Nuuudals

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
So I've gotten myself a new system, everything was running fine except very seldom occurrence of my computer just shutting down by itself. (I'm still stuck with this issue).

I've went ahead an overclocked my processor (nothing major, voltage and everything on stock), ran test with prime and it was fine even after 15 hours of all 3 options.

It ran fine for a few days, until I wokeup one day to realize that I was unable to powerup computer. I've opened it up to observe the problem and I've realize that the first thing that happens is that the power comes on for about 0.5 seconds, fans spinning and stuff. But the power goes off and I am unable to power it up anymore. I've tried replugging the processor and mobo power, the same thing happens. Another point is that sometimes if I hold on to the power button for a slightly longer period of time, it boots up and works fine. (Ran for about 8 hours before I turned it off and went to bed.)

Things I've done are
Use the z68 onboard gfx instead of my 7970, same issue.
Use my old 8800gt, same issue.
Used a old psu, same issue (greater success rate with the random booting)
Using the old psu with the z68 gfx, same issue
Using the old psu with the 8800gt, same issue
Reseated the cooler fan (reapplied my thermal)

Computer Specs (Should have this at the top but I forgot and I'm on my iPhone so sorry)
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
CPU cooler: noctua nd-d14
Graphics card: sapphire hd7970
Ram: G.Skill 1333mhz 2x4gb (black pcb)
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 760w
Storage: Crucial m4 128gb sata3
1Tb Samsung sata2
1tb caviar black sata 3
Chassis: NZXT Phantom USB3 edition

MOST IMPORTANT, a slight bit of coke was spilt into the fan at the top, I'm not sure if it has dropped on anything. (The system was running fine after the small spill, but problem started occurring the next day).

I'm fine with replacing whatever is spoilt, (the person who spilt the coke on my system is paying). But I need help with fixing it or finding out what is spoilt so I can repair/replace. Thanks!

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Do you know what components got hit? It sounds like a heat issue your over clocking so putting more heat to the cpu any way. If it gets to hot it will shut down to protect itself run a program and monitor the temperatures in your system (many mother board disks come with some type of monitor).

Nuuudals

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Do note that I've repeatedly try to turn it on and im not meeting with any success. And I doubt it is a heat problem when prime ran fine for so long. Temps were fine too, they were siting at 39-41 Degree C at windows.

Now after replugging the motherboard and processor cables, it's turning on for 3 seconds then off, and on and off. All by itself. I'm not even sure the drink spilt on any components, the most possible location would be the nh-d14 but it was clean when I took it out.

Oh and yes, that means I'm unable to boot into windows so any test is not possible

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Did you try unplugging the fan that got coke spilled on it?
Try unplugging everything except for the motherboard, remove processor and ram, leave computer speaker plugged in to the motherboard if you have it.

Try to turn on the system.

If you have power and beeping, then you have isolated the problem to something that you have unplugged.

If no power then the problem is either the motherboard or the power supply.

If you have power, then try installing one item at a time and try to turn the power on until you can't turn the power on anymore.

Nuuudals

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Quick update, everything unplugged except for the motherboard power. It did not work with my current PSU. Same issue, turns on for a split second and goes off.

I took my old working PSU and plugged it in, same setup with only the motherboard power and casing lights. The problem persists.

I've tried turning it on with both the casing power on/off button and the power on/off on the motherboard itself. And yes, the fans are unplugged.

Is it safe for me to assume that it is the motherboard now?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Also, check for any screws that may have slipped into cracks in around the circuitry on the motherboard, make sure it isn't touching any metal.

You didn't mention if you pulled the CPU and RAM out.

Try putting just the CPU back in and see what happens.

Nuuudals

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Everything was out, only the mobo and psu.

Alright, I'm outside right now but I'll try that out. And by putting the CPU back in, do I put my cooler as well or just the i5 chip?

Pretty sure it's clear of screws. I will double check that too.

Thanks for the help so far! Glad I'm not stuck fixing it alone!

Nuuudals

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Will do~ As soon as I get back home when my night class ends!

I've already prepared the necessary stuff for RMA-ing my mobo, and if needed my PSU.

Ah crap, that means I have to reapply thermal paste, wonder if I had any more lint free cloth around

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
In this case, save the paste, just in case the mobo is 100% dead.

If you're just testing, then putting the heatsink on with little/no paste will be ok. You just don't want to "shock" the CPU for a few seconds with heat.

Nuuudals

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Ok, got my motherboard replaced, EVERYTHING is working fine!
I am now stress testing my i5 at 4.5ghz.

Thanks for all the help, everyone who did.

And madmax, really really big thank you to you for all that you've helped me with! CHEERS! :bounce:

Unable to select best answer on both IE and firefox :(