First build - Post Hardware install help

csboarder23

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Thanks to help from the forum, I have finally purchased and installed the components for my first build. I am using an i5-2500k and z68 (ASUS P8Z68 v-LX) mobo. Using onboard video for the next couple months. I have everything installed and after a little tweaking it looks like everything is registerring (fans are working, all RAM is recognized, hard drive and optical drive are recognized, cpu running at 35c temp on the bios screen).

There have been great guides online that I used to help get me to this point, but now I want to take the time to make sure I dont screw it up from here. I have downloaded the latest bios and all the latest drivers for my mobo, but am not sure when to install what.

1. Do I need to install updated bios before installing the OS or can I do it afterwards? If I need to do it before, do I need to get them on a bootable CD, or can i put them zip file on a flash drive and work it from there? If it is the bootable CD approach any help on that process? Not sure if it is done like an iso file or if it is an exe file once unzipped. Any input or direction to online guides is welcome

2. Do I need to do any bios tweaking before/after this for memory timing, general settings, etc? This is my first build, so not sure how much I can leave at default, and what I need to change or tweak before I get going.

3. After I flash the bios, install the OS, update drivers, from there is it just installing AV software and I am good to go or am I completely missing?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I have been relying on guides quite a bit, and have not found anything recent for how to proceed once the hardware has all been installed and recognized, and since I realize I can brick the machine by screwing up the bios portion, figured I would ask the questions and spend another day or two getting my game plan down instead of rushing it and screwing something up. Thanks again and if you need additional info to help answer the questions just let me know.

1 - Yes, it would be advisable to update the BIOS before you install the OS, although it can be done afterwards too. You'd need a Bootable CD to boot from and the BIOS file Unzipped onto a flash drive. The rest of the details are available in the Mobo User manual.

2 - Yes, it's not necessary but always good to weak the BIOS, disable stuff that you will never be using, memory timing set to values actually specified on the RAM, voltages in accordance etc etc.

3 - Yes, you are good to go once everything is installed on the rig.... I wouldn't be wanting to wait a second longer....

It would be wiser to first check if you already have the latest BIOS on the board instead of trying to flash it before you got the rig going though.