how the AMDs differ form names(clawhammer, vanice........)

nimesha

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Hi,

I'm going to buy a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (soket 939) processor. Please let me know how to identify it's name(I mean weather it is vanice or clawhammer or another one) form it's model number. I'm searching for this because, Tom's hardware's processor benchmarks indicates that the AMD Athlon 64 3500+(vanice) is in somewhat higher place than other Athlon 64 3500+ (soket 939) processors under the same configurations(mainboard, graphic card......etc)

And I also like to know how can these processors perform differently with the same clock speed and the multiplier with different names.

Thank you,
Nimesh

Kurita

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
The processors perform differently because of minor optimisations to the core to reduce latencies and increase efficiencies. Cache amounts often change too, which further changes performance levels.

I dont really know how to identify a processors name from its model number though, so Ill leave it to someone more knowledgable.

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I dunno about the model names, but Kurita is right about the cores. Each core is tweaked differently.

Venice is the newest, and what you should be looking at. When you buy make sure the product description explicitly states what socket the CPU is. (You want socket 939. There are socket AM2 Athlon 64 3500 available!)

And again, they preform differently because of the various optimizations in the CPU architecture, not just changing clock speed.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
The Venices' always end with a BP like in this picture for the ADA3200DAA4BP:
cpu_top.jpg

Furthermore, there's revision E4 and E6 venices (the latter being the better, but then you've got to check stepping carefully.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I'm not sure either about that amd 64 3500+. But if I were you I'd wait for the "Farthammer" to come out. It's supposed to win out penryn by lots. If it ever comes out that is.

nimesha

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Hi again,

Thanks to all of you for replying me, you guys are very helpful. According to m25 the venices' model numbers are ends with "BP", but Unfortuantely in my country, only available "BW"s (ADA3500DAA4BW). can you please tell me what is the name for this one and then I can check out the performance charts and buy the best one.

And I also like to know, it is said to as nVidia chipsets are better than VIA chipsets even they transfer rates are equal. is this true?

Thanx
Nimesh

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I am sorry for misinforming you, but 'BP' Athlon64s are are retail venices while 'BW's are still Venices, but it's only that they're OEM versions, so it will be just fine.
And, yes, VIA chipsets are the cheapest and lowest performers of all, however, you won't feel the difference unless you are overclocking. However, just google AMD's site to get more. Here you also have a useful list of Venice steppings and their overclocks:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62353