalright HR-03 cooler kit.
Western Digital Caviar 'Black Edition' 1TB hard drive
DVD burner
Cooler Master full size tower case with 550watt power supply
Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

Otherwise I would go with a i3 build with h61 mobo, 6850, 4gb ram, 650w psu, and other parts which will cost me around 550-600.

The cheap AMD build seems pretty good for its price. I just want a system that can play SWTOR on med or high.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cheap build invest build
  1. The 780 is a few generations old now and severely outdated. The i3 is a far better CPU for the money and will run circles around any AMD CPU. However I really wouldn't recommend H61 as it's severely limited functionality in terms of what it can do vs. Z68 and P67.
  2. Seems good for its price yet its used. Add to that you will get a much bigger jump in performance by going with the i3 and you can even upgrade later to an i5 2500k and really increase your gaming. Its not a good buy at 350 i don't think 150 maybe but not 350 but thats my opinion.
  3. g-unit1111 said:
    The 780 is a few generations old now and severely outdated. The i3 is a far better CPU for the money and will run circles around any AMD CPU. However I really wouldn't recommend H61 as it's severely limited functionality in terms of what it can do vs. Z68 and P67.

Where did you get 780 from? Also the h61 is a good option for a budget build is it not? I know that the z68 is going to be the best option but runs at about $50-100 more depending on brand.
  4. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/188?vs=289

2100 is about 50% faster across the board. If it were only 15-20% difference I'd say go for the AMD and add a 6870 and SSD with the savings, but it's tough to justify taking such a huge hit in performance @ the cpu.

I wouldn't say $350 is a bad price, I mean win7 and an HDD will set you back a quick $200 by themselves, it's just too much of a performance hit compared to the over-achieving budget SB chips.
  5. The build he can buy does have windows 7 64 on it already but still i don't really think the amd build is worth the 350.00 over what he could add to that 350.00 and get a better system.
  6. The H61 is fine for a budget build...the extra features are things such as overclocking abilities mainly, and the i3-2100 can't overclock AFAIK. You're good to go. As an alternative, there's the Pentium G840 CPU as well...it's rated pretty well as a gaming CPU:

http://apps.facebook.com/tomsbuilder/9973
  7. Best answer
    lol its hardly have any point putting a p67 or a z68 mobo on an i3 2100 since you wont be overclocking it any time soon, h61 is more than good enough for it, but that amd build for 350$ is good, if you can grab it for 300$ flat or 250$-280$ that amd build from your friend go take it, but if not, build an intel i3 2100 set up
  8. Best answer selected by Aknoon.
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Build AMD Systems